[soc.religion.christian] Iraq - Prophecy fulfilled?

gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) (09/20/90)

In article <Sep.6.04.11.09.1990.26207@athos.rutgers.edu> hoyt@megatek.uucp (Hoyt Stearns) writes:
>Note the striking parallel between Habakkuk 1: 5 - 11 and the current Iraqui
>invasion.  Chaldea of biblical times seems to correspond roughly to
>modern Iraq - the land of the Tigris and Euphrates.
>
>Although this prophecy was originally fulfilled by God sending the
>Chaldeans as a rebuke to rebellious ancient Israel, this prophecy, like many
>in the Old Testament, can have multiple fulfillments in the course of
>history.
>
>If Saddam's adventure is indeed part of the Divine Plan, what does this augur
>for the western world's prospects?  Surely the USA stands on no high
>moral ground.

Interesting reading.  If in fact this prophecy is to have a modern
fulfillment, then it is possible that this is the start of some major
movements in the history of mankind that could lead to the fulfillment
of history and the coming of our great hope.

We are told to watch the signs of the times, and this is certainly
prudent.  But I think that this is far more difficult than many realize.
Often the fulfillment of prophecy is not seen until later.  Many
good-hearted saints have tried to interpret happenings in the world as
being fulfillment of given signs, and some have even gone so far as to
set dates.  So I merely caution that we should keep our eyes focussed
upon Him who is our Hope and Salvation while remaining aware of the
seasons.

As for the USA standing on high moral ground, I dare say that no nation
does, not even the USA.  And even more saddening is the fact that those
called according to His name are often not standing on the high moral
ground.

Prophecy should spur the saints of God onward to more fervently pray,
study, meditate, and preach and teach the Gospel.  May the Lord find us
busy doing His will and work when He returns for us.  Not out of some
notion of obligation only, but out of love for Him who first loved us
while we were yet unlovable.

May He grant you sufficient grace for this day,

Gene Gross

2 Chronicles 7:14, 15

mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) (09/26/90)

In article <Sep.20.04.08.03.1990.19823@athos.rutgers.edu> gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) writes:
>Interesting reading.  If in fact this prophecy is to have a modern
>fulfillment, then it is possible that this is the start of some major
>movements in the history of mankind that could lead to the fulfillment
>of history and the coming of our great hope.
>
>We are told to watch the signs of the times, and this is certainly
>prudent.
We are also specifically warned against trying to predict times
and places.

This sort of thing runs into the danger of worshipping the book
and forgetting its message. Seeing parallels with current
events and scriptural events is one thing, but claiming that
current events are specific fulfillments of prophecy is
generally dangerous nonsense. The notion of "multiple
fulfillment" was presumably invented to cover up the
embarrassment of those who have been too quick to claim
fulfillment of prophecy. Every age seems to have those who
think the run of the mill disasters and wars of the time are
fulfillment of prophecy.

Matthew Huntbach

alan@syacus.acus.oz (Alan Stewart) (09/26/90)

gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) writes:

>In article <Sep.6.04.11.09.1990.26207@athos.rutgers.edu> hoyt@megatek.uucp (Hoyt Stearns) writes:
>>
>>If Saddam's adventure is indeed part of the Divine Plan, what does this augur
>>for the western world's prospects?  Surely the USA stands on no high
>>moral ground.

The devil is very clever. I believe Satan is stirring up strife in the
middle east to take the attention away from his dirty work in Europe. The
ten toes of Daniel's vision is forming now, and remember that the
Antichrist will come from the revived Roman Empire.

Alan

gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) (10/01/90)

In article <Sep.26.02.58.28.1990.1683@athos.rutgers.edu> mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) writes:
>In article <Sep.20.04.08.03.1990.19823@athos.rutgers.edu> gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) writes:
>>Interesting reading.  If in fact this prophecy is to have a modern
>>fulfillment, then it is possible that this is the start of some major
>>movements in the history of mankind that could lead to the fulfillment
>>of history and the coming of our great hope.
>>
>>We are told to watch the signs of the times, and this is certainly
>>prudent.
>We are also specifically warned against trying to predict times
>and places.

Matt, puuhleeze!!  No where did I imply that we should start setting a
date.  I do not believe in setting dates.  In fact, I'm quite content to
leave the date setting to our Father.  However, watching the signs of
the times (or the times of the season) is not only prudent, we are told
to do that.  Further, Jesus and the several of the apostles give us
signs so that we can judge the times.  Do we ignore this?  At our own
peril.

Seeing things grow worse should motivate us to labor the more earnestly
in our Father's vineyard.  We should find within the events of the day
more than ample reason to share the Gospel with others through word and
deed (our lifestyle).  Now if this is bibliolatry, then I am guilty.
But I hardly see how ministering and witnessing can be called
bibliolatry.

Studying prophecy is also something that is worthy.  It is part of the
Bible, the Word.  We are told to study the Word, to desire the milk of
the Word that we might grow.  Do we not study parts of the Word simply
because it is prophecy?  Further, there are prophecies whose fulfillment
cannot be said to have already happened in OT times.  These include
section of Ezekiel and Daniel to name just two of the OT prophetic
books.

