[soc.religion.christian] The Mark of the Beast and the "new world order".

jma@milton.u.washington.edu (Marty Anderson) (09/25/90)

     Sept 20, 1990

     Speaking of the Antichrist and his false prophet in the "end
     times", the Word of God says:

          Revelation 13:16-18
          He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and
          poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right
          hand or on his forehead,
          17 so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the
          mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of
          his name.
          18 This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let
          him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's
          number. His number is 666.

     The purpose of this posting is to make people aware of the
     Universal Product Code's (UPC) compelling case for being this
     "mark of the beast".  Today, the UPC is used to uniquely "mark"
     almost every product bought or sold so that scanning devices can
     quickly identify a product and its determine its price.  The UPC
     is used world-wide.  A careful examination of the UPC reveals
     that IF it is ever used to identify every person on earth for the
     sake of "easing" the "buying and selling", by giving every person
     his own unique "mark", Revelation 13:16-18 may be fulfilled.
     Furthermore, THE MOST COMMON UPC IN USE HAS THE NUMBER 666
     INTRINSICALLY EMBEDDED IN IT!

     The UPC is capable of identifying at least 1 trillion unique
     products or people while the current population of the planet is
     about 6 billion.  So, the UPC could easily be imposed upon the
     right hand or forehead" of every citizen of the "new world order"
     by a coming world leader.  Let the reader beware:

          Revelation 14:9-12
          A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice:
          "If anyone worships the beast and his image and
          receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand,
          10 he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which
          has been poured full strength into the cup of his
          wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the
          presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.
          11 And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and
          ever. There is no rest day or night for those who
          worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who
          receives the mark of his name."
          12 This calls for patient endurance on the part of the
          saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful
          to Jesus.

     A more in depth study of the UPC is available in Mary Stewart
     Relfe's book, "The New Money System", published by:

          Ministries Inc.
          PO Box 4038
          Montgomery, Alabama 36104
          USA

     I have written a two page summary sheet describing the UPC which
     clearly demonstrates that the number "666" is a permanent feature
     of this "mark".  Since the paper includes graphics, depicting
     examples of the UPC and showing the "666", I cannot post it.
     However, I will a copy of this UPC summary to everyone who sends
     their name and address (not e-mail address) to me.  (If, of
     course, I receive a hundred million requests, it may take some
     time and money to do this but I will try.)

     Please send all requests for the two page UPC summary to:

     Ty Anderson

     @atc.boeing.com:tma@dcl1
     jma@blake.u.washington.edu
     jma@milton.u.washington.edu

          John 3:36
          Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but
          whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's
          wrath remains on him."

          Rom 10:9
          That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord,"
          and believe in your heart that God raised him from the
          dead, you will be saved.
          Rom 10:13
          "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

BINDNER@auvm.auvm.edu (09/27/90)

It has also been said by Biblical scholars that 666 was an
anagram for Nero, and that the chief purpose behind Revelation
was (is) the comfort of oppressed Christians.

Has any one else heard this interpretation?

Michael

[The text says that 666 is a man's name (Rev 13:18), and it's implied
that it is obvious to the reader, which suggests that it is a name
from the 1st Cent. (or before).  The usual explanation is Nero.  To
get that, you use "Neron Kaisar" (Nero's title in Greek), written in
Hebrew script, adding up the traditional values of the letters.  Some
texts show the number as 616, which is what you'd get writting Nero's
Latin title (Nero Caesar) in Hebrew script.  A more ingenious theory
is Domitian, in the form in which his name appeared on coins.  His
Greek title was Autokrator Kaisar Dometianos Sebastos Germanikos.  If
you abbreviate it as A.KAI.DOMET.SEB.GE, you get 666, using Greek
values. Given the context, something from coins is very attractive.
Unfortunately, the abbreviations used on coins varied, and that exact
abbreviation doesn't appear on any of them.  There are some other less
plausible theories that I'm not going to bother with.  This is all
taken from G.B. Caird's commentary on Rev.  --clh]

st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) (10/01/90)

I wonder about applying the 666 to Nero.  Isn't it generally accepted
that Revelation was written *after* the death of Nero, in 80s or 90s AD?
(At least--with liberal scholars saying later than that even?)

Steve

[Rev. doesn't say that 666 is the number of the current emperor.  I'm
not up on research on Rev., but Caird's commentary (Harper's NT
Commentaries) says the only early evidence for a date is Irenaeus, who
said it was written in the closing years of Domitian, who reigned
81-96.  There are other indications in the book make that appear
right.  --clh]

crf@mace.princeton.edu (Charles Ferenbaugh) (10/01/90)

I've heard it said that, if you write "Jesus of Nazareth" in Hebrew, and
read the letters as numbers in the straightforward way, the total is 666.
Can someone who knows Hebrew (I don't, obviously) confirm or deny this?

If true, it would give the prophecy an interesting interpretation that we
wouldn't normally think of - namely, that the number 666 is another way
of saying that the Antichrist is trying to pass himself off as the Christ.
Any thoughts on this?

