[soc.religion.christian] Real and unreal Christians

birchall@pilot.njin.net (Shag) (11/05/90)

It seems from what I've seen that one key distinguishing factor
between "real" or "mainstream" Christianity and "unreal" or "cult"
Christianity is acceptance of other forms.  I was brought up Baptist,
switched to non-denominational as I did not want to offend anyone by
being denominational.  Since then, I have related {socially} to people
who were catholic/episcopalian, mormon, and baptist.

The catholic/episcopalian unfortunately had very little idea what they
really believed.  The Mormon stated steadfastly that no one who was
anything but Mormon stood a chance of ever getting into heaven
{Baptists particularly, I learned with chagrin, are no friends of the
Mormons - oddly enough, I still get along fine with my Mormon friend}.
The Baptist condemned no one religiously, but made a point of
condemning any lifestyle they found offensive.

Therefore, in less than a string variable, here is my view of what a
real Christian is:
 Someone who believes in salvation through faith in Christ _and_
doesn't think that their own little niche of Christianity is the
"only" way.

 Each denomination has its strong points and its flaws, even the
"fringe" groups can teach the "mainstream" something.  But if a
faction overtly denounces another faction that others accept, the
faction which denounces should be held as of questionable validity.

-sh

David.Anderson@cs.cmu.edu (11/06/90)

Lynn, here, desiring to clarify something "Shag" posted on 11/5, to wit:

> Excerpts from netnews.soc.religion.christian: 5-Nov-90 Real and unreal
> Christians Shag@pilot.njin.net (1352)

> The Mormon stated steadfastly that no one who was anything but Mormon
> stood a chance of ever getting into heaven

I don't know who "the Mormon" is that Shag talked to, but whoever it was
wasn't very clear about the lds position, IMHO.

LDS believe in different "kingdoms of glory" to which people will go
after they are judged at the last day. These kingdoms of glory differ as
the sun differs from the moon, the moon from the stars, and so on (cf. I
Cor. 15:40-42). People are judged according to their works and assigned
to the appropriate kingdom accordingly.

It should be said that even the lowest kingdom of glory is still a
kingdom of glory--a place of peace and happiness. LDS believe that only
those who deliberately fight against God after having the witness of the
Holy Spirit are cast out--in other words, do not inherit a kingdom of
glory. This "outer darkness" is hell.

We do believe that in order to inherit the highest kingdom of glory, a
person must do all that God requires: be valiant in the testimony of
Jesus Christ, receive and live by His gospel. We further believe that
*all* people will have the opportunity to learn about and accept or
reject Christ's gospel before the day of judgment (which we do *not*
believe comes immediately after death, BTW).

The LDS concept of heaven--in the sense of the highest kingdom--is tied
into our belief that it is God's purpose for us (and the highest
happiness) to become like Him--to eventually create and people worlds,
etc. (LDS do not believe in the "otherness of God," but rather that we
are His literal offspring.) For some folks, this entire idea is anathema
and they will be perfectly happy in a different kingdom of glory, which
is where they will indeed be.

[We've had a discussion of LDS beliefs recently enought that I don't
want this to start another one.  I'm allowing this so as not to leave
an incorrect impression.  I should have caught the error in the
original posting.  Sorry. --clh]

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (11/06/90)

In article <Nov.5.04.50.34.1990.15413@athos.rutgers.edu> birchall@pilot.njin.net (Shag) writes:

>...            The Mormon stated steadfastly that no one who was
>anything but Mormon stood a chance of ever getting into heaven

This sort of true but rather oversimplified.  LDS (Mormon) belief is
that one must be baptized by an authorized agent of Jesus for that
baptism to be valid.  We believe that the authority to do so today
resides with our peiesthood holders.  However we believe that for
those who do not have an honest chance to receive such baptism in
this life the Lord provides a way for them to accept it between
death and resurrection.

>{Baptists particularly, I learned with chagrin, are no friends of the
>Mormons - oddly enough,...

I suspect this depends on the variety of Baptist.  I have met some
on the net who are very open and friendly.  However I can also
testify from personal experience that some are quite willing to
persecute others for religious reasons.  I was raised LDS in a
Southern Baptist community and the religious attacks were there.
They sent out poorly informed religious attacks when my dad ran for
the school board.  The best school superintendent we ever had was
Catholic and they hasseled him until he left town.  Some of the
unkind things done to me were probably the result of kids being kids
but a lot of the religiously motivated political attacks were
directly sponsored by churches.

Please do not take this as a blanket condemnation of all Baptists or
even all Southern Baptists.  I know there are many who do not
suscribe to this kind of behavior.  Unfortunately there are also
quite a few who regularly teach about us in Sunday School and what
they teach is usually wrong.  This last of course is not limited to
Baptists but it seems to me they are more likely than most
denominations to do it.