[soc.religion.christian] Interior Castle

lionti@ecs.umass.edu (09/04/90)

Has anyone here read St. Teresa of Avila's "Interior Castle"?  I just read
it and it opened up a whole new world of possibilities for having a
relationship with God that I was unaware existed.  Unfortunately, by her
description I'm lucky if I'm entering the "first mansion", so I found
that alot of what she was talking about is beyond me in any real sense.

Could anyone out there comment on this, or suggest other works of a similar
nature, or suggest in more concrete (sp?) terms how to move to the interior
mansions (examples from personal experience would be most helpful).  Thank
you, in advance.
                        |  "O Lord, you deceived me, and I was deceived:
Eric C. McClure       --+-- you overpowered me and prevailed.
lionti@umaecs.bitnet    |   I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me.

daveh@tekcrl.labs.tek.com (David Hatcher) (09/17/90)

In article <Sep.9.00.44.24.1990.9463@athos.rutgers.edu> lsheet@athena.mit.edu writes:
>Following are some more books with topics relating to "the union of love
>with God" :
>
>1.	The Way of Perfection		Teresa of Avila
>2.	Dark Night of the Soul		St. John of the Cross
>3.	The Ascend of Mount Carmel	    "
>4.	The Love of God			St. Bernard
>5.	The Imitation of Christ		Thomas A'Kempis
>6.	The Cloud of Unknowing		   ?

  I've read all of these, boy, they sure open ones inner eyes. I'd also
  like to suggest _The Mysticism of the Cloud of Unknowing_ & _The Inner
  Eye of Love_ both of which are by William Johnston. Also, St Teresa of
  Avila's autobiography offers a very good insight into the spiritual
  journey that leads to union with God. Thomas Merton is also another
  person whom has has writen several very good books on the subject.

  In my own mind, I've often wondered if Merton should be considered
  a mystic in his own right. The Trappist Monks call him a prophet.
  They use that term in describing Merton not in the sense that he
  told the future, but in the sense the he was so opened and turned
  towards God that what Thomas Merton said was in a direct response to
  that inner experience of spiritual union with God. This is where I
  feel that true spiritual wisdom is born.

	David Hatcher

	        For the great temptation of theology has always been
		to divorce itself from mystical experience and to
	        wander off into irrelevant speculation.

				William Johnston
				_The Inner Eye of Love_

jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com (09/27/90)

Works by saints are the best ones on the spiritual life.  I recommend:

	St. Therese of Lisiuex, autobiography
	St. Francis de Sales, Introduction to the Devout Life
	St. Anthony Mary Claret, autobiography

TAN Books and Publishers is currently publishing a work called "The
Christian Combat", I think, that is supposed to be excellent.

A standard work for American seminaries was once "The Spiritual Life",
by Tanqueray (sp?).  It's an excellent book.

There is also "The Three Ages of the Interior Life", by Garrigou-
Lagrange, O.P, one of the greatest Catholic theologians of the century.

The last two are theological works, and are not light reading.

Joe Buehler

mangoe@mimsy.umd.edu (Charley Wingate) (10/19/90)

I'm sure I've mentioned Martin Thorton's _Christian Proficiency_ before, but
I thought I should mention it again with the good news that it is back in
print (Cowley).

For those who have not heard my spiel before: this book is a practical
manual of basic spirituality.  It talks about getting you rprayer life
organized, direction, rule, and various common problems and what to do about
them.  "Practical" is its watchword.  It's written from an anglican
perspective, but it is immediately relevant to RC usage, and I think that
evangelicals and other protestants may well find a lot of it helpful too.

--
C. Wingate         + "Our God to whom we turn when weary with illusion,
                   +  Whose stars serenely burn above this world's confusion,