[soc.religion.christian] Iraq - Eschatology

mesaint@gateway (MikE SAINTcross) (10/03/90)

"Look at the nations and watch - and be utterly amazed. For I am going
to do something in your days  that you would not believe
	even if you were told. I am raising up the Babylonians ...

Habakkuk 1:5-6 (The whole book of Habakkuk actually)

"Son of man, Nebuchadnezzar ... drove his army in a hard campaign
against Tyre ... Yet he and his army got no reward.

	I am going to give Egypt to Nebuchadnezzar."

Ezekiel 29:18-21

"Cush, Put, Lydia and all Arabia, Lybia and the people of the
covenant land will fall by the sword along with Egypt."

Ezekiel 30:5 (the whole chapter is pertinent, from this perspective)

	Saddam Hussien has certainly suprised the world (maybe not Israel)
with his conquest of Kuwait two months ago. Mr. Hussien has compared
himself, or aspires to be, like King Nebuchanezzar or Nimrod even, leading
the Arab world to a position of power as in the days of old (Washington Post)
	I found it interesting to find in Nevaiim such a suprise foretold
even though it has happened once, it is happening again.

	As to the long campaign against Tyre, Iran could fit this
scenario. Iraq recieved nothing from that war.
	"every head rubbed bare, every shoulder made raw" ?? Chemical weapons?
The Iraqis used them against Iran.

	The most suprising thing I find is the reference to the
people of the covenant land. This is closet occurence of the modern
day form of "Artzot Habrit" (the United States) in the Nevaiim (Prophets)
It says "Bnai Aretz Habrit".

	Well, we're all gathered there. All the nations of the earth
are represented in this first act of the NEW WORLD ORDER (Pres. Bush Speech)
I guess we'll just have to what happens. The prophets foretell Babylong
getting alot of now real estate, without Israel being involved (Ezek, 29:21)

Rather than waste bandwidth analyzing all this out, I just touched
on some interesting highlights (with typos, this is my first/last? post)

E-mail address:

	mesaint@gateway.mitre.org
	Mike Saintcross
	Sys Admin/NSC

tom@dvnspc1.dev.unisys.com (Tom Albrecht) (10/07/90)

In article <Oct.3.03.49.04.1990.13527@athos.rutgers.edu> mesaint@gateway (MikE SAINTcross) writes:
>...	even if you were told. I am raising up the Babylonians ...
>Habakkuk 1:5-6 (The whole book of Habakkuk actually)
>
>...	I am going to give Egypt to Nebuchadnezzar."
>Ezekiel 29:18-21
>
>	Saddam Hussien has certainly suprised the world (maybe not Israel)
>with his conquest of Kuwait two months ago. Mr. Hussien has compared
>himself, or aspires to be, like King Nebuchanezzar or Nimrod even, leading
>the Arab world to a position of power as in the days of old (Washington Post)

Can't the literalists get this straight?  Nebuchanezzar was a CHALDEAN.
Babylon was a CHALDEAN city.  Hussien is an ARAB.  Iraq is an ARAB country.
Therefore, Saddam and the Iraqis cannot be the "literal" fulfillment of
the passages you reference.

Of course, this points out the severe flaw in the "literalist" approach to
Biblical hermeneutics, and why it must be rejected as unscriptural.
Literalists only take Scripture "literally" when it is convenient to do so.

--
Tom Albrecht