[soc.religion.christian] Poll concerning Jesus's resurrection

howard@53iss6.waterloo.ncr.com (Howard Steel) (09/17/90)

	      ^
>>My perspective was
>>and remains that the message is the important factor in this case. The
>>validity of Christianity would not to me be undermined if it was found that
>>the story <of the resurrection> was fictitious. If it is treated as a
>>"teaching story", it would  still hold great meaning for me.

>Why would it still hold great meaning for you?
Because the truth of a message need not always be verified in an event.

When I was younger, I used to pass an old bumb on the way to and from church
who would beg money from those he saw. As children we were given some money
by our parents, some of which was for the offering, and the rest was for a
treat after the service. As children sometimes do, we would snigger and make
fun at the beggars expense and carry on our way (never once offering him a
portion of our treasure, despite his obvious need). One day, being a little
careless, I lost the money I normally take and began to cry as I made my way
to the church. The bumb asked me why I was crying, and I wailed that I had lost
my money for the church collection (inside I was actually bemoaning the treat
that would not be mine that day). He reached an old dirty hand into his
tattered jacket and pulled out a dollar, and said, "take this and buy yourself
a treat after church, God will understand". I accepted the money and vowed to
myself that this would be the last time I made fun of this kindly man. In fact
I planned to do something for him the very next day, if I could. The day of
course did not come, and it was only a few days later that I learned that the
old beggar had died, penniless, of exposure and malnutrition, on that very
spot where he had been so kind to me despite the cruelness I and others had
heaped upon him.

The message at various levels in this is obvious; the story however is a
complete fabrication. If I had passed this off as being true, or more
simply stated it without saying one way or the other, some people could be
moved to reflection. Over the years the story could be told and re-told again,
as part of larger group of stories (which could all very well be true). If
we learned later that this was not an actual event, would we then deny all the
changes that have occured because of the story, or would we throw away the
meaning in the story because of this; I don't think so.

I look at the resurrection story and what has grown from it. I don't need a
verification of that event to justify the changes that have occured as a result
of the story. In fact I don't need the event itself any longer, I just listen
to the message.

>You would be deriving
>inspiration from a lie, or from wishful thinking.  Is that what you want to
>base your life on?

No I would be deriving inspiration from a story and the message it includes.

> If the the resurrection story is just that -- a story --
>then the only "teaching" I would get out of it is either that (1) there is no
>God, (2) He is aloof and doesn't care about us, or (3) He hasn't gotten around
>to helping us out of our mess because he wants us to do it.

Your points 1 and 2 do not follow from the premise. Neither does point 3, but
I'm sure he would want us to work our way out of our mess, but he has provided
help.

>In any case, your Christianity, which does not need the validity of the
>resurrection story, is something quite different from New Testament
>Christianity.

I think not. I simply say that the event itself is not as important as what
we have learned from the story of it. If Christianity had not developed at all,
the event would not even exist in your life; it is the truth of the message
underlying it that has kept it alive all these centuries. The message in my
mundane little story of the beggar is no less real because it is a fable, than
the ressurection story's message would be if it were a fable.

/ / / / / / / / / / :-(I Think, Therefore I Am, I Think :-) / / / / / / / / / /
/ Howard.Steel@Waterloo.NCR.COM 	    NCR CANADA LTD. - 580 Weber St. N /
/   (519)884-1710 Ext 570 	     	          Waterloo, Ont., N2J 4G5     /
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

garyh@crash.cts.com (Gary Hipp) (09/20/90)

[This is a response to my comment that there's a problem with citing
Paul's comments on the Resurrection as support for the Empty Tomb,
because the Resurrection does not necessarily imply an empty tomb.
--clh]

If you don't hold to the inspiration of Scripture, its authority,
inerrancy, and infallibility; you can come up with as many doubts as
you like with never an answer.  For example, by denying the virgin
birth, you also deny the sufficiency of Christ as Savior.  Because sin
entered the world through Adam and death through sin, death spread to
all men... (Rom.5:12) Sin is carried through the male, not the
female.  This is why Christ had to be born of a virgin.  To be our
sacrafice, He had to be sinless.

