[soc.religion.christian] I'd say that is has more to do with knowing God Spiritually

davidh@tektronix.tek.com (David L Hatcher) (10/01/90)

In article <Sep.27.04.59.34.1990.15158@athos.rutgers.edu> timv@cadfx.ccad.uiowa.edu (Timothy VanFosson) writes:
>In an article I posted you added this comment:
>> [This continues an exchange between David Hatcher and Tim Hoogasian
>> on the subject of Christ as the only way.  The problem is
>>>   there are so many
>>>   from other spiritual traditions who also know and live with in
>>>   the Grace and Glory of God just as much an *any* Christian does.
>> Both Tim and David seem to believe that there is some need for
>> rethinking what it means to say that Christ is the only way.  --clh]
>>

>I don't believe that we need to rethink whether or not Christ is the only
>way (in the sense that there may be other ways - which is what I believe
>David to be saying.).

  It is, yet it is not what I'm saying. I'm looking towards the actual
  act AND experience of knowing and living with in the Grace and Glory
  of God. That act and experience reaches beyond beliefs. I feel that for
  Christians the Divine is known through Christ. I also feel that others
  of other religions also know the Divine. Though the cultures and
  languages used are different, the inner experience of actually knowing
  and living with in the Divine is the same.

  Something that keeps going around and around in my head is my wondering
  how I can get the Christians here to explain what they are experiencing
  as they reach past the historical Jesus and onward towards the more
  spiritual aspect of where God is know through Christ. After all,
  everyone here keeps saying that the only way to God is throuth Jesus
  Christ. Yet no one here talks much about God as if they actually
  know Him by personal experience. Where's the proof of all of these claims?

  As I understand it, ~with in~ the act of faith for Christians is
  the act of actually turning ones soul towards Christ. If one *really*
  wants to explore the realms of where faith leads one, than a person
  has to also learn to ~open~ their heart & soul to God which just
  happens to be beyond the historical things we think of when we think
  of the life of Jesus Christ here on earth. It's that stuff that is
  with in the essence of the person we call Jesus Christ that is makes
  Him and the Father as One that I'm trying to focus upon here.

  Now ~HOW~ does a person ~KNOW~ that they are in fact turning their
  soul to Christ. What sort of feedback tells them the yes, they have
  hit the true object of their worshipping. And further more, what is
  ~unique~ about this spiritual experience that leads many Christians
  to the feeling that others of other spiritual traditions do not also
  know and live with in the Glory of that experience. I'm looking past
  beliefs here and pointing towards what is being experienced as one
  lives with in the Grace and Glory of God.

  In short, when going right to the Godhead, how does one know that
  they have reached God through Jesus Christ? What sort of feedback or
  spiritual experience lets them know that they are on the right track?

  OK, now to bring the experience of the Divine down here to earth. Those
  whom have in some way actually touched God, in the spiritual sense, begin
  to manifest a different self. They become changed. They change in a
  way that reflects or mirror some aspect of the Divine that they have
  touched. This is when the fruit is manifested and can be seen by all.
  So in looking ~at~ the fruit, and ~how~ it is manifested, what aspect
  of the Divine that is manifested through a Christian *IS NOT* also
  manifested with in others of other spiritual paths?

	David Hatcher

		Question:
			There is a difference in the experiences of the
			Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Does the
			Christian experience those 3 Divine Persons in
			3 distinct ways, or do they experience them
			all by a general awareness?

correll@brahms.udel.edu (Sharon J Correll) (10/03/90)

In article <Sep.30.21.22.50.1990.16753@athos.rutgers.edu> davidh@tektronix.tek.com (David L Hatcher) writes:

>  Something that keeps going around and around in my head is my wondering
>  how I can get the Christians here to explain what they are experiencing
>  as they reach past the historical Jesus and onward towards the more
>  spiritual aspect of where God is know through Christ. After all,
>  everyone here keeps saying that the only way to God is throuth Jesus
>  Christ. Yet no one here talks much about God as if they actually
>  know Him by personal experience. Where's the proof of all of these claims?

I've been thinking some about your question about personal experiences
with God, and I have a couple of thoughts.

First of all, there is no way for me to PROVE that I have had an
experience with God.  I can talk about my experiences, but a person who
wanted to write it all off could do so and probably would.  There is
something about talking about my relationship with God in order to PROVE
something that just goes against the grain.  Maybe that's true for
other people too, and that's why there hasn't been a lot of that sort of
posting in here.

Second, I just don't think you can separate the historical Jesus and the
spiritual Jesus.  They are the same person.  If you reject the record of
Jesus as he was on earth, then it's just not the same Jesus that I
worship.

I guess what I'm saying here is that the objective and the subjective
have to go hand in hand.  Believing a lot of facts is not enough;
Christianity needs to be experiential.  But pointing to an experience
and putting all your stock in that opens the door to self-deception
and/or Satanic deception.  My experience and the Word of God must go
hand in hand.

--
---\  Sharon Correll                                   \---------------
----\  University of Delaware                           \--------------

timh@linus.uucp (Tim Hoogasian) (10/03/90)

[ David Hatcher makes an appeal to "How" do Christians "Know" they're
  really following Christ, etc. ]

david, i admire your honest appeal to folks asking for their personal
"revelatory experiences", but your question cannot apply to everyone.

