[soc.religion.christian] Book of Mormon Witnesses

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (10/01/90)

In article <Sep.27.03.19.37.1990.14463@athos.rutgers.edu> ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:

>Given that Oliver Cowdery was excommunicated (as were most of the
>witnesses listed at the beginning of the BoM), why is his testimony
>taken seriously?

True most left the church but that's not the point.  The important
point is that even outside the church they remained faithful to
their testimony.  If anything I think this strengthens the reasons
to take them seriously, they were still supporting a cause they had
quarreled with.

BTW, of the first 3 witnesses, Oliver Cowdery and Martin Harris
returned to the church, Harris moving to Utah where he died but
Cowdery's health not permitting him to do so.  David Whitmer never
did return.

>Concerning Isaiah, JS wrote an amplified/"corrected" version of the Bible;
>part of Matthew is published by the LDS.  I understand that the RLDS have
>and use the whole thing.  Shouldn't a Mormon analysis include JS's version
>of Isaiah as well as the AV and MT?  Indeed, shouldn't a Mormon analysis
>take JS's version as _more_ correct than the MT?
>--

He started but never finished this revision.  In addition it never
claimed to be a translation in the usual sense but an "inspired
version" given by direct revelation to correct some errors.  Not the
sort of thing which lends itself well to scholarly tools.

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (10/04/90)

In article <Sep.30.20.00.49.1990.15934@athos.rutgers.edu> hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) writes:

>True most left the church but that's not the point.  The important
>point is that even outside the church they remained faithful to
>their testimony.

Not quite.  In fact, all of the three witnesses (Oliver Cowdery,
David Whitmer, Martin Harris) later denied the key part of their
sworn testimony: that they had physically seen the gold plates
and the engravings thereon.  Their persistence in this denial
prompted Joseph Smith to call them "counterfeiters, thieves,
liars and blacklegs" - not, one feels, a remark calculated to
enhance either their credibility or his.

In addition, if one counts Smith himself as a witness, four out
of four changed their testimony.  Smith's first account was that
he was led to the plates not by an angel but by a dream, which
is confirmed in a holograph letter from his mother written in
1829.  He also claimed he was told how to obtain the plates by
a glost: "like a Spaniard having a long beard, with his throat
cut from ear to ear, and the blood streaming down."  It was only
in 1842 that he drafted the account that we now find in copies of
the BoM, where he has replaced a story very like a contemporary
gothic romance with a different story very like the Masonic
legend of the Book of Enoch.

crf@tomato.princeton.edu (Charles Ferenbaugh) (10/04/90)

In article <Sep.30.20.00.49.1990.15934@athos.rutgers.edu> hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) writes:
>[in a discussion about witnesses to the BoM]
>True most left the church but that's not the point.  The important
>point is that even outside the church they remained faithful to
>their testimony.  If anything I think this strengthens the reasons
>to take them seriously, they were still supporting a cause they had
>quarreled with.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This statement needs a bit of clarification.  The witnesses never renounced
their testimony _to the Book of Mormon_, so if that's what you mean by
"supporting a cause" then the statement is true.  But if you understand
"cause" to mean the LDS church then the statement is no longer true.

In particular, I'm thinking of David Whitmer, who late in his life
wrote "An Address to All Believers in Christ."  His purpose was twofold:
1.  to reaffirm his testimony to the BoM, even though he had left
    the LDS church many years before and had no intent of returning;
2.  to warn people that Joseph Smith had introduced bad things into
    the LDS church that were unrelated to the BoM revelation (and that
    this was why he left).  He summarized this by saying, if you believe
    my BoM testimony, you must also believe me when I say, get out of
    the LDS church.

So it's sort of misleading for the LDS church to use (half of) Whitmer's
testimony on its own behalf, while ignoring the rest of what he said.

The above is a summary of what I remember from reading Whitmer's original
work a couple of years ago.  (It was on microfilm in the Princeton library,
so those of you near large university libraries would probably also have
access to it.)  If there is interest I can dig the thing up again and
post some direct quotes...

Grace and peace,

Charles Ferenbaugh

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (10/07/90)

In article <Oct.3.23.27.20.1990.2010@athos.rutgers.edu> firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:

>Not quite.  In fact, all of the three witnesses  [to the Book of
>Mormon] (Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, Martin Harris) later
>denied the key part of their sworn testimony: that they had
>physically seen the gold plates and the engravings thereon....

How about a reference for this?  In fact you may have noticed that
Charles Ferenbaugh posted an article which appeared here just after
yours quoting David Whitmer *strongly* supporting his testimony of
the Book of Mormon even as he claimed that the LDS church itself had
gone astray.

