[net.followup] new twist on computer "crime" and law

*	From: falcone@erlang.DEC (Joe Falcone, HLO2-3/N03, dtn 225-6059)

	. . . the AFL-CIO has passed resolutions indicating their
	position on other "work-at-home" situations.  In particular,
	they passed a resolution favoring the passage of a law
	regulating computer work at home. . . .  Of course, it is
	unclear what the extent of such a law would be, but it would
	definitely effect all those solitary hackers putting out nifty
	utilities for PC's as a profitable hobby.  In this case, hacker
	does = criminal; someone could be prosecuted for programming at
	home just like the knitters in New England.

(-:)

FLAME!!!  What!?  They're all conspiring to keep us stuck in rush hour!
Work at home?  They'll haul me off to jail!  (Please officer I was just
playing Rogue!  NOOOOOooooooaaaaaauuugh....)
--
(This mind accidently left blank.)

In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

wall@ucbvax.ARPA (Steve Wall) (09/26/84)

[this might end up in net.politics...]
[you toucha my modem, I breaka your face...]

60 Minutes did a story on "cottage industries" (i.e. working at home)
last Sunday (Sept. 23rd). The story was on a group of people back East
somewhere who make women's wool clothing at home and how the AFL-CIO was
trying to get them to close down their home production.

There is some basis for the union's concern in the garmet industry, since
there are quite a few small businesses that resemble "sweat shops" and
employ mostly women at low wages. The people back East worked at home
under very pleasant conditions and earned ~$8.00/hr, but the union was
trying to keep this from spreading turning into the low-paying "sweat shops".
I think the union might have a point here, although it's clearly open for
debate.

ANYWAY, The interesting thing was that one of the home-producers said that
the union was using them as a guinea pig for the much bigger home computer
industry that is emerging. With union membership on the decline, there is no
doubt that the will try to get a foothold on the home computer industry.
I have a feeling tha it will get pretty nasty as this issue is settled.

Ah yes, "The times, they are a changin'"

Steve Wall
..!ucbvax!wall

long@ittvax.UUCP (H. Morrow Long) (09/26/84)

> CC:
>

> For those of you following the "work-at-home" legal debate which
> has surrounded some New England knitters, there is an interesting twist
> to that story which hits close to home.  As part of the relentless
> effort by the International Ladies Garment Workers Union to maintain
> that law, the AFL-CIO has passed resolutions indicating their position on
> other "work-at-home" situations.  In particular, they passed a resolution
> favoring the passage of a law regulating computer work at home similar to
> the law used against the New England knitters.  Of course, it is unclear
> what the extent of such a law would be, but it would definitely effect all
> those solitary hackers putting out nifty utilities for PC's as a profitable
> hobby.  In this case, hacker does = criminal; someone could be prosecuted
> for programming at home just like the knitters in New England.
>

> Joe Falcone
> Eastern Research Laboratory		decwrl!
> Digital Equipment Corporation		decvax!deccra!jrf
> Hudson, Massachusetts			tardis!

	I saw the piece CBS "60 minutes" did on this issue and it
appeared that the AFL-CIO was also trying to stamp out the advance of
"telecommuting".  Is this true?  If so, I think we should send mail to
our congresspersons.

				H. Morrow Long
				decvax!ittvax!long

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (09/26/84)

This discussion started out "for those of you following the debate
about knitters working at home."

I'm sorry, but some of us are unaware of this debate and would like
to know more.  Can someone please summarize what has happened to
these unfortunate people trying to make a few bucks?  What law has
been passed?  Why was it passed?  What court case occurred?  How
does the law stand up against the constitution?  What is the scope
of the law (e.g. USA, Mass, some city?)

djw@imsvax.UUCP (Donald Whytock) (09/27/84)

...Perhaps I am naive, but this talk about the AFL-CIO hitting up on
home computer workers surprises me.  In point of fact, I didn't know
that there had been any effort to unionize programmers.  Are there
any specific instances of this? (As far as that goes, are there any
examples of good programming "sweat shops"?  I can just see some poor
unknown genius being forced to unfair labor conditions at a mere $35K...)

					Donald Whytock
			    ...allegra!umcp-cs!eneevax!imsvax!djw

wall@ucbvax.ARPA (Steve Wall) (09/28/84)

I'm sorry if the article I submitted was vague, but I was just passing
along what the home workers on 60 Minutes mentioned last Sunday (i.e. that
the unions will try to fight against home computer work).

