[soc.religion.christian] Turin Shroud

jkk@.uucp (John Kingston) (09/27/90)

In article <Sep.25.04.00.41.1990.6541@athos.rutgers.edu> bcsaic!carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>Thus I wouldn't be very disturbed by evidence which calls into question
>the authenticity of that historical record. I admit to having been
>somewhat disappointed that the Shroud of Turin was pronounced spurious;
>but I do not believe that the resurrection didn't happen because the
>Shroud was a fake.

I was taking a Bible course at the time of the discovery that the Shroud
was much less than 2000 years old. The main lecturer commented that he had
never believed the Shroud to be the one in which Jesus was wrapped, because
it was at odds with the Biblical record; the gospel of John describes
the disciples finding the graveclothes empty, and the headcloth folded
separately.

John Kingston, AI Applications Institute, University of Edinburgh,
	       80 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN, Scotland
E-mail jkk@uk.ac.ed.aiai, phone 031-225 4464 ext. 213   FAX: 031 226 2730
Arpanet: J.Kingston%uk.ac.ed@nfsnet-relay.ac.uk    TELEX: 727442 UNIVED G