[soc.religion.christian] Christians in Lebanon

kriz@skat.usc.edu (Dennis Kriz) (11/06/90)

In article <Oct.25.02.58.11.1990.28720@athos.rutgers.edu> duncant@mbunix.mitre.org (Thomson) writes:
>I don't know if you'll want to discuss this on your group, but I am really
>interested in how Christians will answer this question, so here goes...
>
> [story of a case in Lebanon]
>
>My question is this:  How can events such as these be reconciled with
>the christian notion of a god who is both omnipotent and benevolent?

There have been a bunch of responses on this question already, I'd just
like to add a comment about the Christians in Lebanon in particular.

I think that both Christians and non-Christians would agree that just
because someone calls him/herself a Christian makes them so.

Last year during fighting among two Christian factions, the Patriarch of
the Maronite (?) Christians there, went on the Christian radio and
threatened to excommunicate anyone who continued to fight.  His appeal
caused at least a three day cease-fire to take place.

Also there was at least one documented instance (appeared in the LA Times)
where several hundred Christians put their lives on the line and placed
themselves as a human wall between two combatting factions to bring the
fighting to at least a temporary end once more.

dennis
kriz@skat.usc.edu