[soc.religion.christian] draft of Identity Task Force statement

lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Louie Crew) (11/02/90)

I am on an Identity Task Force of the Diocese of Newark and have agreed
to write a draft of the portion of our Identity statement that deals with
our own mission.  This will follow a much longer section in which we
try to define the Church, and specifically "the Episcopal Church," as we
understand them.

This is still rough and obviously subject to the enlarging visions of others
on the Task Force.  I would welcome any suggestions you might share with
me of ways to make this better.

Thank you.

Louie Crew's Draft  of the "Diocese of Newark" portion of our Task  Force
Document:

Understanding  our  community as called to love the  world  radically,
we  define  ourselves not as monument-makers  but  as  tent-dwellers,
focused on a new Jerusalem, a holy city, in Newark's fair and pleasant
land.

We  on  this Task Force call upon our Diocese steadfastly  to  commit
ourselves--our  time,  our  talents,  and  our  dollars--to  ministries   of
justice  and compassion, not just towards other Episcopalians and  not
just  towards other Christians, but toward the full  human  community
for  whom  Christ  died.   We take seriously the  bidding  to  let  God's
countenance  be  seen in our own.  We worship neither  a  dead  Jesus
nor  a dead book but the Word Made Flesh.  We believe in  the  Holy
Spirit, continuing God's ministry with us and through us.

As did Jesus, we must not only feed the hungry, shelter the  homeless,
clothe  the naked, and visit those who are alone, neglected, sick  or  in
prison,  but  must  also  vigorously  advocate  systemic  changes.   Why
should  we  in New Jersey and the United States allow so many  to  be
homeless  and  hungry?    How can we reverse patterns  of  greed  and
violence in our society?

Our society says to many young people in Newark:  Either sweep at  a
fast-food  outlet,  or take out a dealership in crack  cocaine.   Genera-
tion of Vipers!  We call upon our leaders to provide better choices.

Hour  by  hour,  minute  by minute, we  greedily  use  up  our  natural
resources  and  prodigally pollute the earth, air and water.   We  must
repent lest we perish.

How can we unite rich and poor?   We must promote more  dialogue,
more  sharing,  a  more equitable distribution of  our  own  resources,
cultural  as  well  as  economic.  It is ridiculous to  dream  of  living  in
heaven with people whom we avoid on earth.

As the Diocese of Newark has built schools, hospitals, hospices, AIDS
ministries,  oases for lesbians and gays, we call upon it to  continue  to
manifest itself as a radical lover of the world in fresh ways:

     Create  a  Task  Force of Prophecy,  charged  with  monitoring
     social  justice  issues  within the diocese. The  Task  Force  will
     coordinate   responses  at  the  parochial,   convocational,   and
     diocesan  levels.   The Task Force will plan and  coordinate  at
     least  two major public forums annually to bring  together  citi-
     zens,  elected  officials,  civil  servants,  economists,  and  other
     advisors  to  dialogue  about issues of social  justice.    At  least
     one  of  these events will be set in the community of  the  poor.
     The   Task  Force will also develop a human  resources  list  of
     persons in the diocese willing to witness for Diocesan concerns
     in various secular forums.

     Assign  an officer of the diocese to bring together in one  place
     for dialogue and mutual building up of the community,  people
     from  parishes  diverse economically and culturally.    We  urge
     that  each parish plan joint services and other types  of  gather-
     ings  with  another unlike parish at least quarterly.     We  urge
     clergy  to  swap  pulpits across cultural and  economic  lines  at
     regular intervals.

     Assign  an  officer  of the diocese or a task force  to  review  all
     the Diocese of Newark's responsibilities towards the environ-
     ment.   This  person or task force would network  parishes  and
     persons to other Christians working for the same goals;  would
     advise parishes of policies that would make them better  stew-
     ards;   would draft official environmental policies for the  Dio
     cese.

     Create  an  appropriate  body  or  designate  a  current   officer
     specifically   to  address  the  Diocese's  role  in   education   in
     general  and  in  education  specifically  designed  to  lead  our
     society  towards  a  more  just social order and  a  right  use  of
     creation.   This  group would look at strengthening our  ties  to
     existing  educational institutions as well as recommend  ties  to
     additional  institutions.   E.g.,  Should we not  establish  a  full-
     time  chaplaincy  to the 35,000+ students  attending  the  three
     post-secondary institutions in downtown Newark?  All  campus
     ministries  might develop new models more directly to  engage
     the  talents  of students and faculty  towards  addressing  social
     issues in addition to, or maybe instead of, serving as  surrogate
     parishes.

