[soc.religion.christian] I can see the light!

daveh@tekcrl.labs.tek.com (David Hatcher) (09/17/90)

In a recent posting, John Warren wrote:
>                                 If I do not want to pray with a non-Christian
>who wants to visualize billions of line segments of lights interconnecting
>across the globe (and who calls that the same thing that I'm doing when
>I get in touch with God's Spirit),

 Which makes me wonder how Christians do visualize God's light as He
 embraces the Earth and all of Creation with His Spirit.

 I know that this is not a practice that Christians generally do,
 but I am wondering what words Christian's would use to describe
 God's embracing light. You see, I feel that part of this miss-understanding
 is in the words we use.

	David Hatcher

gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) (10/01/90)

In article <Sep.17.03.51.49.1990.17699@athos.rutgers.edu> daveh@tekcrl.labs.tek.com (David Hatcher) writes:
>In a recent posting, John Warren wrote:
>>                                 If I do not want to pray with a non-Christian
>>who wants to visualize billions of line segments of lights interconnecting
>>across the globe (and who calls that the same thing that I'm doing when
>>I get in touch with God's Spirit),
>
> Which makes me wonder how Christians do visualize God's light as He
> embraces the Earth and all of Creation with His Spirit.

David:

Could you explain yourself a bit more?  There is the shekinah glory of
YHWH, which we cannot look upon.  Then there is Jesus who is the Light
of the world. (John 1)

Some of what you say makes sense from a Buddhist point of view (is that
the view that you are coming from?).  However, it doesn't from a
Christian view, not the one Christian view that I've been discipled
into.

> I know that this is not a practice that Christians generally do,
> but I am wondering what words Christian's would use to describe
> God's embracing light. You see, I feel that part of this miss-understanding
> is in the words we use.

Indeed there is a semantics problem here.  And until I have some idea of
where you are coming from, it makes it a bit difficult to talk over some
of these things.

For His glory,

Gene Gross