While some people have claimed the witnesses denied their testimony,
I have never seen any believable documentation tracing that to
anything verifiable.  By that I mean a reference to something
written by one of the 3 men or at least to first-hand written
testimony of a reliable people who were present at their denial.
The fact that 2 of the 3 later re-joined the church gives at least
some evidence that they did stand by their testimonies.  The one
who did not re-join was David Whitmer and I've already mentioned his
testimony in the preceeding paragraph.

(Unfortunately I'm here in the position of trying to "prove a
negative."  Unless we can somehow find everything these men ever
said or wrote we really can't prove that they never denied their
testimonies.  However we do have their statements from after the
time they left the church indicating that they still stood by what
they said.)

>In addition, if one counts Smith himself as a witness, four out
>of four changed their testimony.  Smith's first account was that
>he was led to the plates not by an angel but by a dream, which
>is confirmed in a holograph letter from his mother written in
>1829.  He also claimed he was told how to obtain the plates by
>a glost: "like a Spaniard having a long beard, with his throat
>cut from ear to ear, and the blood streaming down."  It was only
>in 1842 that he drafted the account that we now find in copies of
>the BoM, where he has replaced a story very like a contemporary
>gothic romance with a different story very like the Masonic
>legend of the Book of Enoch.

Again you neglect to provide any references except to "the account
that we now find in the BoM."  While it is true that Joseph Smith
wrote 3 accounts of what happened none of them mention your gory
"Spaniard."  The accounts differ from one another less than the
gospels do.  (And yes, I have read all 3, have you?)

(Actually, if my admitedly hazy memory is correct the source of
the "Spaniard" as well as the letter you mention from Joseph Smith's
mother is the Mark Hoffman forgeries.  They were total fabrications
partly designed to discredit the church.)

wcsa@cbnewsc.att.com (10/07/90)

In article <Oct.3.23.27.20.1990.2010@athos.rutgers.edu>, firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:

> In article <Sep.30.20.00.49.1990.15934@athos.rutgers.edu> hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) writes:
>
> >True most left the church but that's not the point.  The important
> >point is that even outside the church they remained faithful to
> >their testimony.
>
>Not quite.  In fact, all of the three witnesses (Oliver Cowdery,
>David Whitmer, Martin Harris) later denied the key part of their
>sworn testimony: that they had physically seen the gold plates
>and the engravings thereon.  Their persistence in this denial
>prompted Joseph Smith to call them "counterfeiters, thieves,
>liars and blacklegs" - not, one feels, a remark calculated to
>enhance either their credibility or his.

Approximately two years ago, on t.r.m, Joe Applegate made this charge.
I demanded exact citations to support this view, and he supplied, from
the standard anti-Mormon literature, several references.  When those
references were chased down, they fell into one of three classes:
either they were third hand accounts that led nowhere, because someone
in the chain back to the witnesses was unnamed, they were forgeries
that even other key anti-Mormon writers have since acknowledged, or
they seem to be bothered by the witnesses insistance on stating that
they saw the plates through the eye of faith.

At the moment I am assuming that Robert's charge that they denied that
"they had physically seen the gold plates ..." is related to the last
class, "the eye of faith."  The witnesses insistance on using this
statement is based on something they all heard at the time they were
shown the plates, a voice from heaven declared that they had been
shown the plates "by the power of God." Whitmer and Harris both
commented later on the usage of this phrase when an early writer
of anti-Mormon literature, named Deming, attempted to claim that
they had not physically seen the plates because they had used this
phrase.  Their response was essentially that Deming didn't know what
he was talking about.

As for Robert's suggestion that Joseph Smith called the witnesses
liars and blacklegs because they denied their testimony of the
BoM, I think that closer examination will show that this angry
exchange had nothing to do with their testimony of the BoM, rather
with charges that Joseph Smith had supported Samuel Avary's
para-military movement in Missouri.

>In addition, if one counts Smith himself as a witness, four out
>of four changed their testimony.  Smith's first account was that
>he was led to the plates not by an angel but by a dream, which
>is confirmed in a holograph letter from his mother written in
>1829.  He also claimed he was told how to obtain the plates by
>a glost: "like a Spaniard having a long beard, with his throat
>cut from ear to ear, and the blood streaming down."  It was only
>in 1842 that he drafted the account that we now find in copies of
>the BoM, where he has replaced a story very like a contemporary
>gothic romance with a different story very like the Masonic
>legend of the Book of Enoch.

