[soc.religion.christian] Who's a Christian and who isn't, anyway?

atterlep@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Alan T. Terlep) (09/18/90)

In article <Sep.13.02.22.33.1990.23870@athos.rutgers.edu> kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (An Appalachian Hillybilly) writes:
>Criteria for distinguishing Real Christians (tm) from Cheap Imitations:
>
>  a) Do they recognise The Right And True Scriptures?
>  b) Do they believe Weird Things About History?
>  c) Is their theology Correct?

>a) I am curious to know if I should throw out people who include the
>   Apocrypha, or if they should throw me out?  Somebody's got to go...

  Why does someone have to go?  Belief or non-belief in the Apocrypha has
nothing to do with loving your neighbor.  That's the point of Christianity--
that a person with faith and love in his/her heart is pleasing to God.

>"Christianity isn't about `us' and `them' -- that's the whole point."
>                                                           -- Larry Dungan

  That's right.  And since Christianity isn't about "us" and "them", and is,
in fact, based on treating us and them the same, why are we trying to figure
out which is which?

--
Alan Terlep     			"Violence is the last refuge of the
Oakland University, Rochester, MI	   incompetent."

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (09/20/90)

In article <Sep.13.02.22.33.1990.23870@athos.rutgers.edu> kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (An Appalachian Hillybilly) writes:
>At Severna Park Baptist Church, the pastor precedes the Lord's Supper
>service by saying "Our policy here is that all Christians are welcome
>at the Lord's Table, and if you are a Christian please feel welcome to
>partake of the Supper with us."  (Note that the exact definition of
>`Christian' is left to the individuals themselves.)

>On the bulletins at Our Shepherd Lutheran Church, there is a note that
>says "Communion is celebrated every week, and all who acknowledge the
>Lordship of Christ are welcome."

	In the Episcopal Church, the Eucharist is open to all who have
been baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
In the United Methodist Church, the requirement is merely that one
repent of one's sins, sincerely intend amendment of life, and be in love
and charity with one's neighbors.

	In some traditions (notably those using the common chalice),
there are mechanical difficulties associated with opening communion to
those not instructed in common practice. For those reasons (primarily),
I personally favor requiring new communicants to participate in an
instructional Eucharist prior to partaking of the Sacrament with the
rest of the parish. Some parishes schedule periodic instructional
Eucharist for the entire congregation. This would not be an invalidation
of one's previous Christian life (there was some tinge of that in the
old Episcopalian Confirmation requirement), but merely a tool to assist
the communicant in how to receive the Sacrament in a way which doesn't
distract him or his fellow worshipers from its spiritual meaning.

>Criteria for distinguishing Real Christians (tm) from Cheap Imitations:

>  a) Do they recognise The Right And True Scriptures?
>  b) Do they believe Weird Things About History?
>  c) Is their theology Correct?

>Problems:

>a) I am curious to know if I should throw out people who include the
>   Apocrypha, or if they should throw me out?  Somebody's got to go...

	I think this is a red herring. In the Anglican communion we
accept the Apocrypha "for instruction of life and manners", but grant it
no authority in the formulation of doctrine. Are you implying there are
dangerous things in the Apocrypha?

[At this point Kilroy proposed other matters on which Christians might
disagree, including the unity of Isaiah and heresies such as subtle
problems with the Trinity.  As he says, "few people can talk about the
Trinity for more than 10 minutes without falling into one standard
heresy or another."
>I have in my head the idea of `mistaken Christians':  when I encounter
>a person who accepts Christ's Lordship but who has theological or
>historical beliefs that I consider erroneous, I do not doubt her
>Christianity -- I simply consider her a mistaken Christian.
--clh]

Amen.

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com

daveh@tekcrl.labs.tek.com (David Hatcher) (09/23/90)

In article <Sep.18.05.06.06.1990.9651@athos.rutgers.edu> atterlep@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Alan T. Terlep) writes:
>In article <Sep.13.02.22.33.1990.23870@athos.rutgers.edu> kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (An Appalachian Hillybilly) writes:
>>"Christianity isn't about `us' and `them' -- that's the whole point."
>>                                                           -- Larry Dungan
>
>  That's right.  And since Christianity isn't about "us" and "them", and is,
>in fact, based on treating us and them the same, why are we trying to figure
>out which is which?

  I'm in total agreement here.

  Which is why I'm having such a hard time in understanding the
  reasoning and justification for why a "us" and "them" attitude is
  so prevalent among so much of Christianity? The roots of such an
  attitude seems to run counter to everything that brings people
  together through a heart that is open to love and understanding.

	David Hatcher

		Submission to the Spirit is an art which is only
		learned through years of trial and error, success
		and failure. Only gradually does one come to
		possess a delicate sensitivity to the inner motions
		of grace so as to be moved by the Spirit in one's
		life. And the art or gift by which we come to
		recognize the inner voice of the Spirit is
		called discernment.

				     William Johnston
				_The Inner Eye of Love_