Comparing the resurrection to the Eucharist is fallacious.  Over 500
people witnessed the risen Christ.  If one had his stomach contents
analyzed, there would be nothing more found than wine and starch.  The
Lord's supper is not meant to be a cannibalistic ritual, by a
remembrance of his death (and ressurection).  --Gary

[I say again: I am not arguing that there's no Biblical evidence for
the empty tomb.  I am arguing that Paul's comments on the Resurrection
are not evidence for the empty tomb, because Paul does not say
anything about it, and his comments would be consistent with accounts
of the Resurrection that did not involve the empty tomb.  --clh]

correll@brahms.udel.edu (Sharon J Correll) (09/23/90)

In article <Sep.17.03.24.18.1990.17451@athos.rutgers.edu> howard@53iss6.waterloo.ncr.com (Howard Steel) writes:
>I look at the resurrection story and what has grown from it. I don't need a
>verification of that event to justify the changes that have occured as a result
>of the story. In fact I don't need the event itself any longer, I just listen
>to the message.
>
>>You would be deriving
>>inspiration from a lie, or from wishful thinking.  Is that what you want to
>>base your life on?
>
>No I would be deriving inspiration from a story and the message it includes.

Christianity is more than a collection of stories.  Foundational to the
nature of Christianity is the idea that God's power is available to us
to transform our lives.  With or without the resurrection, this is an
inspiring concept, but without the resurrection there is no evidence
that the concept is true or something we can actually count on in real
life.

I suspect that, supposing the resurrection were "disproved",
Christianity would still exist in some form, probably in the same form
it exists in many churches even today.  It certainly wouldn't be
spreading around the world like it is today, because the missionary
motivation and confidence would be gone.
--
---\  Sharon Correll                                   \---------------
----\  University of Delaware                           \--------------

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (09/25/90)

In article <Sep.17.03.24.18.1990.17451@athos.rutgers.edu> howard@53iss6.waterloo.ncr.com (Howard Steel) writes:

(incredible but cute story about generous vagrant elided)

>The message at various levels in this is obvious; the story however is a
>complete fabrication. If I had passed this off as being true, or more
>simply stated it without saying one way or the other, some people could be
>moved to reflection. Over the years the story could be told and re-told again,
>as part of larger group of stories (which could all very well be true). If
>we learned later that this was not an actual event, would we then deny all the
>changes that have occured because of the story, or would we throw away the
>meaning in the story because of this; I don't think so.

The only obvious message I see in this story is that if you stop and
engage a panhandler in conversation, he is likely to give *you* money
rather than expect you to give to him. That message is at odds with
observed reality; even if there were a correlation with some
independently existing reality, it is unclear what implications the
message of the story would have for the life of the hearer.

Mr. Steel postulates that had he not admitted his authorship of this
story as a work of fiction, it might very well have gradually gained
mythical proportions, and that the truth of its "obvious" message would
outlive and transcend the discovery that the story itself was false.

One example of what happens under such circumstances (ignoring for the
moment the implications of this assertion about Mr. Steel's beliefs
about the Gospel) is given by the legend of the "hundredth monkey",
which I'll recap briefly here.

Several years ago, in an effort to explain his belief in a universal
consciousness, an author made up a story about a remote archipelago
where anthropologists on one island were teaching monkeys to wash their
coconuts before eating them. Gradually, as the monkeys mastered the art
of coconut-washing, other monkeys on other islands far away at the other
end of the archipelago spontaneously began to wash their coconuts too,
without the benefit of contact with the anthropologists' subjects.

Since the author did not clearly disclaim his story as Mr. Steel did,
the story has gained the status of folk legend, to the extent that the
hoax debunkers were motivated to demolish it quite thoroughly. Yet it
(and its underlying message of universal consciousness) lives on; I
first heard it in the preaching of a bishop of the Church of England,
who offered it as a sort of proof of the existence of God.

Yet those who have been made aware of the story's origins have no reason
to believe on the grounds of its message that there is such a
consciousness, since that message is no longer "There is proof of the
existence of a universal consciousness" but rather "there is an author
who believes in a universal consciousness". In other words, the message
of the story has been changed by the falseness of the story itself. I
have difficulty conceiving of any message underlying Mr. Steel's story,
or indeed underlying the Resurrection narrative, which would remain
unchanged were it to be established that the story was false.

>I look at the resurrection story and what has grown from it. I don't need a
>verification of that event to justify the changes that have occured as a result
>of the story. In fact I don't need the event itself any longer, I just listen
>to the message.

I have heard this said in many different ways by many different people,
but I still don't understand how the message remains valid if the story
itself is fabricated.