Well, we can all see that the standard anti-Mormon literature has not
caught up with the rest of the world.  The 1829 letter referred to
by Robert was actually a modern forgery penned by Mark Hoffman.  The
Spaniard with the long beard statement comes from an early anti-Mormon
source (I think E.D. Howe).  Most critics admit that it can't be traced
back to any Mormon source, but it was one of the things that influenced
Hoffman's later forgery "the Salamander Letter." As for the current
standard version, I should point out that it was actually written in 1837,
not 1842, as Robert suggests. But if Robert is really interested in the
early versions of the coming forth of the BoM, perhaps I might point out a
few versions that were written by JS in 1831, 1832, and 1834. Some of them
were actually published in the early 1830s and throw a lot more detail on
the sequence of events then the 1837 version, and have nothing in common
with the "Spaniard." Perhaps, it might also be useful to point out to Robert
that E.D. Howe was also an active member of the "anti-Masonic" league in
Kirtland, Ohio.
--

  Willard C. Smith    att!iwsgw!wcsa    wcsa@iwsgw.att.com
      "It's life, Captain, but not as we know it."

gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) (10/21/90)

In article <Oct.6.23.19.46.1990.1793@athos.rutgers.edu> wcsa@cbnewsc.att.com writes:
>Perhaps, it might also be useful to point out to Robert
>that E.D. Howe was also an active member of the "anti-Masonic" league in
>Kirtland, Ohio.

Willard:

Hi again.  Been a while since we last chatted over this marvelous
medium. ;-)

What is the significance of the above statement concerning Howe?

In her book _Occult Theocracy_, Edith Star Miller says this

"Such was the excellency of their [Gnostics] knowledge and Illumination
who arrogantly styled themselves Gnostics, that they [feel they] are
superior to Peter and Paul or any of Christ's other disciples.  They
only, have drunk up the supreme Knowledge, are above Principalities and
Powers, secure of Salvation: and for that very Reason are free to
debauch Women.

"Gnosticism, as the Mother of Freemasonry, has imposed its mark in the
very centre of the chief symbol of this association.  The most
conspicuous emblem which one notices on entering a Masonic temple, the
one which figures on the seals, on the rituals, everywhere in fact,
appears in the middle of the interlaced square and compass, it is the
five pointed star framing the letter G.

"To the brothers frequenting the lodges admitting women as members, it
[the G, which is often said to mean Geometry, then God, the Great
Architect of the Universe] is revealed that the mystic letter means
Generation...Finally, to those found worthy to penetrate into the
sanctuary of Knights Kadosch, the enigmatic letter becomes the initial
of the doctrine of the perfect initiates which is Gnosticism.

"It is Gnosticism which is the real meaning of the G in the flamboyant
star, for, after the grade of Kadosch the Freemasons dedicate themselves
to the glorification of Gnosticism (or anti-christianity) which is
defined by Albert Pike as "the soul and marrow of Freemasonry.""

So I find it odd that you would think that Howe's activities in regards
to Masonry of import.

Grace and peace,

Gene Gross

[There seem to be a number of flavors of Freemasonry.  I have known
a number of Masons who assure me that their groups hold positions
consistent with Christianity.  However I also know of groups with
the views you suggest.  Thus it may be hard to know the significance
of Masonic and anti-Masonic activities without knowing more details.
--clh]

wcsa@iwsgw.att.com (Willard Smith) (10/23/90)

In article <Oct.21.01.22.40.1990.23757@athos.rutgers.edu>, gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) writes:
>In article <Oct.6.23.19.46.1990.1793@athos.rutgers.edu> wcsa@cbnewsc.att.com writes:

>>Perhaps, it might also be useful to point out to Robert
>>that E.D. Howe was also an active member of the "anti-Masonic" league in
>>Kirtland, Ohio.
>
>Hi again.  Been a while since we last chatted over this marvelous
>medium. ;-)
>
>What is the significance of the above statement concerning Howe?

Hi Gene, yes, it has been a long time; probably just before I took my
six month "sabbatical" from the net the first of this year.

The significance of Howe's anti-masonic activities suggests the motive of
the story Robert Firth presented as an alternative version for the discovery
of the BoM.  As you will recall, Firth claimed that the earliest Mormon
versions of the discovery of the BoM involved an old "Spaniard," whose throat
had been cut from ear to ear, appearing to JS.

Despite a great deal of searching, noone can find anything among materials
written by any early Mormons to support this claim. This story can only be
found among  the writings of an old anti-Mormon, E.D. Howe.  Several years
ago, the general consensus among historians was that Howe attempted to
consolidate anti-Mormon and anti-Masonic activities, and this story was
just one of the ways he tried to do it. The cut throat alluded to the
anti-Masonic stories of punishment metted out to disobedient Masons.
--

  Willard C. Smith   att!cbnewsc!iwsgw!wcsa    wcsa@iwsgw.att.com
      "It's life, Captain, but not as we know it."