[soc.religion.christian] Christ's 2nd Coming?

watson@uunet.uu.net (Steve Watson) (09/20/90)

Excerpted from recent postings on talk.relegion.misc & soc.religion.christian:

In article <1990Sep13.143545.18782@swbatl.sbc.com> kamphau@oktext.UUCP
 (Mark Kamphaus) writes:
>Postmillenium is not a total christian concept.  It was originated
>by a unitarian minister reconciling different beliefs.
>If you want to look at the timing of the
>new age movement and the postmillenial revival, then you can draw your
>own conclusions.

and:
>From: ccicpg!cci632!dls@uunet.uu.net (Darren Swartzendruber)
>I, too, did not feel led to pray in agreement for a peaceful solution in
>the Middle East with the "New Agers", not because of who I'd be in company
>with, but because we should be praying for God's will to be done.  As part
>of any prayer that I pray that His will be done, I also pray that He prepares
>me to accept His will, because lets face it, we may not like it.
..deletions...
>current Middle East events all point to the Lord coming soon!

The above postings exemplify some of the reasons I no longer belong to a
fundamentalist church.

1) The quoted part of the Kamphaus posting is pure
inuendo: why can Christians never just *disagree* with each other?
Why must they always insinuate that the opposing viewpoint is part of some
satanic plot?   I now belong to a mainline liberal church (United
Church of Canada).  I don't always agree with what goes on there, but
I find it much more pleasant that people don't have this whole doctrinal
agenda which one is expected to accept lock, stock & barrel, or there's
something wrong with one's faith. ( :-) I would make a lousy Roman
Catholic, too. :-)  )

2) As for praying for peace in Iraq: I assume that the God who commanded
"Thou shalt do no murder", who "takes no pleasure in the death of the
wicked", and (especially) "...who so loved the world, etc." does not,
in his perfect will, want the death and agony brought by war.  He does
of course, frequently ALLOW it because he allows us free will.  But
I object to the idea of refraining from prayer for peace because
one thinks that war is part of the prophesied Armageddon/Tribulation/2nd_Coming
or whatever.  Interpretations of prophecy seem to vary so widely (right,
Mr. Kamphaus?) that they have lost all credibility with me.

I therefore find it appalling that Christians set aside what I see as
fundamental ethical issues in favour of their pet scheme of prophetic
interpretation.  As another example, prophecy is used to justify whatever
the State of Israel does (against the Palestinians for e.g.) because
Israel's existence is necessary to some people's eschatology.  I don't want
to get into a major debate on the Palestinian question: granted the PLO
are terrorists, the Palestinians aren't saints, but they ARE real people
who have been conquered & displaced, and continue to be exploited and kicked
around.  They deserve justice.  Looking at events only in terms of prophetic
interpretation degrades the people of the MidEast into ciphers in an
eschatological game: not people whom God loves and for whom Christ died.

I believe Jesus' teaching about the 'thief in the night' indicates
that we are *not* to know about his coming, or spend a lot of time
combing the Bible for every verse that might let us second-guess the
divine time-table (and then dis-fellowship everyone who did the same thing,
but came to a different conclusion!).  No, we are to make ready for the Lord
by doing our duty: 'do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God' (Mic
6:8).  Whether he comes today or in the year 3000 is his problem, not ours.

						IHN,

--
====================== disclaimer ===============================
"Blame me, not the Company I keep..." - Steve Watson

dls@uunet.uu.net (Darren Swartzendruber) (09/25/90)

>Excerpted from recent postings on talk.relegion.misc & soc.religion.christian:

>In article <1990Sep13.143545.18782@swbatl.sbc.com> kamphau@oktext.UUCP
> (Mark Kamphaus) writes:
>and:
>>From: ccicpg!cci632!dls@uunet.uu.net (Darren Swartzendruber)

(...stuff deleted...)

Steve writes:
>                I now belong to a mainline liberal church (United
>Church of Canada).  I don't always agree with what goes on there, but
>I find it much more pleasant that people don't have this whole doctrinal
>agenda which one is expected to accept lock, stock & barrel, or there's
>something wrong with one's faith.

That is the problem with liberalism, you can believe only the parts
that you like, discarding the parts you don't like.  If I went to a church
that did not "jive" with what I believe to be the truth, then I would
find a new church.  If you can't find a church that you believe is
teaching the "truth", then don't go to church!  Who says who HAVE to go
to church?  Pray, seek, and read after the Lord and He will give you
direction and understanding.  That is why I believe the church I attend
is teaching the truth.

>2) As for praying for peace in Iraq: I assume that the God who commanded
>"Thou shalt do no murder", who "takes no pleasure in the death of the
>wicked", and (especially) "...who so loved the world, etc." does not,
>in his perfect will, want the death and agony brought by war.  He does
>of course, frequently ALLOW it because he allows us free will.

Well, God has destroyed cities.  David killed Goliath.  Joshua and the
people of Israel took Jerrico.  As you said above, God allows murder
because of free will, but I also believe He allows it for His purpose.

>                                                                But
>I object to the idea of refraining from prayer for peace because
>one thinks that war is part of the prophesied Armageddon/Tribulation/2nd_Coming
>or whatever.

I am sorry if my posting implied that.  I pray for peace in the world
everyday, but I NEVER pray for God to stop His timetable of events to
come so we could have peace all over the world.

