[soc.religion.christian] Critical Text, the Pearl of Great Price & Spaulding Theory

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (09/20/90)

In article <Sep.17.03.11.28.1990.17306@athos.rutgers.edu> emory!dragon!cms@gatech.edu writes:

> I have a copy of a Book of Mormon Critical Text, however, I am
>hunting for a critical text of the Pearl of Great Price.  Does anyone
>know where I can obtain such a copy without (cough) encouraging
>further mailings from the Mormon Church?  Thanks in advance.

As far as I know no such thing exists.  Even the critical text for
the Book of Mormon is not in any way official but is put out by an
organization totally independent from the church.  If you have
specific questions about the PoGP I will attempt to answer them but
I do not consider myself any sort of textual critic.

> Also, someone earlier discredited the Spaulding theory saying that
>his manuscript had been found and did not bear any relation to the
>Book of Mormon.  This is patently false.  The most serious and
>earliest proponents of the Spaulding theory never claimed that the
>manuscript in their possession was the manuscript upon which the Book
>of Mormon was based.  Rather, it was their opinion that the manuscript
>was a major revision of a since-lost earlier work and it is this
>earlier work upon which the Book of Mormon is based.  The theory is
>_not_ discredited.

Well, you are partly correct.  The current "Spaulding theory" claims
that the BoM is based on a still lost manuscript.  However the
original theory found in E.D. Howe's book _Mormonism Unveiled_
specifies by name Spaulding's _Manuscript Found_ (hereafter
abbreviated "MF") as the source.  That is the same title on the
Spaulding manuscript found in Hawaii.  Since MF is obviously nothing
like the BoM the original theory is clearly discredited.

Current Spaulding theory holds that there was another manuscript
called, as I remember, _Manuscript Story_ that formed the basis for
the BoM.  Perhaps a summary of this theory would be in order.  (My
main source is volume 2 of Kirkham's _A New Witness for Christ in
America_ p122ff.  This book includes many original letters and
other documents bearing on the issue.)

E.D. Howe ran an Ohio newspaper and was an enemy of the LDS Church.
It appears that he was in collaboration with D.P. Hurlburt who had
been excommunicated from the church for immorality.  It is not clear
which of the 2 formulated the theory published in Howe's book.  The
theory is:

1.  Spaulding left MF with a printer, attempting to get it
published.  The printer however did not publish it.  (This much
is quite certain, records indicate that it is true.  Also now that
we have MF we can understand why it was not published, it was not
likely to sell many copies.)

2.  Sidney Rigdon obtained MF from the printer and used it as the
basis for the BoM which he intended to have published by the same
printer who had provided him with the manuscript.

3.  The printer died so Rigdon started looking for some other way to
publish without him.  He heard of Joseph Smith in upstate New York
(all this was happening in Ohio) and contacted him.

4.  Rigdon provided the manuscript to Smith in installments and
Smith added his "fertile imagination" to get it printed.

There were confusing claims as to the fate of the actual manuscript.
There is an existing letter from Hurlburt indicating that he
obtained it from Spaulding's widow and carried it to Howe without
so much as opening it to read any of it.  Others claim he sold it to
the church for $400 and it was then burned.  Since the manuscript
exists today, the latter claim is obviously disproven.

This theory already has a couple of severe problems:

1.  Why did neither Howe nor Hurlburt make public the contents of
MF?  If, as they claim, it formed the basis of the BoM prompt
publication would have been the best way to achieve their avowed aim
of debunking the BoM.

2.  How did Rigdon hear of Joseph Smith?  Although there are
published references to his vivid imagination (as well as
conflicting accusations that he was dull and unimaginitive) they all
date from after the time he announced the forthcomming BoM.  Ohio
was a long way from upstate New York and only particularly newsworthy
events in NY would have been known in Ohio.  The first reliable record
we have of contact between Rigdon and Smith is well after the
publication of the BoM.

Anyway, this was the Spaulding theory until MF turned up in Hawaii
in the hands of a former newspaperman from Ohio.  (I believe he came
across it looking through some papers he had mostly on slavery.)  At
that point the BoM critics concluded there must be another Spaulding
manuscript.  This is the second Spaulding theory, the one proposed
today.  I know of no believable evidence in its favor, it seems to
me to be a desperation measure resorted to when the first theory
failed.  I think it suffers from both problems listed above plus
the fact that we now have a long sample of Spaulding's writing to
compare with the BoM.  The 2 works simply do not show evidence of
common authorship.  I think that any literary critic examining the
BoM and the Spaulding work we have would agree that they are not by
the same author.  Wordprint analysis also gives a very low
probability that the BoM is by the same author as the known
Spaulding manuscript.  (See _The Book of Mormon, New Light on
Ancient Origins_, article by Larson and Rencher.)  I conclude that
the original Spaulding theory is totally discredited and that the
second theory has no evidence in its favor and significant evidence
against it.