[soc.religion.christian] Evagelizing Atheists

coatta@cs.ubc.ca (Terry Coatta) (10/01/90)

Brian Coughlin writes:

> From what I've seen, I think  Joe was asserting that the promotion of
> atheism should strike theists as undesirable, and that theists should
> make a concerted effort to  prevent it (within the bounds of reasonable
> behavior, of course).

Agreed.  The question is what are appropriate methods to prevent it.  I
hold that suppression of opinion and enactment of religiously justified
laws are not appropriate.  Further, I believe that God would not approve
of these methods either.  If we Christians could manage to show even a tiny
fraction of God's love to those around us, I guarantee the world would
overflow with Christians.  All this worrying about what ``the other guy
is doing'' stops us from performing our primary mission: Spread the good
news!  When we finally understand Christ's message, and mold our lives
according to it, I tell you, the atheists don't stand a chance -- after
all, who has the better message to deliver?

pmoloney@vax1.tcd.ie ( Paul Moloney ) (10/07/90)

coatta@cs.ubc.ca (Terry Coatta) writes:

> If we Christians could manage to show even a tiny
> fraction of God's love to those around us, I guarantee the world would
> overflow with Christians.

There's more to atheism than just "christians aren't especially good so
therefore God doesn't exist". Atheists don't believe in a God, full stop. No
amount of coaxing or "freebies" can change that.

> When we finally understand Christ's message, and mold our lives
> according to it, I tell you, the atheists don't stand a chance -- after
> all, who has the better message to deliver?

If I promised you a tooth fairy, would you believe me because I had "a better
message to deliver?". Same difference to an atheist.

--
moorcockheathersiainbankshamandcornpizzapjorourkebluesbrothersneworderpratchett
clive P a u l M o l o n e y "You know, I've met a lot of cool chicks, but spike