Salvation is not a "feeling".  it is a fact.  if you follow the Owner's
Manual that God has supplied us with, it doesn't matter whether or not
you get some sort of mystcial emotion telling you "it's right."  in fact,
i find it safer NOT to trust fleeting emotions; but then, i'm a left-
brained person, and i like to have reasons for everything i do and believe.

instead of asking people how they "feel" about their relationship with
the Holy One, why not ask how well they are conforming to His image, with
regard to the directions supplied in the Manufacturer's Handbook (Bible)?

---
Tim	  |	ARPA:  timh@ide.com
Hoogasian |	UUCP:  sun!ide!timh	 	(415) 543-0900
#define DISCLAIMER "Are you nuts?  I don't represent anyone, let alone myself!"

ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) (10/04/90)

In article <Sep.30.21.22.50.1990.16753@athos.rutgers.edu>, davidh@tektronix.tek.com (David L Hatcher) writes:
> In article <Sep.27.04.59.34.1990.15158@athos.rutgers.edu> timv@cadfx.ccad.uiowa.edu (Timothy VanFosson) writes:
> >In an article I posted you added this comment:
> >> [This continues an exchange between David Hatcher and Tim Hoogasian
> >> on the subject of Christ as the only way.  The problem is
> >> Both Tim and David seem to believe that there is some need for
> >> rethinking what it means to say that Christ is the only way.  --clh]

I personally know people, including my own husband, who have converted from
Judiasm, Islam, and Hinduism who would wholeheartedly and without doubt
disagree with this assumption.  They will tell you in plain English that
"something" was literally missing from inside of them until they became
Christians, and that "something" was the Holy Spirit and salvation through
Jesus Christ.  They will tell you that although they believed in God's
existance, they were definately NOT following Him as they should have and
they definately did NOT have salvation.

Now, there are many people in this world who will never see a Bible and
will never enter a church.   For example, in Saudia Arabia, one can be
jailed for carrying a Bible and teaching the Gospel among the Saudi
population.  Therefore, most Saudis will never have access to the Bible
or Christian teachings.  Does that mean that these people will never
reach Heaven?  Certainly not.

The Bible teaches that God has written His laws upon the hearts of (wo)man,
therefore, those who do not have access to the written law will be judged
differently than those of us who do.  Still, we are instructed to spread
the Gospel among the nations.  Further, those who have the written law (us)
will be held responsible for it.

The Bible states that Christ said, "I am the way, the truth, and the light.
NO MAN COMETH TO THE FATHER BUT BY ME."

Anyone who implies other than this statement is without question teaching
false doctrine.  Anyone who implies that Mohammed, Guru Nanuck, Buddha, or
anyone else is the way to Heaven, is, quite simply, WRONG.

>   In short, when going right to the Godhead, how does one know that
>   they have reached God through Jesus Christ? What sort of feedback or
>   spiritual experience lets them know that they are on the right track?

  I suppose that everyone has something differnt to contribute here, but
for me, I am sure that I know God through Jesus Christ because of what
I "feel" inside.   Now, I am not talking about feeling like a feeling of
emtions, instead, I am talking about actually knowing that a diving being
is living inside of me.  I don't just "feel" or  "think" that Christ is the
way, I KNOW He is the way.

Furthermore, I can see changes is myself and in my life over which I, by
myself have no control.  I know that God is making things happen for me.

>   OK, now to bring the experience of the Divine down here to earth. Those
>   whom have in some way actually touched God, in the spiritual sense, begin
>   to manifest a different self. They become changed. They change in a
>   way that reflects or mirror some aspect of the Divine that they have
>   touched. This is when the fruit is manifested and can be seen by all.
>   So in looking ~at~ the fruit, and ~how~ it is manifested, what aspect
>   of the Divine that is manifested through a Christian *IS NOT* also
>   manifested with in others of other spiritual paths?

As I mentioned above, those of other religions do not have the same
inner peace as do Christians.  They live in constant fear that they
will go to he--.  They do not have salvation, and therefore they fear
God's judgement.  Also, they do not feel the same love from God that
Christians feel.  Furthermore, wether they will admit it to you or not,
they feel lost.  They question "why should I pray five times a day, why
should I not eat pork - what do these mechanical actions have to do with
serving God?"  Yet, this is part of their religion.  They have religions
of action.  Other relgions teach that eternal life or eternal damnation
rests upon whether or not they don't eat beef, pork, or whatever.  Yet,
followers try to obey these rules out of fear for their souls much moreso
than out of love for God.

While this will no doubt draw criticism from those of other religions,
just ask those who have converted to Christianity.  They will tell you that
their rantings, ravings, and cursing of Jesus were much moreso attempts to
reassure themselves tham to convince anyone else.

> 		Question:
> 			There is a difference in the experiences of the
> 			Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Does the
> 			Christian experience those 3 Divine Persons in
> 			3 distinct ways, or do they experience them
> 			all by a general awareness?

Yes and yes.

Elizabeth Tallant

ta00ext@unccvax.uncc.edu