>              Interpretations of prophecy seem to vary so widely (right,
>Mr. Kamphaus?) that they have lost all credibility with me.
>
>I therefore find it appalling that Christians set aside what I see as
>fundamental ethical issues in favour of their pet scheme of prophetic
>interpretation.  As another example, prophecy is used to justify whatever
>the State of Israel does (against the Palestinians for e.g.) because
>Israel's existence is necessary to some people's eschatology.

Well, it works both ways.  The government of Israel (I forget its proper
name) has its sessions televised somewhat like we have C-SPAN.  Recently,
the Rabbi of this governmental body stood up and asked everyone to take
out their Bibles.  (The members all reach under their desks and retrieve
their Bibles.  You'd never see this in the US Congress!)  The Rabbi then
read and said that God has promised to protect Israel and that Israel
should not worry about the Iraqi threat.  Here is prophesy working for good.

>Israel's existence is necessary to some people's eschatology.

That is because the whole world is centered on Israel.  Governments and
religions.  Israel is God's nation and there are many prophesies concerning
Israel to be fullfilled.

(...stuff deleted ...)

>                                Looking at events only in terms of prophetic
>interpretation degrades the people of the MidEast into ciphers in an
>eschatological game: not people whom God loves and for whom Christ died.

These people have rejected God.  God doesn't have to give prophesy.  His
purposes would still track to His schedule.  Prophesies should do the
opposite (of degrading people), it should up-lift.  Having a prophesy
come true gives credability to the word of God.  It makes me excited to
see prophesy come true because it reassures me that God does as He promises.

>I believe Jesus' teaching about the 'thief in the night' indicates
>that we are *not* to know about his coming, or spend a lot of time
>combing the Bible for every verse that might let us second-guess the
>divine time-table (and then dis-fellowship everyone who did the same thing,
>but came to a different conclusion!).  No, we are to make ready for the Lord
>by doing our duty: 'do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God' (Mic
>6:8).

Lets look at the teaching of the "thief in the night":

*Matthew 24:42-44:
       42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
       43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what
  watch  the  thief  would  come, he would have watched, and would not have
  suffered his house to be broken up.
       44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye  think  not
  the Son of man cometh.

*Luke 12:36-40:
       36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he
  will  return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may
  open unto him immediately.
       37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when  he  cometh  shall
  find  watching:  verily  I  say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and
  make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
       38 And if he shall come in the second watch, or come  in  the  third
  watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.
       39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house  had  known  what
  hour  the  thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered
  his house to be broken through.
       40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an  hour
  when ye think not.

*1-Thessalonians 5:1-9:
       1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I
  write unto you.
       2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord  so  cometh
  as a thief in the night.
       3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction
  cometh  upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not
  escape.
       4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should  over-
  take you as a thief.
       5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day:  we
  are not of the night, nor of darkness.
       6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and  be
  sober.
       7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that  be  drunken
  are drunken in the night.
       8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on  the  breast-
  plate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
       9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by
  our Lord Jesus Christ,

*2nd Peter 3:9-14:
       9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as  some  men  count
  slackness;  but  is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should
  perish, but that all should come to repentance.
       10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the
  which  the  heavens  shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements
  shall melt with fervent heat, the earth  also  and  the  works  that  are
  therein shall be burned up.
       11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner
  of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
       12 Looking for and hasting unto  the  coming  of  the  day  of  God,
  wherein  the  heavens  being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements
  shall melt with fervent heat?
       13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for  new  heavens
  and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
       14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be dili-
  gent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

*Revelation 3:2-3:
       2 Be watchful, and strengthen the  things  which  remain,  that  are
  ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
       3 Remember therefore how thou hast  received  and  heard,  and  hold
  fast, and repent.  If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee
  as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

*Revelation 16:15-16:
       15 Behold, I come as a thief.  Blessed  is  he  that  watcheth,  and
  keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
       16 And he gathered them together into a place called in  the  Hebrew
  tongue Armageddon.

These are all the references to "the thief in the night" in the NT.  All say,
in the words of Matthew (24:42}, "watch therefore: for ye know not what
hour your Lord doth come."

I am NOT saying that we are to guess/know exactly when the Lord is to
come, but we need to be ready and keep a watchful eye, OR the Lord will
come as a thief in the night.

>       Whether he comes today or in the year 3000 is his problem, not ours.

Actually, it is our problem.  It is another day we are not in the presence
of the Lord!

>						IHN,
>====================== disclaimer ===============================
>"Blame me, not the Company I keep..." - Steve Watson
>UseNet: mitel!spock!watson@uunet.uu.net

God Bless,

Darren Swartzendruber                N2KTJ                    dls@cci632.UUCP

mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) (09/26/90)

In article <Sep.20.03.11.41.1990.19334@athos.rutgers.edu> mitel!spock!watson@uunet.uu.net (Steve Watson) writes:
>  I now belong to a mainline liberal church (United
>Church of Canada).  I don't always agree with what goes on there, but
>I find it much more pleasant that people don't have this whole doctrinal
>agenda which one is expected to accept lock, stock & barrel, or there's
>something wrong with one's faith. ( :-) I would make a lousy Roman
>Catholic, too. :-)  )

Smilies noted, but I think the RC Church is far more flexible
than you and many other non-RCs imagine. As a Roman Catholic, I
have never felt forced to believe in anything. In a lot of
cases though, Catholic teaching which I have found difficult
has in time come to make sense.

My own views differ a lot from Joe Buehler's, who I am sure
would admit himself that he is a somewhat conservative
Catholic, but I am quite happy to share a Church with him (I
hope he is happy to share one with me :-) ).

Matthew Huntbach