  =====             Louie Crew:  lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu              ====
  =====  CompuServe No. 73517,147.  FAX 201-648-5700  Attn. Conklin #156  ====
  =====      Rutgers/Newark, NJ 07102 201-485-4503 h; 201-648-5434 o      ====
  =====                               or                                  ====
  =====                    Box 30, Newark, NJ 07101                       ====

In article <Nov.2.04.05.42.1990.4526@porthos.rutgers.edu>, lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Louie Crew) writes:
> I am on an Identity Task Force of the Diocese of Newark and have agreed
> to write a draft of the portion of our Identity statement that deals with
> our own mission.

What is this "Identity statement" *for*?  It reads a lot like the manifesto
of a political party.

> This will follow a much longer section in which we
> try to define the Church, and specifically "the Episcopal Church," as we
> understand them.

This really puzzles me.  Why is it your task to define the Church?
What kind of definition do you want?  Isn't "the Episcopal Church"
something like "the community of Christians led by bishops in communion
with the Archbishopric of Canterbury"?  Or "the collection of people
who honestly hold to the 39 articles"?  Or something like that?

> Understanding  our  community as called to love the  world  radically,
> we  define  ourselves not as monument-makers  but  as  tent-dwellers,
> focused on a new Jerusalem, a holy city, in Newark's fair and pleasant
> land.

Is the COMMUNITY called to love the world?  That sounds like a cop-out.
Is the community called to love the WORLD?  I don't think so.
Surely "each and every one of God's slaves is commanded to love his or
her neighbours; people loving people, _this_ saint regarding _that_
beggar as one of the Lord's 'brothers'".

"We define ourselves not as monument-makers but as tent-dwellers"
is all very poetic, but what on earth does it _mean_?  Does it mean
that you move around a lot?  Does it mean that you observe Sukkoth?

> We  on  this Task Force call upon our Diocese steadfastly  to  commit
> ourselves--our  time,  our  talents,  and  our  dollars--to  ministries of
> justice  and compassion, not just towards other Episcopalians and  not
> just  towards other Christians, but toward the full  human  community
> for  whom  Christ  died.

Pay greater attention to your pronouns.  If you on the task force want
_yourselves_ to be committed thus, what is to prevent you?  If you want
the Diocese as an organisation to be committed, say so.  If you want the
members of the Diocese to be committed say that.

What do you mean by "justice" here?  Why only "dollars"?  If I have
some of my money in pounds or Deutchmarks,  is that exempt?

"full human community"?  I'm perturbed by the suggestion that justice
and compassion should be directed at communities rather than people.
Why not say "We on this Task Force call on everyone in this Diocese to
commit his or her own time, talents, and money to practical ministries
of mercy and charity towards all our neighbours, not just our fellow
Christians".

> We take seriously the  bidding  to  let  God's
> countenance  be  seen in our own.

That's inspiring.  Could you give me the reference?

> We worship neither  a  dead  Jesus
> nor  a dead book but the Word Made Flesh.

This is potentially misleading.  I'm sure a Unitarian would agree
whole-heartedly with it.  How about "The Jesus we worship is not
dead, the Book which instructs us is not lifeless, but Jesus the
Expression of God made Human is alive today."

> As did Jesus, we must not only feed the hungry, shelter the homeless,
> clothe the naked, and visit those who are alone, neglected, sick or in
> prison,  but must also vigorously advocate systemic changes.

Um.  Which "systemic changes" did Jesus "virorously advocate"?
I fully agree that the hyperindustrial system is at best seriously
flawed and hospitable to evil, but seeing moral responsibility in
terms of systems acting on systems is one of the characteristic
modes of thought of that very system.

> Why should we in New Jersey and the United States allow so many to be
> homeless and hungry?

I don't know.  Why _do_ you?  Maybe you expect the political system of
New Jersey or the United States to take over your responsibilities?
A visiting minister who recently spoke in the church I go to here said
that if people come to their church and ask for money, the first
question is "have you got a job?" and if the answer is "no", the next
thing they say is "let's go find you one", and they _do_ it.  Perhaps
the answer is that we need free employment agencies operated by Christians.

> How can we reverse patterns of greed and violence in our society?

