[soc.religion.christian] Evangelizing Atheists

coatta@cs.ubc.ca (Terry Coatta) (10/25/90)

Paul Moloney writes:

> There's more to atheism than just "christians aren't especially good so
> therefore God doesn't exist". Atheists don't believe in a God, full stop.
> No amount of coaxing or "freebies" can change that.

I hadn't intended to imply otherwise.  However, as a Christian I obviously
do believe that God exists. I don't epect you to analyze my actions and
somehow deduce that God exists.  I'm not suggesting that I can induce
you into believing that God exists through some series of arguments.
I simply believe that my actions may help you perceive God.

>  If I promised you a tooth fairy, would you believe me because I had
>  "a better message to deliver?". Same difference to an atheist.

I should have thought it was fairly obvious that this portion of the
message was addressed specifically to those who were Christians
already.  Some of the postings in this group (from Christians) struck
me as being produced from a fear of the ``evangelizing atheists''
of the subject line.  All I was trying to say is that, from a
Christian viewpoint, I think this fear is unwarranted.  Of course,
the viewpoint of a non-Christian is going to be different.

Terry Coatta (coatta@cs.ubc.ca)
Dept. of Computer Science, UBC, Vancouver BC, Canada

`What I lack in intelligence, I more than compensate for with stupidity'