[soc.religion.christian] Needed: Eastern Orthodox Resource Centers

tdawson@yclept.chi.il.us (Father Antonio) (11/13/90)

I am writing a Master's thesis on the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and
need information regarding Eastern Orthodox schools and libraries.

Specifically, are there any such resource centers in the midwest?  Elsewhere
in the U.S.?  I understand there is an Orthodox school affiliated with the
Catholic University of America in Washington D.C.--is this true?

Names, addresses and phone numbers of these schools would be greatly
appreciated.  Also, any recommendations regarding books, journal
articles etc. would be most helpful.

Many thanks,

Tony Dawson

jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com (11/14/90)

Tony Dawson wrote:

    Also, any recommendations regarding books, journal
    articles etc. would be most helpful.

Here are a few things that may help.

Two classic Western liturgists are:

	- Fr. Adrian Fortescue
	- Fr. (Joseph?) Jungmann (sp?)

I know for a fact that Fortescue has written on the Eastern rites.  You
might find it useful to consult these two in an attempt to find further
sources.

The (old) Catholic Encyclopedia has bibliographies in various articles
on various liturgies.  (If you ever figure out who uses what liturgy in
the East, let me know.  It's a little complicated. :-)

You might also try Joseph Assemani.  If I recall correctly, he was a
convert to Catholicism from the East, who started investigating his
native liturgy, and did some very important work.

There are Eastern rites within the Roman Catholic Church.  You could try
contacting their various seminaries in Rome, or the Congregation in Rome
concerned with the various Eastern rite affairs.  There are also Eastern
rite dioceses in this country that might be able to help.  The
Byzantine-Ruthenians, for instance, use the Liturgy of St. John
Chrysostom.  You can get addresses from your local chancery office,
undoubtedly.

Joe Buehler

RXC106@psuvm.psu.edu (11/17/90)

In article <Nov.14.03.42.05.1990.25434@athos.rutgers.edu>,
jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com says:

>Tony Dawson wrote:
>
>    Also, any recommendations regarding books, journal
>    articles etc. would be most helpful.
>

>There are Eastern rites within the Roman Catholic Church.  You could try

Ack!  Not again.  There are Eastern Catholic _Churches_ in communion with
the Roman Catholic Church.  These Churches are complete in themselves.
Their visible link is the Pope; their invisible link is the Catholic
Faith which is neither Roman nor Eastern.

>contacting their various seminaries in Rome, or the Congregation in Rome

Don't bother.

>concerned with the various Eastern rite affairs.  There are also Eastern
>rite dioceses in this country that might be able to help.  The
>Byzantine-Ruthenians, for instance, use the Liturgy of St. John
>Chrysostom.  You can get addresses from your local chancery office,
>undoubtedly.
>
>Joe Buehler

The groups of Byzantine Catholics in the USA with established hierarchies (in
order of # of faithful) are the Ruthenian, Ukrainian, Melkite, and Romanian.
All these groups use primarily the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.

Various addresses are as follows:

Ruthenian Metropolitan Province (Byzantine Catholic Church of America)
Archbishop's Chancery
3605 Perrysville Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA  15214

Ukrainian Metropolitan Province
Archbishop's Chancery
827 N. Franklin St.
Philadelphia, PA  19123

Melkite Greek-Catholic Eparchy of Newton
Office of Educational Services
19 Dartmouth St.
West Newton, MA  02165

CATECHETICAL MATERIALS & OTHER RESOURCES:  (including many EXCELLENT books)

God With Us Publications  [Byzantine Catholic]
225 Olivia St.
McKees Rocks, PA  15136

Eparchy of Passaic Office of Religious Education  [Byzantine Catholic]
1400 Church St.
Rahway, NJ  07065

St. Vladimir Seminary Press Bookstore / Orthodox Christian Education Commission
575 Scarsdale Road                            [ Orthodox Church in America ]
Crestwood, NY  10707

Conciliar Press   [Evangelical Orthodox Mission - Antiochian Orth. Archdiocese]
P.O. Box 106
Mt. Hermon, CA  95041-0106

The last is particularly notable:  it is the publishing arm of the branch of
the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese, the Evangelical Orthodox Mission
, which consists mainly of former evangelical/fundamentalist Protestants (many
of whom were prominent leaders of Campus Crusade for Christ) who, in their
search for "the New Testament Church," found the Orthodox Church and eventually
were accepted into it with over 2000 of their "flock."  Now they minister pri-
marily to that same audience of which they were once a part.  Much of their
publishing is "apologetic" in nature, and they publish an excellent quarterly,
"Again," which is geared to the Orthodox and non-Orthodox alike.

One more plug:  the best (in my and many others' opinions) Byzantine Christian
(Catholic or Orthodox) newspaper in the USA:  the bi-weekly _Horizons_:

Horizons
Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma
1900 Carlton Road
Parma, OH  44134

Any of the above should serve as excellent resources to the Byzantine Churches
in America - the remedy for what's wrong in America today.

[]---------------------------------------------------------------------------[]
[]     ///  Rich Custer / rxc106@psuvm.psu.edu / Penn State University       []
[]    ///                 |  DISCLAIMER: "I didn't do it.  |                 []
[]\\\/// Make up your own |     Nobody saw me do it.       |  Ja Rusyn byl,  []
[] \XX/    mind...Amiga!  |   You can't prove anything!"   |  jesm' y budu!  []

llo@uunet.uu.net (Larry Overacker) (11/17/90)

In article <Nov.13.04.24.47.1990.1154@athos.rutgers.edu> wheaton!tdawson@yclept.chi.il.us (Father Antonio) writes:
>I am writing a Master's thesis on the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and
>need information regarding Eastern Orthodox schools and libraries.

  ...stuff deleted ........
For you and any others that may be interested, a good source for information is

St. Valdimir's Theological Press
575 Scarsdale Road
Crestwood, NY 10707-1699

The most recent phone number I have is 914-961-2203.

They publish an excellent journal, St. Vladimir's Theological Quarterly,
and their publishing service has materials on all aspects of Orthodoxy.
I have found them to be very helpful in the past.

>Tony Dawson

Larry Overacker
       Art is not a mirror held up to reality,
       but a hammer with which to shape it.           bertolt brecht