This is all so incredibly fuzzy.  What counts as YOUR society?  Is there
a high level of greed and violence amongst Episcopalians in Newark?
In that case, the answer is "get the beam out of your own eye first".
If there isn't (and I don't for a moment suppose that there is), in
precisely what sense is the society with the patterns of greed and
violence YOURS?  Isn't the real question something like

"We find ourselves aliens and sojourners in a society based on greed
and full of violence.  What can we do to change it?"

Seen from _that_ perspective, the answer has to be "End it!  Rescue
people out of it until these patterns are unable to sustain themselves."

Remember, hyperindustrial society starts from presuppositions which are
radically opposed to Biblical presuppositions.  You _can't_ change that
society if you leave its presuppositions intact.  It really is vital to
avoid the mistake of thinking of hyperindustrial society as yours, lest
you make the mistake of thinking that it must be preserved.

> Our society says to many young people in Newark:  Either sweep at a
> fast-food  outlet,  or take out a dealership in crack  cocaine.   Genera-
> tion of Vipers!  We call upon our leaders to provide better choices.

Again, why are the Episcopalians in Newark doing this?  And if they
aren't, why do you call it YOUR society?  And HOW DARE YOU take away
the dignity of people who sweep at a fast-food outlet?  (Some of the
people I admire most clean houses.)

Again, it's important to be clear.  When you say "OUR leaders", are
you saying that the Church in Newark should be doing something to find
work for these young people?  If that's so, GREAT!  (Something I would
like to see Christians doing is finding families that are about to buckle
under the strain of debt, paying off their debt, and replacing it by an
interest-free loan.  Why not just pay off the debt?  Two reasons:  for
the benefit of the debtors, and so that the money can be used again for
someone else.  Why interest-free?  Because usury is wrong.)

> How can we unite rich and poor?   We must promote more  dialogue,
> more  sharing,  a  more equitable distribution of  our  own  resources,
> cultural  as  well  as  economic.  It is ridiculous to  dream  of  living  in
> heaven with people whom we avoid on earth.

I'm sorry.  I'm really sorry.  I know what you're getting at here, and I
like the sentiment.  But when you say "promote more dialogue" it's hard
to stop giggling.  What does it _mean_?  "ah, hi.  What's it like being
poor?"  "Oh, you get used to it.  What's it like being rich?"  "It's
worry, worry all the time.  You're better of as you are."

When you say "OUR OWN resources", what do you mean?  Are you asking the
members of the Church in Newark to share their worldly goods with those
poor people they voluntarily choose to help, or are you asking for the
Government to expropriate some people's wealth and give it to others?
(To a certain degree I approve of both.  I firmly believe that a National
Health system is a Good Thing.  They're demonstrably more efficient than
the US system, and the freedom to shop which is required for a market to
be free is absent in emergency health care.  I approve of graduated tax,
and don't mind paying it.)  The point is, it is important to be CLEAR
about what you're asking.

As for the last sentence there, we are called to _love_ people, not _like_
them.  I avoid smokers.  They smell so bad that it physically brings tears
to my eyes.  Does that mean I can't love them?

Beware of cultural imperialism.  When you talk about "a more equitable
distribution of our own resources, cultural as well as economic", if you
mean "let's have more free public libraries, let's have cheap adult
education available for all", great, but it _sounds_ like "the poor haven't
got any worthwhile culture of their own, we'll have to share ours with them."
What _do_ you mean by "cultural resources", anyway?

> As the Diocese of Newark has built schools, hospitals, hospices, AIDS
> ministries,  oases for lesbians and gays, we call upon it to  continue  to
> manifest itself as a radical lover of the world in fresh ways:

It sounds as though the Diocese of Newark is already doing lots of things.
I would like to express some anger, though.  In my own country, asthma
kills a lot more people than AIDS ever has or is ever likely to.  Yet far
more government money goes on treating one of the world's most avoidable
diseases (AIDS) than on something which you _can't_ catch and is a worse
killer (asthma).  I cannot regard this as just.  Where are the asthma
ministries?  Where are the ministries for teaching parents that it's a good
idea to have your baby sleep in your bed, as that not only _greatly_ reduces
deaths from SID but has many desirable social consequences?  (Let's agree to
leave to one side the fact that current research on AIDS vaccines is racist.
The AIDS strain that's killing African heterosexuals hasn't got the protein
fragment that Western researchers are basing their vaccines on.)  What is an
"oasis for lesbians and/or n'nagms?"  People who act out a preference for the
same sex enjoy special status in today's society, _dare_ to mention that the
Bible forbids the activity and you are jumped on and accused of all sorts of
things.  If you help people who want to have sex with people of the same
sex find other people with the same wish, why aren't you providing help for
people who want to steal?  I am often tempted to steal.  Why is there no-one
providing "oases" for people like me?

