[soc.religion.christian] Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Religion

mclarke@ac.dal.ca (10/22/90)

After having posted the following, I see a need to clarify my point.

Time and progress march on ... Technology advances and society is adjusting
to the new technologies and incorporating it.

...We take gradual change in our lives for granted and tend to accept
incremental changes without question.  If this is not handled now there
will be little time to react when it takes effect.

There are two evolving technologies which will gradually change the
way society makes day to day choices.  They are artificial intelligence
and parallel processing.  Essentailly this means that within about 20 years
computer technology should be able to emulate the human reasoning process..

...Texas Instruments, among others claim that "quantum chips" are soon
to be a reality and expect production near the year 2000. (Scientific
American, Quantum Chips).  Since there is about a ten year lag time
between introduction and full application of a technology that plants
us around the year 2010 for implementation.  The massive change in size of
chips and potential sophistication suggests that parallel processors
may be available near that time which approach the human mind in reasoning
for restricted applications.

...Artificial Intelligence software (Expert Systems) which attempts to emulate
the human reasoning process is now restricted by the current power of
computer equipment.  Even Cray supercomputers are becomming restrictive
in large AI or Expert applications.  When the new chip technology becomes
available a Cray could fit in a desktop computer.  It is not inconcievable
that companies like Cray, IBM, Etc. will have extremely powerful applications
of quantum chips in new supercomputers which can provide a suitable
platform for AI applications.

When the technologies mature, corporate and government choices can be made by
computers.  They will be more efficient, faster, more accurate and much
cheaper.  Professional jobs will be done by computer.  This includes
medical, legal, etc. positions.

...Many qualitative choices wiil be made by computer.  For example,
medical diagnosis (already a reality), traffic court judgements.

The question is " WHO is going to teach the computers human values, morals,
etc."  Christian bodies had better start investing $$$ in research now to
avoid future crisis.

...You can teach a human being values but who will be responsible for
creating a set of values for computer judgements?  Should the Church not
become an advocate for creating a worldwide "standard"?

...I am not looking for "soft dollars".  I don't want to see a crisis
in society that could have been prevented by persons more "expert"
(no pun intended) than I.

Michael Clarke
Halifax, N.S.

Des Colores

kwilson@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Kent Wilson) (10/23/90)

In article <Oct.22.02.05.27.1990.19950@athos.rutgers.edu>,
mclarke@ac.dal.ca writes:

|>The question is " WHO is going to teach the computers human values, morals,
|>etc."  Christian bodies had better start investing $$$ in research now to
|>avoid future crisis.
|>
|>...You can teach a human being values but who will be responsible for
|>creating a set of values for computer judgements?  Should the Church not
|>become an advocate for creating a worldwide "standard"?

Oh c'mon!!!   Haven't you heard of Separation of Church and AI Software? :)
Go read your Constitution!

|>Michael Clarke
|>Halifax, N.S.
|>
|>Des Colores

Kent

mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) (10/25/90)

In article <Oct.22.02.05.27.1990.19950@athos.rutgers.edu> mclarke@ac.dal.ca writes:
>There are two evolving technologies which will gradually change the
>way society makes day to day choices.  They are artificial intelligence
>and parallel processing.  Essentailly this means that within about 20 years
>computer technology should be able to emulate the human reasoning process..

I happen to be a researcher in the fields of "artificial
intelligence" (I don't like the term myself - I prefer
something like "experimental computing") and parallel
processing. From my experience I believe this is absolute
nonsense. It is not possible to see where anything remotely
human-like could even come from.

>computers.  They will be more efficient, faster, more accurate and much
>cheaper.  Professional jobs will be done by computer.  This includes
>medical, legal, etc. positions.

A computer simply obeys rules. That's it. What you are really
complaining about is a rigid adherence to rules. There is no
need to bring computers into it - exactly the same situation
would arise if doctors and lawyers always stuck rigidly to a
fixed set of rules. Doctors and lawyers don't usually behave in
this way though, they bring in their own human knowledge to
interpret the rules, and deal with special cases that weren't
considered when the rules were drawn up. In this way they can
come up with better solutions. However humans can go against
the rules by mistake, which is where use of computers has an
advantage.

Rather than confuse the issue by bringing in "artificial
intelligence, you should be thinking in more practical terms.

Matthew Huntbach

kwb@hpmtlx.lvld.hp.com ($Keith_Blackwell) (11/05/90)

/ hpmtlx:soc.religion.christian / mclarke@ac.dal.ca / 12:05 am  Oct 22, 1990 /

|...Artificial Intelligence software (Expert Systems) which attempts to emulate
|the human reasoning process is now restricted by the current power of
|computer equipment.

Having done some research into cognitive modelling while in Graduate School,
I believe this statement is a gross misunderstanding.  Sure, the "current
power of computer equipment" may be a limiting factor in some sense, and
that is one factor that is quickly changing.  But the most important limiting
factor is our own ignorance of the complexities of the human cognitive
processes.  That factor is not going to change rapidly.

Some fascinating theories have come out and been refined in the past 30 years,
and many of those could be combined and implemented in some emulation system
running on super-hardware alluded to later in the above post.  But the very
practical problem of how to get such a system rolling would take enormous
person-resources to solve.  Having gotten a vision for the kind of research
necessary to accomplish the goal of having person-emulation similar to what
we find in science fiction, I am convinced that we won't see any actual
working models come anywhere close for another 70 or so years.  Technology
can increase a million fold, and we still don't know what do with that
technology.  The questions we need answers to simply cannot be answered
within the next 20 years.

If you are interested in this field, I suggest you browse through issues
of the _Cognitive_Science_ journal at a research library.  As for morality,
others have answered that issue well (and not so well).  This may become
an issue when (connectionist?) systems begin to take on responsibilities
within the realm of interpersonal relationships, but I don't think that will
happen for many decades.

---
Keith Blackwell