[soc.religion.christian] and he came eating and drinking....

jrossi@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Joe "Bart" Rossi) (10/01/90)

On the subject of the subject of social drinking and drug use, in
respect to Jesus, I am not aware of any instance where Jesus
condemned or preached against such sin.  If I am wrong, feel
free to correct me, but Jesus did come eating and drinking
with sinners.

Sometimes I get the impression that some folks seem to think
that the folks that flocked around Jesus, whom the Pharisee's
and Saducces called "unclean," somehow dropped all of their
sinful behaviour in Jesus's prescence and then only engaged
in the occassional social glass of wine that people presume
that Jesus had.  I happen to think this rather unrealistic,
and what I find more plausible is that while those that
were drawn to Jesus were drawn by his unconditional love
for them, even though they be "unclean" sinners, they,
like any of us, were unable to instantly change their
behaviour at the drop of a hat.

So I happen to believe that Jesus practiced tolerance with
those tax collectors, prostitutes, and drinkers that he
ministered to.  I don't think that these sins ranked
anywhere as high as the "sin" of the self-righteous
religious hypocrite.  To me the dinstinction that I
feel he saw, was the difference between humble, yet
sinful, struggling humans, drowning their sorrow
in drink, or struggling to feed themselves through
prostitution and arrogant, and also sinful, religious
hypocrites, who somehow thought they were above the
unclean lot.

Ironic also is his comment that a physician comes to
heal the sick and thus implying that those Pharisee's
and Saducces were not in need of his ministry.  But
how untrue!  I believe he was reacting to their
assumption that they did not need his help.  The
sinners knew they were sinners, and yet were more
real.  The lived real lives and had real pain,
that they medicated with drink.  He lived among
the sinners because they were better company.
He identified more with their suffering than with
the obedient to the Law mindset of the Pharisee's.

Just some thoughts I've been thinking...

lins@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Lindsay Gower) (10/04/90)

jrossi@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Joe "Bart" Rossi) writes:

>Sometimes I get the impression that some folks seem to think
>that the folks that flocked around Jesus, whom the Pharisee's
>and Saducces called "unclean," somehow dropped all of their
>sinful behaviour in Jesus's prescence and then only engaged
>in the occassional social glass of wine that people presume
>that Jesus had.  I happen to think this rather unrealistic,
>and what I find more plausible is that while those that
>were drawn to Jesus were drawn by his unconditional love
>for them, even though they be "unclean" sinners, they,
>like any of us, were unable to instantly change their
>behaviour at the drop of a hat.

>So I happen to believe that Jesus practiced tolerance with
>those tax collectors, prostitutes, and drinkers that he
>religious hypocrite.  To me the dinstinction that I

I agree that it is the rare sinner who immediately upon his
entering into a loving relationship with Christ is never more
beset by his/her failing sin.  I have a minor quibble, which
might simply be semantic, over your word "tolerance."  Praise
God that he is so tolerant and forgiving of our failings, but
let's always remember that tolerance is not permission.

>Ironic also is his comment that a physician comes to
>heal the sick and thus implying that those Pharisee's
>and Saducces were not in need of his ministry.  But
>how untrue!  I believe he was reacting to their
>assumption that they did not need his help.  The
>sinners knew they were sinners, and yet were more
>real.  The lived real lives and had real pain,
>that they medicated with drink.  He lived among
>the sinners because they were better company.
>He identified more with their suffering than with
>the obedient to the Law mindset of the Pharisee's.

I don't quite agree with you here, Joe.  EVERYONE Jesus
has ever met is living a mighty real life; all need his
saving grace.  There are plenty of hypocritical druggies
and arrogant drinkers in this world.  But looking thrugh
the Gospel accounts, I read that Jesus spent more time
with "sinners" because _they invited him._  The Lord is
of course as compassionate toward the Pharisees' as towards
any tax collector, prostitute, or naive fisherman.  But
some people shunned him, and some people sought him out.
With bizarre illogic, the people who had _not_ invited
him to their homes then complained about where he choose
to accept the invitation -- but as he loves us all, he
most certainly would have dined with the Pharisees had
they asked.

Some sinners know they are in pain; some don't.  There is
no special kind of sin that makes you humble and aware of
your hurt (which you seem to imply about drinkers). But
it doesn't matter if a person is a repentent Pharisee or
an unrepentant drink/drug abuser -- Jesus "identifies"
with anyone's pain.

And those are my thoughts...

Lindsay Gower
UniSoft Corporation			lins@unisoft.com