>      Create a Task Force of Prophecy, charged with monitoring
>      social justice issues within the diocese.

Why call it prophecy?  Why the proliferation of NewSpeak?
If you want a "Social Justice Monitoring Group", be honest about it.
I am seriously perturbed that the recommendation is to set up a group of
people whose task is to talk and to criticise other people, rather than
to devote the people and money involved to actually _doing_ things.

>      The  Task  Force  will
>      coordinate   responses  at  the  parochial,   convocational,   and
>      diocesan  levels.   The Task Force will plan and  coordinate  at
>      least  two major public forums annually to bring  together  citi-
>      zens,  elected  officials,  civil  servants,  economists,  and  other
>      advisors  to  dialogue  about issues of social  justice.

When did the English language acquire a verb "to dialogue"?
What does it mean?  What's wrong with "talk about", "discuss", "debate"?
(Excuse me for a minute while I giggle about the economists.  Have you
_no_ scepticism in your souls?  Accountants who can tell you how much
money there _is_, where it came from, and where it has been going, by
all means include them.  Book-keeping is honest and important work.  But
economists?  Economics is _not_ a predictive science.)

Why are you so concerned to have _other_ people (elected officials &c)
_talking_ about things rather than having _yourselves_ _DOING_ things?
We've _had_ a century or more of people talking about what other people
should do!

>      At  least
>      one  of  these events will be set in the community of  the  poor.

I don't understand this.  Is a "community" a _place_?  Do you mean
"let's have an army of talk-gooders show their faces in a ghetto once
a year"?  Why not do something really practical, like "all of these
events will use office staff, caterers, cleaners, &c &c who are at the
time out of work, so that they may receive money proudly"?

>      The   Task  Force will also develop a human  resources  list  of
>      persons in the diocese willing to witness for Diocesan concerns
>      in various secular forums.

Again, I am very seriously perturbed that your solution seems to be
"let's have the middle class _talk_ about the problems of the poor".
(English again:  why "persons" rather than "people"?  What does saying
"a human resources list" buy you?  Why only think about witnessing in
secular fora?  Why not say "The Monitors will also draw up a list of
local people willing and able to explain Diocesan concerns about social
justice."  At every turn, the language you use betrays the thought-
patterns of hyperindustrial society.)

>      Assign  an officer of the diocese to bring together in one  place
>      for dialogue and mutual building up of the community,  people
>      from  parishes  diverse economically and culturally.

What does this mean?  Do you mean that people will only be accepted
from parish X if parish X is economically and culturally diverse?
That's what it _sounds_ like.  Do you mean that each meeting should
be in one place (but that meetings about parishes Y and Z might take
place in parishes Y and Z, one place each) or that there should be
one place for all such meetings.  What in the name of plain speech
do you mean by "dialogue and mutual building up of the community"?
(If there is one community, what is it mutual with?)  What are these
people supposed to talk about?  How does having a small elite group
talking talking talking help to "mutually build up the community"?
(The Maaori people have a saying "talk is the food of chiefs".)

Why not organise burial clubs?  (Burying the dead _is_ historically
one of the 7 acts of mercy.  It's also a mitzvoh.)  I mean this in
all seriousness:  funerals and burials are very expensive.  Joining
together to reduce this burden is a practical thing to do, and if
rich and poor were to receive the same kind of burial, that would be
one way of demonstrating (if you have anything resembling a
community as formerly understood) that rich and poor are alike to you.

This "Identity statement" has the form of a political manifesto
whose chief concern is to build up a new bureaucracy.  It is painfully
predictable that the effect of doing this will be to spend money on
talking bureaucrats rather than actually accomplishing things.  I beg
you to think about paying some of the poor people you want to help to
find work for other poor people.  I beg you to think about giving loans
to poor people who want to start their own businesses.  I beg you to
think about financing local nurses.  Anything but bureaucrats.