After thinking this over, it really doesn't make sense that the unions
would be after programmers, since programmers are (for the most part)
well paid and work under good conditions. I think that the union might
be against the more "data entry" oriented types of jobs that tend to
be lower paying and more open to unionization. For instance, say Company
A pays Person B $5.00/hr to enter data from home, whereas a person working
at the office would be paid $7.00/hr. Clearly, Company A would be in-
terested in cutting costs by hiring the person at home. I think that the
unions are concerned because the people who work at home will be harder
to organize than the people who work at the office (since workers at
the office are grouped together on a daily basis, there would be a better
chance of unionization, whereas the people at home are scattered throughout
an area and are harder to organize).

My impression is that there is not a lot of this type of "home" working
going on at this time, but it could become more common in the future.

Does this seem to make sense, or am I completely off base? Comments?

Steve Wall
..!ucbvax!wall

sef@drutx.UUCP (FarleighSE) (09/28/84)

A comment was made that seeing how programmers are well paid the
Unions would not try to organize them.  (This is my understanding
of the comment).  WRONGO, bit breath!  The local Sicilian Boy Scout
chapters have, for atleast the past seven years, been trying to
"organize" professionals, ie. engineers, programmers, etc..

They, the Unions, have met with limited success in this endeavor.
The reason they are trying to organize pro's is because of the falling
numbers of blue collar workers.

PERSONAL OPINION!!!!!!!!!!
I feel the reason the Unions have met with limited success in this
area is that professionals usually have a higher educational background
than the blue collar worker (this does not necessarily mean that pro's
can spell, see above article :-)).

The above comments and opinions, etc., are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

				Scott E. Farliegh
				AT&TIS Denver

dxp@pyuxhh.UUCP (D Peak) (10/01/84)

Re : Unions and telecommuting.

 Someone recently stated that they hadn't seen much union
activity in regards to recruiting computer professionals.
Well it's on the way. The US for several reasons lags
behind Europe as far as union membership is concerned.

When I was last employed(am now self employed) 9 years
ago by a US corporation in England the unions already
had a good solid foot in the door through organization
of computor operators,data prep staff and some programmers.
One thing the unions fought for and won was overtime pay.
The employers view was that a programmer was a member of
management and thus was recompensed in other ways than
overtime pay. The unions (and a lot of programmers) stated
that they were technicians and thus deserved overtime pay.

One thing that unions appear to have gained in Britain is
5 weeks paid vacation (check UK computer publications).
When I left Britain starting vacation entitlement was
3 weeks and 3 days. I don't know how strong the unions are
in DP industry nowadays (maybe a more recent ex-pat could
post more info).
--

    Dave Peak (pyuxhh!dxp)

   "Thank God I'm an atheist !!!"
   - Dave Allen

jj@rabbit.UUCP (10/01/84)

It seems to me that the AFL-CIO's real intent is to DAMAGE the
jobs of all those elitist white collar pigs that take jobs
away from the blue collar worker by making the best, most comfortable,
and most productive way to work illegal.

I don't doubt that SOMEONE will start a computer sweatshop,
for every good there is an evil, after all, I just think that
the results of a computer sweatshop would never pay off in the long
run.
--
BE KIND TO SOFT FURRY CREATURES, THE
LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!

(allegra,ihnp4,ulysses)!rabbit!jj

bprice@bmcg.UUCP (10/01/84)

In article <ucbvax.2241> wall@ucbvax.UUCP writes:

>                          it really doesn't make sense that the unions
>would be after programmers, since programmers are (for the most part)
>well paid and work under good conditions.

Shows how well you understand unions.  They want to get programmers, with
their good pay, because the better the victim is paid, the more union dues
he can pay.  The better the working conditions, the less work the union
crooks have to do themselves.

>                                                        I think that the
>unions are concerned because the people who work at home will be harder
>to organize than the people who work at the office (since workers at
>the office are grouped together on a daily basis, there would be a better
>chance of unionization, whereas the people at home are scattered throughout
>an area and are harder to organize).

This paragraph is getting a lot closer to the problem that the union crooks
have with a work-at-home idea.  The very nature of a union is power:  the union
leader has it, because the demos in congress have given it to him.  He's not
about to agree with anything that will reduce that power, or reduce the uses
that he can put the power to, or reduce the income he can get from having that
power.

It's a lot easier to police a picket line when you have a place to picket.
How do you verify that your union members are obeying your strike orders if
they don't have to get by the goons to get to work?  If each person can set his
own working conditions, in his own home, how can the union use working
conditions as a contract (power) item?

Naturally, I'm not claiming my statements to be those of anybody else.  I could
get into deep sneakers if the unions that contract with parts of my employer
were to believe that my statements were company policy.
--
--Bill Price    uucp:   {decvax!ucbvax  philabs}!sdcsvax!bmcg!bprice
                arpa:?  sdcsvax!bmcg!bprice@nosc