[soc.religion.christian] Shampoo

dg@pallio.uucp (David Goodenough) (08/17/90)

OFM writes:
> ..... He used it [shampoo] on a Sunday when he had a bad cold, so he
> was unable to smell the fact that the liquid was not what he expected.

Ummm ..... having assisted as Sub-Deacon at Mass in an Episcopal church,
one question comes to mind. Since the Celebrant first administers communion
to himself (i.e. he eats the priest's host, and takes a sip of wine), how
come he didn't notice it then? I can buy the bit about not smelling it,
but I can't believe that a cold, no matter _HOW_ bad, is going to destroy
your sense of taste to the point that you can't tell wine from shampoo.

> But the question that interested my
> friend was: what do you do with consecrated shampoo?  He says that
> nobody would tell him what was finally done.

You wouldn't need to do anything with it. Since it wasn't wine, it couldn't
have been consecrated in the first place (remember, they ate and drank at
the last supper, the washing was limited to feet), so it's a moot point.
It'd be the same question as asking "what would you do with the wine
consecrated by a lay person imitating the Mass?". Nothing. Since it was
done by leity, no consecration happened, so it's still ordinary wine.

			In Christ,
--
	dg@pallio.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (08/21/90)

In article <Aug.17.03.33.18.1990.7804@athos.rutgers.edu> dg@pallio.uucp (David Goodenough) writes:

[stuff about someone consecrating shampoo accidentally deleted]

>> But the question that interested my
>> friend was: what do you do with consecrated shampoo?  He says that
>> nobody would tell him what was finally done.
>
>You wouldn't need to do anything with it. Since it wasn't wine, it couldn't
>have been consecrated in the first place (remember, they ate and drank at
>the last supper, the washing was limited to feet), so it's a moot point.
>It'd be the same question as asking "what would you do with the wine
>consecrated by a lay person imitating the Mass?". Nothing. Since it was
>done by leity, no consecration happened, so it's still ordinary wine.

I have a question.  What leads anybody to believe that the bread or wine
is somehow different after being consecrated?  (I'm assuming here that
consecration is defined to be a prayer involving the bread and wine).
To me, it seems the only thing you're doing when you consecrate the
wine is letting God know you're thankful for him giving up his life for
you.  The only way the wine is involved is that it sorta looks like blood
and therefore will remind you of the blood Christ shed.  The prayer is
supposed to affect your heart and God, not the wine (or shampoo, as the
case may be).  You're not praying for a miracle to change the wine into
something it isn't.

Kinda reminds me of a cartoon I saw once:  A family is sitting around
the dinner table, about to eat.  A caption above a little girl's head
say this: "Dear God, please heal this chicken."

So, if the shampoo reminded you of how Christ gave up His life and shed
His blood, then it did just as well as wine.  But, if all it did was
cause you to try to determine what to do with consecrated shampoo
according to the rules of your church, then you're missing the whole
point.

%set soapboxmode

I think that when Christ did the Lord's Supper, he was asking his disciples
(not only his followers, but his friends) to think about Him every
time they did what they were doing at that moment -- eating.  All of
us have eating in common, so we can all remember what Christ did for
us when we eat.  In other words, Jesus was trying to say:  "Think of Me
and remember what I've done for you every time you eat."  He gave the
wonderful analogy of bread being His body and wine being His blood.
That serves to make us associate bread with His body and wine with His blood.
Sometime since then, a group of friends who followed Christ ate together
and decided that they should remember Christ's shed blood, since that's
what he asked.  Now, since a church is nothing but a group of friends
who follow Jesus, churches are still doing that very same thing today.
The only thing is that (as happens so often), this symbol has lost its
real purpose and meaning in a bunch of regulations, traditions, and rules
set up by _Offical_Church_Organizations_(tm).

So, we should try to do as Christ really meant and remember Him any time
we eat, not just when we drink wine (or grape juice or whatever) and eat
bread at a church building when a minister or priest or deacon hands it
to us.  So, next time you have a Welch's grape soda and a couple of Wheat
Thins, remember how Christ gave up his body and shed his blood for you,
and don't forget to thank God for it.

%unset soapboxmode

"The beauty queen, clevely clad,                    Logan Shaw
 admires herself in a cigarette ad.                 lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Will she admit that all was in vain                ========================
 when the face in her mirror cracks like a windowpane?"
              -Elim Hall, _Things_Break_

[There are several answers to your question, depending upon how far
you want to push things.  Ultimately we have the Catholic position,
which is that bread and wine used in communion actually become
Christ's body and blood, in such as way that there's no bread and wine
there anymore.  The scriptural evidence, including the words of
institution, and various passages in John and Paul, is given by John
DiMarco in another posting in this group.  However customs that
involve respectful treatment of the elements need not depend upon
transsubstantiation.  Even if you see them as simply symbolic of
Christ's presence with us, it is common to treat symbols with the same
honor you would treat the original.  Why are people so upset about
burning the American flag?  The rule that consecrated bread and wine
must be reverently consumed, and can't just be flushed down the drain,
is in some ways similar to the rule that wornout flags must be
reverently buried or cremated: respect is being shown symbolically to
Christ.  At my Presbyterian church, for a number of years leftover
bread was fed to the birds.  No doubt Francis of Assisi would have
approved.  --clh]

jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com (09/20/90)

The moderator commented:

    The rule that consecrated bread and wine must be reverently
    consumed, and can't just be flushed down the drain, is in some ways
    similar to the rule that wornout flags must be reverently buried or
    cremated: respect is being shown symbolically to Christ.  At my
    Presbyterian church, for a number of years leftover bread was fed to
    the birds.  No doubt Francis of Assisi would have approved.  --clh]

:-)

No doubt he would not have.  He was a Catholic cleric in major orders (a
deacon, if I recall) at a time when transubstantiation was already
Catholic doctrine.

[The suggestion was not meant entirely seriously.  --clh]