>>You would be deriving
>>inspiration from a lie, or from wishful thinking.  Is that what you want to
>>base your life on?
>
>No I would be deriving inspiration from a story and the message it includes.

This dialogue reminds me very much of John Updike's "Pigeon Feathers."

>> If the the resurrection story is just that -- a story --
>>then the only "teaching" I would get out of it is either that (1) there is no
>>God, (2) He is aloof and doesn't care about us, or (3) He hasn't gotten around
>>to helping us out of our mess because he wants us to do it.
>
>Your points 1 and 2 do not follow from the premise. Neither does point 3, but
>I'm sure he would want us to work our way out of our mess, but he has provided
>help.

Mr. Steel is correct here. If the (Resurrection) story is false, it does not
carry the meanings which his interlocutor describes; it becomes simply
meaningless, but this is ultimately not a strong argument in his favor.

>>In any case, your Christianity, which does not need the validity of the
>>resurrection story, is something quite different from New Testament
>>Christianity.
>
>I think not. I simply say that the event itself is not as important as what
>we have learned from the story of it. If Christianity had not developed at all,
>the event would not even exist in your life; it is the truth of the message
>underlying it that has kept it alive all these centuries. The message in my
>mundane little story of the beggar is no less real because it is a fable, than
>the ressurection story's message would be if it were a fable.

I don't think there is anything to be gained by claiming that Mr.
Steel's viewpoint is not Christianity; the semantic issue doesn't erase
the fact that there are thousands if not millions of members of
Christian churches of all denominations who believe something very
similar to this.

It *is* apparent that Mr. Steel doesn't see his Christianity as a
literally personal relationship with the resurrected Jesus. I don't mean
thereby to denigrate his beliefs; personally, I don't believe that there
is sufficient historical evidence to support the notion that Jesus of
Nazareth rose from the dead.

What I *do* believe is that Jesus is alive. Not alive in the sense that
he has a physical body and is still tramping around Lake
Gennasaret, but alive in the sense that I can communicate with Him, and
He with me; alive in the way you would expect a God to be.

I have plenty of evidence of that, but none of it could be described as
"historical" or "objective". I believe that Jesus was raised from the
dead because I know Jesus lives, not because I believe the historical
record left behind.

Thus I wouldn't be very disturbed by evidence which calls into question
the authenticity of that historical record. I admit to having been
somewhat disappointed that the Shroud of Turin was pronounced spurious;
but I do not believe that the resurrection didn't happen because the
Shroud was a fake.

On the other hand, were it to be conclusively proven (which it won't)
that the whole story of Jesus of Nazareth was one of Aesop's fables, I
would be embarrassed; likely the whole church would be embarrassed, and
many millions would fall away into despair.

Even that, though, would not invalidate my personal experiences with the
One I call Jesus. It would simply be time to admit that I had been
calling that One by the wrong name, and time to start learning what He
chose to reveal of Himself.

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com

BVAUGHAN@pucc.princeton.edu (Barbara Vaughan) (09/26/90)

In article <Sep.23.03.11.35.1990.5528@athos.rutgers.edu>, correll@brahms.udel.ed

>In article <Sep.17.03.24.18.1990.17451@athos.rutgers.edu> howard@53iss6.waterlo
>>I look at the resurrection story and what has grown from it. I don't need a
>>verification of that event to justify the changes that have occured as a resul
>>of the story.
>
>Christianity is more than a collection of stories.  Foundational to the
>nature of Christianity is the idea that God's power is available to us
>to transform our lives.  With or without the resurrection, this is an
>inspiring concept, but without the resurrection there is no evidence
>that the concept is true or something we can actually count on in real
>life.

However, the most convincing proof of that promise is when we accept it
on faith and find that our lives ARE transformed.  I think it was the
experience of the transformation of their lives that convinced the first
Christians of the truth of the Resurrection, not the Resurrection that
convinced them of God's ability to change their lives.  If the Resur-
rection is 'only' a story, then it is a story that developed and was
accepted because people whose lives had been transformed couldn't explain
the miracle of the transformation except by the miracle of the Resur-
rection.  If you read the Acts of the Apostles, you can feel the awe
and wonder of people who experienced God's power in their lives; this
is mentioned again and again as a miracle, more often than the Resur-
rection itself.

Barbara Vaughan