Grace and peace,
Charles Ferenbaugh

CONS.ELF@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Ake Eldberg) (10/03/90)

Hello!

Speculations on the meaning of the number 666 and "the mark of the
beast" are endless. I consider it useless to try and identify any
single historic person as the beast. The Bible says there are many
antichrists, and when the final one comes, we will probably not
need any mystic numbers to know him.

The closest thing to the number (or mark) of the beast today is
social security numbers. I don't know about the USA, but here in
Sweden these numbers are gradually becoming the only identities
we have. It is impossible to open a bank account, take an insurance
or get any service from the public health care, without this number.
Nobody asks for your name any more - it's the number they want.
Some public transport systems have a rule that you must write this
number on your monthly ticket, otherwise it's invalid. These are
only some examples among many of the all-encompassing power of the
social security numbers.

This is in contrast to the Bible, where a person's name has a
special relevance as identity. In the Psalms, it is said that the
Lord knew our names before we were born. All knees shall be bent
in the name of Jesus, and so on. But the Antichrist is identified
by a number, not a name.

I think the parallels are worth thinking about.

Ake Eldberg

sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark T. Sandrock) (10/03/90)

In article <Sep.30.20.13.32.1990.15990@athos.rutgers.edu> st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes:
>I wonder about applying the 666 to Nero.  Isn't it generally accepted
>that Revelation was written *after* the death of Nero, in 80s or 90s AD?
>(At least--with liberal scholars saying later than that even?)

Actually, the number 666 does *not* signify evil, and so the "man" referred
to in Revelation does not necessarily have to be an evil man.

The number 6 itself signifies *might*, and 666 thus signifies *tripled might*.
In the case of the Beast, this means that the "the sin" of mankind in turning
away from God, has by the time of the Final Judgement, attained to such might
that it merits this number: 666.

As for the "man" who is signified by 666, in this case it is *might* in the
service of the Light, and the person refered to is (in the spiritual sense)
Ismael, who at that time lived on earth as John the Baptist.

As I have stated before, the key to this knowledge is to be found within
the German language (which Martin Luther was called to help develop). The
Beast of the Revelation represents the words "the Sin" (German: die Suende).
(The two horns of the Beast represent the two words: "die Suende" - the Sin.)
The name John the Baptist in German is "Johannes der Taeufer". Both of these
phrases (die Suende and Johannes der Taeufer) have the number 666 in the German
language in accordance with the Law of Numbers ("the measure of all things").

The Beast, thus, depicts *tripled might* in the service of evil, whereas,
John the Baptist (Ismael), was (and is) *tripled might* in the service of God.

This knowledge has been available throughout much of this century, and is based
on the knowledge given in the work: "In the Light of Truth", the Grail Message,
by Abd-ru-shin, which itself was written in the German language, and is also
available in many other languages, including English.

Regards,
Mark Sandrock
--

BITNET:   sandrock@uiucscs	        Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Internet: sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu   Chemical Sciences Computing Services

BINDNER@auvm.auvm.edu (10/07/90)

You've piqued my curiosity.  Does this German text mention
a Great Monarch, or the Anti-Christ?  What does it say
on the age of conflict some say we now experience?

Michael

sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark T. Sandrock) (10/19/90)

In article <Oct.6.21.38.01.1990.1032@athos.rutgers.edu> BINDNER@auvm.auvm.edu writes:
> You've piqued my curiosity.  Does this German text mention
> a Great Monarch, or the Anti-Christ?  What does it say
> on the age of conflict some say we now experience?
>
>Michael

Actually, I mentioned two quite different texts in the posting to which
I believe you refer. The first text is the one which specifically deals
with the meaning of the number 666 in the Revelation of John. The second
text is the Grail Message itself, which I have mentioned several times
in this group, and about which there is much more yet to be said...

The first text, which is not available (yet?) in English is called:
"Einblicke in das Schoepfungswirkern". An approximate translation of this
title might be: "Insights into the operation of Creation". The author's
name is Herbert Vollmann, and the publisher is Verlag der Stiftung
Gralsbotschaft, Stuttgart, Germany. (Grail Message Foundation Publishing Co.)

This first text comprises five short lectures, the fifth of which is titled:
"Die geheimnisvolle Zahl 666 in der Offenbarung Johannes". To translate this
I would say: "The mysterious number 666 in the Revelation of John".

This lecture explains that a man named Lucien Siffrid (1891-1964) was called
to receive the knowledge concerning the Law of Numbers, and that this new
knowledge does contain the key to understanding the meaning of the number 666.

This lecture explains that the language of the Revelation is a language of
"pictures". And that each picture corresponds to a particular process or
happening. Furthermore, that the meaning of the pictures can only be grasped
in the *spiritual* sense, and not otherwise.

The first beast (13,1) for instance, depicts the uncontrolled rulership of the
earthbound intellect. The second beast, as I have already stated, depicts
"the Sin" of mankind in turning away from the Will of God. In place of God,
it is only to be expected that our "Sin" would persuade us instead to worship
the rulership of the intellect, which being earthbound, can offer no spiritual
values, no morality, and no knowledge about God and His Will.

