[soc.religion.christian] What do you vote on Burning records?

bwood@su1b.uucp (Barbara Wood) (11/02/90)

Hi!
If you just discovered that some old records that you don't listen to
anyway had symbols of satanism on them and/or had evil messages that
were "back-masked" on them (that can influence your sub-concious) such
as "hail satan, smoke-pot, turn the dead man on , etc " would you get
rid of it? Just a question.
Love & prayers!
sis, Barb

      Barbara Wood 630 Roth CT. S.E. Palm Bay, Fl 32909 (407) 768-7522
      work: (407)727-4446
      Not the opinion of my earthly employer but of my Heavenly.
      Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us O Lord, but unto THY name give glory

uriel@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Scott Whitmore) (11/06/90)

In article <Nov.2.03.49.02.1990.4193@porthos.rutgers.edu>, bwood@su1b.uucp (Barbara Wood) writes:
>Hi!
>If you just discovered that some old records that you don't listen to
>anyway had symbols of satanism on them and/or had evil messages that
>were "back-masked" on them (that can influence your sub-concious) such
>as "hail satan, smoke-pot, turn the dead man on , etc " would you get
>rid of it? Just a question.
>Love & prayers!
>sis, Barb

Well, if I discovered I had such records, and I were sure that back-masking
was legit (which I'm not), I would probably break 'em in two and throw them
out.  If you found such records, they're your property, you can destroy them
if you want, right?

Scott

>      Barbara Wood 630 Roth CT. S.E. Palm Bay, Fl 32909 (407) 768-7522
>      work: (407)727-4446
>      Not the opinion of my earthly employer but of my Heavenly.
>      Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us O Lord, but unto THY name give glory
Scott Whitmore, uriel@maple.decnet%pine.circa.ufl.edu, Univ. of Florida
snailmail: 24-510 Tolbert Hall, Gainesville, FL  32612  (USA)
"If the Lord don't care, and He chooses to ignore-ah,
 Tell it to the people of Sodom and Gomorrah!"  -- Steve Taylor
Standard Disclaimer: UF wouldn't back up what I said if I paid them.

dhosek@frigga.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (11/06/90)

In article <Nov.2.03.49.02.1990.4193@porthos.rutgers.edu>, bwood@su1b.uucp (Barbara Wood) writes...

>If you just discovered that some old records that you don't listen to
>anyway had symbols of satanism on them and/or had evil messages that
>were "back-masked" on them (that can influence your sub-concious) such
>as "hail satan, smoke-pot, turn the dead man on , etc " would you get
>rid of it? Just a question.

Interesting question...

Also, it's kind of tough for me since I tend to listen to even
the oldest of the music that I have around (the only times I've
gotten rid of anything were old tapes and records that had become
unlistenable through use and all tapes and records when I decided
to sell my cassette deck and turntable last year).

How about books? I in fact have some books (e.g., a book by
Richard Bach) that teach things contrary to my faith. I have no
intention of getting rid of it (although what my heirs do after I
die is their business, I just hope that my library ends up in the
hands of someone who will read the books and not just leave them
on bookshelves). I personally think that it's important to
experience art that challenges one's beliefs. I read both
Protestant and Catholic theology for example, to fully understand
why I believe the things I do. I have a volume of essays by a
notable nineteenth century atheist lecturer (R.G. Ingersoll, in
case anyone is wondering). I read novellists like Farrell and
Joyce.

But should everyone do this? Maybe not. However, it is important
to let each individual decide for his or herself how much they
want to be challenged in this way. I only hope two things: that
they do challenge themselves at least a little and that they do
not allow another to decide how they will be challenged.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info

In article <Nov.2.03.49.02.1990.4193@porthos.rutgers.edu>,
bwood@su1b.uucp (Barbara Wood) writes:
> If you just discovered that some old records that you don't listen to
> anyway had symbols of satanism on them and/or had evil messages that
> were "back-masked" on them (that can influence your sub-concious) such
> as "hail satan, smoke-pot, turn the dead man on , etc " would you get
> rid of it? Just a question.

Um, to the best of my knowledge, tests which have been done on voices
played backwards show that people can pick up whether the speaker is
male or female, and may be able to distinguish between languages (e.g.
between English and Swedish) based on stress patterns, but that's _it_.
I'm reminded of a song that won prizes in New Zealand; some people
got _very_ upset about it because they thought it said "Share my
marijuana, Marie".  In fact the song said "Sheryl Moana Marie", which
was the name of the author's sister.  If people do that with voices
played forwards where the singer is trying to make the words understood,
isn't it likely that "hail satan" is just as much a figment of the
imagination as "share my marijuana"?  Shouldn't we be worrying about
the words that are openly played forwards?  Aren't they bad enough?
Why not worry about the attitude to pre- and extra-marital sex that
is openly propagandised in popular romances?

If you have some old records that you don't listen to, where's the harm
in chopping them up regardless of sdrawkcab masking?  Heat them up and
make plant pots or something.  Destroying someone else's records is a
dubious thing to do, but disposing of your own in a non-polluting way,
why not?

As for anti-Christian symbols; what have you done with your dollar notes?

