[soc.religion.christian] Jesus Prayer

mgobbi@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) (09/25/90)

Some time ago, sombody mentioned the "Jesus Prayer" in their
postings.  I have never heard of this prayer before and would
appreciate it if someone who knows it would post the prayer,
its author, and the circumstances of its creation (if known).

Thanx

--
     __
    /..\      In quest of knowledge....

marym@cs.utexas.edu (Mary Matejka) (09/27/90)

I have heard of the 'Jesus Prayer' as follows: It was used as a meditative
prayer in the *very* early church. There is a book called (I think) The
Russian Pilgrim that talks about one man's experience with praying the
prayer. The book is a reprint of a *very* old book also. The prayer is
"Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me". You say half on the inhale and
half on the exhale.

This prayer is starting to get more popular lately. I have seen it
mentioned in modern books.

--
cs.utexas.edu!halley!marym, marym@halley.UUCP, marym@halley.mpd.tandem.com
---

mike@turing.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (09/27/90)

In article <Sep.25.03.54.03.1990.6388@athos.rutgers.edu> mgobbi@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) writes:

   Some time ago, sombody mentioned the "Jesus Prayer" in their
   postings.  I have never heard of this prayer before and would
   appreciate it if someone who knows it would post the prayer,
   its author, and the circumstances of its creation (if known).

The Jesus prayer is: "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner."
In many traditions in the eastern church, particularly in Russia, it
is used as a meditative prayer leading to the "prayer of the heart",
that is, wordless communion with God.

Henri Nouen manages to work a reference to the prayer and the
tradition of using it in most of his books.  I'd reccomend them.

As far as I know, the author and circumstances of creation are
unknown.

--
    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,

walsh@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (09/27/90)

In article <Sep.25.03.54.03.1990.6388@athos.rutgers.edu>, mgobbi@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) writes:
> Some time ago, sombody mentioned the "Jesus Prayer" in their
> postings.  I have never heard of this prayer before and would
> appreciate it if someone who knows it would post the prayer,
> its author, and the circumstances of its creation (if known).

The Jesus Prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Origin: I guess the prayer of the blind man who called out to Jesus,
son of David, and the prayer of the publican. It's been used since
WAY back in the Eastern Orthodox and "Monophysite" worlds - Greece,
Syria, Egypt, Palestine etc.... It's been the center of Eastern Christian
spirituality for as far back as anyone knows. I think the first reference
to it is in the 5th century. It's repeated constantly - or as constantly
as you can manage. There's an anthology of Byzantine theological works
called the Philokalia that deals with almost every aspect of this
spirituality. Part is available in English translation.

> Thanx
>
> --
>      __
>     /..\      In quest of knowledge....
>  --mm--mm--         Mike Gobbi

         ando.

mangoe@mimsy.umd.edu (Charley Wingate) (10/01/90)

The version of the prayer I was taught is "Jesus Christ, Son of God, have
mercy on me, a sinner."  I was also taught a detail which nobody else has
mentioned so far:  divide the prayer into two parts so that the second part
begins with "have mercy...", and pray the first part while inhaling and the
second while exhaling.  There are two reasons behind this.  The first is
that it symbolizes (and therefore helps one to pray) Jesus coming in and sin
going out.  The second is that, eventually, it becomes part of one's body
rhythms, so that one is always and continually praying the prayer.

As ohers have mentioned, it is an eastern prayer.  I learned it from a
russan orthodox bishop who spoke at one of our lenten programs several years
back.
--
C. Wingate         + "Our God to whom we turn when weary with illusion,
                   +  Whose stars serenely burn above this world's confusion,