[soc.religion.christian] Like a Rosary

cms@gatech.edu (09/18/90)

In article <Sep.13.04.20.46.1990.24979@athos.rutgers.edu>, nlt@duke.cs.duke.edu (N. L. Tinkham) writes:
>      The Rosary discussion prompts me to pose to net.readers the
> following query:
>
>      From what I know of my temperament and my limited experience with
> the Rosary, I sense that the form of meditation done in the Rosary is
> a good one for me:  the repetition of a group of phrases clears my mind
> and calms my spirit so as to focus on the object of meditation.  However,
> I feel uncomfortable with the large number of "Hail Mary"s:  while I
> respect the role that Marian devotion plays in many people's prayer life,
> I find that, for me, the veneration of Mary is more distracting than
> helpful.
>
>      Given that, are there Rosary-like prayer forms in the Christian
> tradition that are not Marian devotions?  (I am aware of the use of the
> Jesus Prayer in Eastern tradition; I am hoping that there are other,
> similar repetitive prayers in use.)  Pointers to books or pamphlets
> would be helpful, although even names and brief descriptions would
> give a place to start in the library.

 I'm a great collector of different kinds of Rosaries; I have
descriptions of how to pray over 40 different kinds.  Mantras vary
from Rosary to Rosary although the standard mantra is the Hail Mary.
When suggesting different mantras to some devout Catholics, I've often
gotten the response, "Oh, but you pray for xxx graces and without
those Hail Marys..." :-).  Regardless, the Old Dominican Rosary, which
also has a slightly different set of mysteries (including Washing of
the Disciples' Feet, the Incarnation instead of the Anuncation, etc.;
I don't have my notes handy), uses three different mantras:

Joyful Mysteries:      Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on us.
Sorrowful Mysteries:   Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews, have mercy
                         on us.
Glorious Mysteries:    Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have
                         mercy on us.

 I have a whole list of mantras that I can post if you and others are
interested.  Francis of Assissi's peace prayer is a good mantra (try
praying the first part for one decade, the second part for the next
decade, or some variation thereof).

 There's also a booklet called "Christianica" for those who enjoy
meditating on the mysteries of our Redemption but feel uncomfortable
with the Rosary as a concept.  It is divided into thirty mysteries.
Here's the format.

Step 1.  Pray the Our Father
Step 2.  Read a Scripture verse relevant to the meditation
Step 3.  Pray the mantra (called the "refrain" in this booklet)
Step 4.  Read next verse in the passage
Step 5.  Pray mantra ("refrain")
 etc.  I noticed there are ten verses (no surprise)
Step 6.  Recite concluding antiphon

That looks confusing.  Let me give the example in the booklet:

 The thirteenth meditation is "Riches."

Step 1.  Our Father
Step 2.  Pray:  Jesus declared, "How hard it is for those who have
                riches to enter the kingdom of God!"  (Lk 18:24)
Step 3.  Pray refrain:  "Keep your life free
                        from love of money,
                        for the love of money
                        is the root of all evils." (Hb 13:5;1Tim6:10)
Step 4.  Pray next verse:  "For it is easier for a camel to go through
                           the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to
                           enter the kingdom of God."  (Lk 18:25)

Step 5.  Think about the second verse as you pray the refrain.
Step 6.  After completing the verses, pray the antiphon:

         "Be content with what you have;" (well, I won't type it all)

For group meditation, just like the Scriptural Rosary (if you've ever
prayed it in a group), the Leader recites the Scriptural verses, the
group recites the mantra (refrain).

At any rate, here are the 30 Meditations of the Christianica:

Part 1:  The Prelude:

1.  Creation and the Fall of Man
2.  The Law and the Prophets
3.  The Incarnation
4.  The Nativity
5.  The Precursor

Part 2:  The Metanoia

6.  Temptation in the Wilderness
7.  Miracles
8.  The Beatitudes
9.  Love
10. Compassion

Part 3:  The Paradox

11.  Providence
12.  Submission and Forgiveness
13.  Riches
14.  Almsgiving
15.  Prayer

Part 4:  The Callenge

16.  Persecution
17.  Sin
18.  Conversion
19.  Marriage
20.  Apostleship

Part 5:  The Climax

21.  The Kingdom of God
22.  The Church
23.  The Eucharist
24.  The Passion
25.  The Crucifixion

Part 6:  The Triumph

26.  The Resurrection
27.  The Ascension
28.  Pentecost
29.  The Second Coming
30.  The Last Judgment

 By the way, the meditations of the triumph are the same as the
Glorious Mysteries of the Old Dominican Rosary.  Well, hope this
helps.

 Oh, yes:  Christianica:  The Basic Teachings of the Christian Faith
                            arranged for Prayer and Meditation
           Christianica Center
           6 North Michigan Avenue
           Chicago, Illinois   60602