[soc.religion.christian] Ten Toes???????

walsh@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (10/03/90)

In article <Sep.30.21.19.50.1990.16689@athos.rutgers.edu>, PMOLONEY@vax1.tcd.ie (Boycott Sal's !!) writes:

> The devil is very clever. I believe Satan is stirring up strife in the
> middle east to take the attention away from his dirty work in Europe. The
> ten toes of Daniel's vision is forming now, and remember that the
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Antichrist will come from the revived Roman Empire.
> Alan

Is this "ten toes" thing still thought to apply to the European Conferacy?
Isn't there more than ten countries now involved?

      ando.

kamphau@oktext.sbc.com (Mark Kamphaus) (10/07/90)

In article <Oct.3.03.26.19.1990.13372@athos.rutgers.edu> walsh@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>In article <Sep.30.21.19.50.1990.16689@athos.rutgers.edu>, PMOLONEY@vax1.tcd.ie (Boycott Sal's !!) writes:
>>
>> The devil is very clever. I believe Satan is stirring up strife in the
>> middle east to take the attention away from his dirty work in Europe. The
>> ten toes of Daniel's vision is forming now, and remember that the
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Antichrist will come from the revived Roman Empire.
>> Alan
>> ______________________________________________________________________________
>>

>Is this "ten toes" thing still thought to apply to the European Conferacy?
>Isn't there more than ten countries now involved?
>
>      ando.

I think this is a good example of where there may be some confusion
regarding the study of prophecy (which I advocate) and the
assertions of what it means.  Both seem to be lumped together and
brought under fire, and the assertions that are disproven usually
leave both parties with a bad perspective of continued study of
prophecy.

The "ten toes" can be shown pretty well to be
a ten nation confederacy.  What cannot be shown is that it
has anything to do with the current European nations.
Looking at prophecy, one concludes that there is to be a ten
nation group and then tries to cause *his* expectaions to
fulfil or validate the the prophecy by saying -look this
could be the "ten toes" and then makes the jump of knowledge
to proclaim it *is* the ten toes.  Proclamations about how
the prophecy is to be fulfilled lead one down a very
dangerous path.

To answer the above question directly -yes.  I have
recently heard some commentary that just as
Germany has become one nation, other nations in
the confederacy will likewise divide and consolodate
so that when things are supposed to happen, there will
be ten nations.   I haven't heard, though I suspect it
very soon for the newly formed alliance in the
middle east to be touted as the *real* ten toes.  What I
believe is that there will be ten nations.  Anything
else is opinion.

Besides answering the direct question, I hope I
have also demonstrated there is a difference
between prophetic scripture and prophetic opinion
based on the scripture.  It is the latter that usually
draws the most attention and biggest flames.