As far as any discussion about "a Great Monarch" or about the Antichrist, this
short lecture does not mention these terms, but the Grail Message itself does
give explanations about the Antichrist. It explains that only Lucifer himself
could have the strength and the power to fight against God, against the Mission
(at that time) of Christ. As the Revelation depicts, it is Lucifer (the dragon)
who gives "his own might" (6=might, remember) and "great authority" to the
first beast. The conclusion one might then draw is that all human beings who
"worship the beast" are unwittingly making themselves into willing servants of
the Antichrist, of Lucifer.

This is not to say that the intellect is not a valuable tool, for that would
be over-reacting. The intellect is necessary for life on earth, and is meant
to be developed and used according to the Will of God. The danger lies in our
giving the *highest* place in life to the intellect, a place which actually
belongs to the human *spirit* itself. The spirit should and must lead, and it
should use the intellect only as a necessary tool to facilitate life on earth.

If the other hand, we allow our intellect to have the upper hand, if we allow
it to have the lead in our lives, out of spiritual indolence, then the strict
consequence is that our spirits become prisoners, inactive and helpless, unless
and until we exert ourselves to once again become free human beings standing
and living only in the Will of God. God's Will is Spirit, and in order to know
and understand it, we ourselves must become free in spirit.

As far as what will take place in the "end time", the Grail Message does in
fact explain the *process* of the World Judgement, that is, how it is brought
about by the Power of God, and what this implies for each individual. This
does not mean specifics of "what will happen", since in any case this could
direct our attention (I believe) in the wrong direction. What is important,
even crucial, for each individual is to learn to recognize the Will of God
in every happening, both great and small, and therefore to know how to put
our own lives in order, such that we are then able to look up to God in the
confidence and security that we stand in His protection, regardless of what
happens around us and around the world. Many may want to say they have already
achieved this condition of confidence and recognition, and if so, then that is
fine, but to all those who still seek for answers, I wish to point out that the
Grail Message is available to provide the necessary answers!

I realize that this is perhaps a lot to try to cover in a short posting and
with limited time, but I do feel the urgency of trying to bring this vital
work: "In the Light of Truth", the Grail Message, by Abd-ru-shin, to the
attention of serious seekers everywhere, and this is my motivation in posting.

If in fact people do want to know more about the Grail Message, and the great
knowledge it mediates, my best advice is to either check it out from a library
(it exists in many libraries across the U.S., for instance), or else to order
a copy from the Grail Foundation of America, 2081 Partridge Lane, Binghamton,
NY 13903. It is 1062 pages, I believe the price is $24, but I also believe that
they will bill you if you prefer. The Grail Foundation is an IRS-recognized
non-profit organization, btw.

To those who wonder why I want to mention the Grail Message in a "Christian"
group, my answer simply is this, that I have been reading the Grail Message
since 1977, and it is my conviction that there is nothing more Christian than
just the Grail Message itself, for it truly does explain and complete the
Message and Mission of Christ, in accordance with the words of Jesus: "Many
things yet I have to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. ..."

With best regards,
Mark Sandrock

--

BITNET:   sandrock@uiucscs	        Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Internet: sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu   Chemical Sciences Computing Services
Voice:    217-244-0561		        505 S. Mathews Ave., Urbana, IL  61801

jjj@blob.hut.fi (Joni Jaakko J{rvenkyl{) (10/21/90)

I have been listening an album made by Vangelis (+ Demis Roussos) for a few
days now, which is called 'Aphrodite's child'. It has three big number
6's on the cover.

Am I now supposed to be under the power of evil Satan, the ever-so-bad
Lucifer?

PS I know no religion. Am I an ignorant pagan, who is just being seduced by
the Mighty Powers of Dark Emperor?

--
jjj@niksula.hut.fi
jjj@otax.tky.hut.fi

fire me, fire					until you die

watson@uunet.uu.net (Steve Watson) (10/25/90)

Well, I guess I'll jump in and get things started....
In article <Oct.21.01.51.52.1990.24906@athos.rutgers.edu> jjj@blob.hut.fi (Joni Jaakko J{rvenkyl{) writes:
>I have been listening an album made by Vangelis (+ Demis Roussos) for a few
>days now, which is called 'Aphrodite's child'. It has three big number
>6's on the cover.
>Am I now supposed to be under the power of evil Satan, the ever-so-bad
>Lucifer? .... Am I an ignorant pagan, who is just being seduced by
>the Mighty Powers of Dark Emperor?

Personally, I doubt it.  The idea that a object, picture, or word can, of
itself, exert an influence is called 'magical thinking', which IMHO is foreign
to Christian theology (yes, I realize I'm implicitly attacking the beliefs of
those who collect(ed) relics of the saints and pieces of the True Cross.
So be it.)

However, I do wonder about the motivation of people who deliberately use a
symbol known in our culture as an emblem of evil.  I haven't heard the album
(my knowledge of Vangelis starts and ends with 'Chariots of Fire'), but
would feel *uncomfortable* about buying it (I'm not entirely sure why: I guess
its the thought that counts).

--
"Blame me, not the Company I keep..." - Steve Watson