--
The problem about real life is that moving one's knight to QB3
may always be replied to with a lob across the net.  --Alasdair Macintyre.

liu@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Peter T Liu) (11/06/90)

Would I get rid of those records which I don't listen to anyway?
The answer is YES, for it says in the Hebrew Scriptures at
Deuteronomy 7:26:

	"And you must not bring a detestable thing into your
	 house and actually become a thing devoted to destruction
	 like it.  You should thoroughtly LOATHE it and absolutely
	 DETEST it, because it is something devoted to destruction."
	 (Italics added).

Thus if one is truly Christian, one should "...Abhor what is wicked,
cling to what is good."(Romans 12:9)  Paul tells us to ABHOR what is
wicked, not to mention Satan or anything that is his (in this case
the records because as you said they contained Satanic messages.)
Please note the use of the word 'abhor', which carries with it a
very strong connotation.  You can hate something but still live
with it, but when you abhor something you totally detest it and you
want to get rid of it ASAP.

Further reason from the Scripture can be found at
1 Corinthians 10:14,20 (The Jerusalem Bible) :

	 "This is the reason, my dear brothers, why you must keep
	  clear of idolatry...The sacrifices that they offer they
	  sacrifice to demons who are not God.  I have no desire
	  to see you in communion with demons."

Idols do not necessarily need to be a carved image or a sculpture;
it can be anything which one venerates other than Jehovah.  For example
a singer or a rock group can be an idol.  A sports star can be an
idol.  The idea associated with sacrifice is rendering tribute.
Thus singing a song with Satanic messages is one way of rendering
tribute to Satan.

In conclusion, the Bible teaches us to get rid of unclean things and
abhor what is wicked so as not to have harm come unto ourselves.
Thus I would get rid of that record, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T LISTEN TO
IT MUCH.

The views expressed in this article are based solely on the Bible
and are in no case related to upenn.

liu@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

SECBH@cunyvm.bitnet (11/08/90)

(Barbara Wood) writes:

>If you just discovered that some old records that you don't listen to
>anyway had symbols of satanism on them and/or had evil messages that
>were "back-masked" on them (that can influence your sub-concious) such
>as "hail satan, smoke-pot, turn the dead man on , etc " would you get
>rid of it? Just a question.
>Love & prayers!
>sis, Barb

If the records are your own and you believe they will corrupt you,
take whatever action you find appropriate in regard to your own
property.

More important, however, I would strongly suggest NOT burning
phonograph records.  The fumes released from trying to incinerate
vinyl are potentially harmful if inhaled.  Inhaling the smoke
is quite likely to do more damage to you than the alleged satanic
messages.
Jack Carroll               "When your death makes a gesture to you,
<SECBH@CUNYVM>              an enormous weight of triviality drops away."

                                                       Don Juan

garyh@crash.cts.com (Gary Hipp) (11/08/90)

In article <Nov.2.03.49.02.1990.4193@porthos.rutgers.edu> bwood@su1b.uucp (Barbara Wood) writes:

>If you just discovered that some old records that you don't listen to
>anyway had symbols of satanism on them and/or had evil messages that
>were "back-masked" on them (that can influence your sub-concious) such
>as "hail satan, smoke-pot, turn the dead man on , etc " would you get
>rid of it? Just a question.

"Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on
earth."--Col.3:11 "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is
honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,
whatever is of good repute, if there is anything worthy of praise, let
your mind dwell on these things."--Phil.4:8

"Therefore, be imitators of God, as beloved children;"--Eph.5:1

It is many times helpful to ask yourself the question, "What would
Jesus do?"  In this case, I think he may respond the same way he did
with Peter in Matt.16:23, "Get behind Me Satan!  You are a stumbling
block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but
man's."

garyh

LPR100@psuvm.psu.edu (LARRY ROSSI) (11/09/90)

 Burn records? It depends how weak minded you are. I  think a lot of the "Satan
ic Stuff" is all a put on, believe what you want to believe. It's been proven.
How many people out there thought KISS was a satanic rock group? Well try and l
abel them that now. I think groups use it primarily as a macho image to attract
 an audience. If I liked a song that was considered satanic, I would still list
en to it, until I saw changes or other people saw changes in me. If you're weak
minded, don't listen to it. I listen to a lot of music, demonic and christian r
ock alike.......you just have sort it out yourself refuse what it's saying just
 like you do every other thing in the world.

                          Ed Weiland

kday@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Day) (11/14/90)

In article <Nov.9.00.55.22.1990.29307@athos.rutgers.edu> LPR100@psuvm.psu.edu (LARRY ROSSI) writes:
> an audience. If I liked a song that was considered satanic, I would still list
>en to it, until I saw changes or other people saw changes in me. If you're weak
>minded, don't listen to it. I listen to a lot of music, demonic and christian r

  If you were driving your car and saw traffic stop in front of you,
would you keep going until you noticed the front of your car be dismantled
in front of you? My point? Why wait until you see damage to do anything
about it? I would much rather keep a watch over what I see and hear
to guard myself against potential harm. No, I am not a "record burner".
I do listen to some secular music as well as Christian rock. But, I
do not listen to groups who have displayed a tendency towards songs
that I know would have a negative effect on my spirit. When I hear a
song on the radio that has content that is spiritually detrimental,
I turn the station off.
  But, hey, it's your choice.

K. Scott Day
David Taylor Research Center
Bethesda, Maryland

 "He who gives to the poor will not lack, but he who hides his eyes
  will have many curses."
						  -Proverbs 28:27