I'm not sure that we can actually sit down and say that a particular
event fulfills the prophecy found in Chapter and:verse (;-)).  But that
should not stop us from examining current events in light of what the
text says.

My current view of eschatology is that Christians will indeed be here
for the tough times.  As such, the time of birth pangs that Jesus speaks
of in Matt. 24 are something that IMO we will experience.  Yet, I do not
believe that there will be some point where we can say, "Look, it
started (or starts) on this date."  Rather, I believe that things will
just gradually get worse.  And we will realize one day that the full
weight of the great tribulation spoken of in the text is upon us--and
has been.  It is a lot like the coming of night.  The night does not
fall instantly upon us.  The light from the sun slowly wans in the west.
The shadows lengthen slowly engulfing objects until the night is finally
here.  And the dawning is the same way--slowly the sun rises in the east
to dispell the dark.

The signs of the times are like the signs that we have of the approach
of night or morning.  All we can say when we see that the sun dips below
the horizon is that night is coming.  Few, if any of us can state at
what actual hour the night is here.  But we have enough signs to know
that the night is coming.  And the same for dawn.  (And let's not take
this example too far--for it is in some areas limited.)

Now, if I'm a farmer working my fields to gather the crops, do I not
want to at least give some mind to the time of the day.  To do this, do
I look to my watch each time?  Or do I instead watch the signs of the
sun as it journeys across the sky?  Having worked on my uncle's farm
many a summer, I can tell you that we never looked at a clock while in
the field.  We became adept at judging the time of day by the movement
and position of the sun.  And when we saw it at a certain position
relative to the western horizon, we knew roughly how much time before it
became too dark to work.  And when this sign was seen, we labored all
the harder.

And that is my position on watching the signs of the times.  I am of the
opinion that as we see the time draw closer we should labor the more.  I
do not believe that we will know the exact time of the coming of our
Blessed Hope.  But we can be sure that He will come for that is His
promise to us.  And God is no liar.

Because He lives,

Gene Gross

johnw@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Warren) (10/01/90)

In article <Sep.26.02.58.28.1990.1683@athos.rutgers.edu> mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) writes:
>In article <Sep.20.04.08.03.1990.19823@athos.rutgers.edu> gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) writes:
>>
>>We are told to watch the signs of the times, and this is certainly
>>prudent.
>We are also specifically warned against trying to predict times
>and places.
>
>This sort of thing runs into the danger of worshipping the book
>and forgetting its message. Seeing parallels with current
>events and scriptural events is one thing, but claiming that
>current events are specific fulfillments of prophecy is
>generally dangerous nonsense. The notion of "multiple
>fulfillment" was presumably invented to cover up the
>embarrassment of those who have been too quick to claim
>fulfillment of prophecy.

Either people are reluctant to unsay what they've said (even
when proven wrong) or some people are artistically astute enough to
see the richness in the tapestry of prophetic history.  You
may think that the "multiple fulfillment" theory is a copout,
and some people may use it as a copout, but I see it as Divine
Genius.  The problem with people who have
said that it's the end when it's not, is that they were
simply wrong.  That's all there is to it.  There is a way to
be right, just like there is a way to do a physics problem
correctly, and thousands of ways to screw up.  The point is,
no matter how many people get it wrong, that doesn't mean that
there is no right answer.

Of course, any answer will be a partial answer, because Jesus
said that no one knows the day or hour.  But by saying that He
did not mean that we should not waste our time comparing our
present age with the age of the Second Coming.  He specifically
said the opposite:  "When you see these things begin to come
to pass, lift up your heads, for your redemption is near."

>Every age seems to have those who
>think the run of the mill disasters and wars of the time are
>fulfillment of prophecy.

Well, they were wrong.  And those who sat on rooftops waiting
for Jesus to take them home were sadly wrong.  But don't throw
the baby out with the bathwater, just because you're tired
of people who work things out wrong.

mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) (10/03/90)

In article <Sep.30.20.23.24.1990.16046@athos.rutgers.edu> gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) writes:
>Seeing things grow worse should motivate us to labor the more earnestly
>in our Father's vineyard.  We should find within the events of the day
>more than ample reason to share the Gospel with others through word and
>deed (our lifestyle).  Now if this is bibliolatry, then I am guilty.
>But I hardly see how ministering and witnessing can be called
>bibliolatry.

Fine. What I object to is the drawing of elaborate parallels
while ignoring more general principles. If you want to do this,
stick to Nostradamus and leave the Bible to Christians. Every
age has had a fair share of people who consider their own age
to be the "last days" and see the events of that age as signs
from God that the World is coming to an end.

The real Christian message is that we should always live as if
we were to be called to judgement tomorrow. That comes through
time and time again in Christ's teachings. Detailed plans for
the future do not.

Matthew Huntbach

[I'm not sure you disagree with Gene.  My comment on this is that we
should be able to get something out of Rev. even if we aren't the last
generation.  As I see it, Rev. was written to give Christians
encouragement in difficult circumstances.  Its original readers
certainly weren't the last generation.  It helped them put their
trials into the long-term cosmic perspective.  Surely we should be
able to benefit from this as well, whether the Last Judgement comes
tomorrow or not.  --clh]