[soc.religion.christian] many Christs???

timh@ide.com (Tim Hoogasian) (10/22/90)

> John Graves writes:
>
>I believe that their are and have been many Christs

since Christ is described (prophesied) to be the "Annointed One", (the
Messiah (Savior)) this doesn't wash.  remember that the Hebrew Bible
(Old Testament, to Christians) was given to the Jews.  they were (are)
waiting for a (that's SINGULAR) Savior to set them free.  you'd have
a really hard time suggesting to the Jews that there are (and have
been) multiple "Saviors" in the world.  you've substituted a completely
new definition of your *own* for the Messiah.  well now, if it's fine
for anyone to qualifiy for this position, then just show me where i
can sign up!

your other suggestion that you have rejected Paul's Gospel also doesn't
wash, since we know that John and Peter (described as "pillars of the
Church", and who would seem to qualify as being "ok" by your standards)
extended to Paul the "right hand" of the fellowship.  i.e., they checked
him out, and gave him their own "seal of approval".

since John and Peter knew Jesus PERSONALLY, i think that's a pretty
strong endorsement of someone you don't think is worth listening to.

it seems pretty convenient to be able to just "pick and choose" what
you want to believe out of the Word, John.  if i read a mathematics
textbook and decide to reject that 2+2=4, because i don't like the
author of the text, haven't i checked my mind at the door?

--
Tim	  |	ARPA:  timh@ide.com
Hoogasian |	UUCP:  sun!ide!timh	 	(415) 543-0900

John_Graves@cellbio.duke.edu (John UU Graves) (10/25/90)

timh@ide.com (Tim Hoogasian) writes

> John Graves writes:
>
>I believe that their are and have been many Christs

Tim Hoogasian) writes

since Christ is described (prophesied) to be the "Annointed One", (the
Messiah (Savior)) this doesn't wash.  remember that the Hebrew Bible
(Old Testament, to Christians) was given to the Jews.  they were (are)
waiting for a (that's SINGULAR) Savior to set them free.  you'd have
a really hard time suggesting to the Jews that there are (and have
been) multiple "Saviors" in the world.  you've substituted a completely
new definition of your *own* for the Messiah.  well now, if it's fine
for anyone to qualifiy for this position, then just show me where i
can sign up!

And John Graves replies:

If you feel that you are a prophet please do sign up.  In fact, you
probably already have.
Now this is not meant to be a flame.  Theodore Parker, a Unitarian
minister, said in 1841, that
 "Wise men we have had since and good men, but this Galilean youth strode
before the world
and much of divinity was in him.  But still, was he not our brother?  The
son of man as we are, the son of God like ourselves.  His excellence, was
it not human excellence,his wisdom, love, piety, sweet and celestial as
they were, are they not what we also may attain?"  This is the
Unitarian view of Jesus.  He was 100% human and his example of a life of
service and integrity is not beyond the reach of nay human being.

Quoting from Arvid Straube, UU Minister in Durham, NC:

Now there are two words used in the New Testament to describe Jesus.  One
is Hebrew and that is the word "messiah."  This is one, and the other is
Greek, and that is "christos."  The Hebrew word suggests a human
being--annointed--they both mean annointed one, both these words.
Annointed by God to bring about the political salvation of the people of
Israel.  The best Greek equivalent--the NT was written in Greek--was
"christos," which also means annointed one, but with a definite
connotation of divinity, so when that translation occurred, we already
have the beginnings of the doctrine of the divinity of Jesus.  But it is
doubtful whether that earliest gospel sees Jesus that way at all.  You see
the word Christ refers to that divinity.  It's not Jesus's last name,and
I'm amazed by how many educated people think that.  Jesus was a human
teacher.  What he taught was the reign of God here and now in a world full
of apocalyptic expectation, of political intrigue, a people who were
putting their lives aside for some divine political event, the return of
the Messiah.  Jesus was saying, look around you.  The kingdom of God, the
reign of God, is here now.  All you have to do is live, enjoy, love, treat
each other with respect.  We make it now, our decisions now, our actions
now, we make the reign of God now.

And I would add that the people were expecting Moses or Elijah, both of
whom were referred
to as annointed by God, as were the kings of Israel.  The High Priests
were also annointed.
But for me, the real question is not whether Jesus was the only annointed
one, the only
Christos, but whether his message, his life, were important, or were they
just window dressing for a sacrificial lamb.  If Jesus was part of the
Triune God, then I would hope that
God has learned something about the fragility of human life and spirit in
the face of suffering
and would not punish those of us who fail to live up to high standards.
God sends his love.
Let's send ours.

John Graves                 Unitarian Universalism
Duke Divinity               An inclusive church
disavows                    where you don't check
anything I say!             your mind at the door!