--
The problem about real life is that moving one's knight to QB3
may always be replied to with a lob across the net.  --Alasdair Macintyre.

mib@geech.ai.mit.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (11/09/90)

It's a shame that this paragraph I'm quoting sneaked into an otherwise
very thoughtful and well written article...

In article <Nov.6.03.13.01.1990.2212@athos.rutgers.edu> ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:

   I would like to express some anger, though.  In my own country,
   asthma kills a lot more people than AIDS ever has or is ever likely
   to.  Yet far more government money goes on treating one of the
   world's most avoidable diseases (AIDS) than on something which you
   _can't_ catch and is a worse killer (asthma).

AIDS is an infectious disease.  The epidemiology of infectious
diseases is very different from that of systemic diseases such as
asthma or cancer.  AIDS is avoidable if and only if those who should
avoid it are given accurate information about its avoidance.  Such
information is, of necessity, detailed.  It needs to include,
specifically, what acts are likely to transmit the disease and in what
fashion.  Nothing else will do.

Infectious diseases, once treated, are almost always cured.  Counting
money spent to treat and cure various diseases is not a useful task.
One glance at the titles of articles printed in Scientific American
over the past 5 years will show how much basic research has been done
on immune function, etc., all as a direct cause of AIDS.  Almost all
of this research is applicable to many other areas of medicine.
Arthritis, which serious debilitates even more people than asthma is
usually caused by an autoimmune response, and there are already areas
of research into new approaches to arthritis that have come directly
from AIDS researchers.

The history of infectious disease control shows that early intensive
research is necessary, along with research into transmission methods
for the sake of education.  The US government, apparently because most
AIDS patients were gay, refused to deal with the problem for the first
several years of the epidemic.  Certain writers and leaders in the gay
community, because of a lack of hard research, refused to advocate
safer sex practices for several years.  With research, this would have
never happened.

   I cannot regard this
   as just.  Where are the asthma ministries?  Where are the
   ministries for teaching parents that it's a good idea to have your
   baby sleep in your bed, as that not only _greatly_ reduces deaths
   from SID but has many desirable social consequences?

The benefits of infants sleeping with parents are manifold.  The
number of babies dying from SIDS each year are very few, which has
made research very difficult, and the nature of the problem is such
that the only possibility is investigation after the fact.  Attempts
to find babies "liable" to SIDS, for example those with persistent
sleep apnea problems, have had only moderate success.

   (Let's agree
   to leave to one side the fact that current research on AIDS
   vaccines is racist.  The AIDS strain that's killing African
   heterosexuals hasn't got the protein fragment that Western
   researchers are basing their vaccines on.)

Amazing how you managed to leave it aside while mentioning it.  This
"fact" I've never seen from any other source than this posting.  Do
you have any references?  There is a newer virus, HIV-II, but that is
significantly different from HIV, and is "only" responsible for about
5% of the people with AIDS in Africa.

   What is an "oasis for
   lesbians and/or n'nagms?"

What, pray tell, is a n'nagm?  Is that a typo?

   People who act out a preference for the
   same sex enjoy special status in today's society, _dare_ to mention
   that the Bible forbids the activity and you are jumped on and
   accused of all sorts of things.

Oh dear.  I suspect I'm placing myself in the category of jumping on
you in just that fashion.  There is amazingly little consensus on the
issue.  I'm not willing to continue the discussion here, because it's
been had many times.

   If you help people who want to
   have sex with people of the same sex find other people with the
   same wish, why aren't you providing help for people who want to
   steal?  I am often tempted to steal.  Why is there no-one providing
   "oases" for people like me?

Specifically because it seems that the Task Force for the Diocese
doesn't see anything wrong with same-sex romantic relationships.  I'm
fortunate to be in such a Presbyterian congregation.  I'm willing to
admit that we disagree, but to pretend that the Task Force is being
hypocritical is off base.  They aren't.  They are disagreeing with you
and you are pretending that they secretly agree.

--
    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,

In article <Nov.9.00.16.16.1990.26955@athos.rutgers.edu>,
mib@geech.ai.mit.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) replied to a posting of mine.

What happened here is that I misunderstood the list of ministries
in the Newark Task Force statement to be EXHAUSTIVE.  So when I
saw "AIDS ministries" but no other health support, I asked why
*only* AIDS.  The original poster has assured me by E-mail that
the list of ministries in the draft statement was a list of NEW,
recently added ministries, and that the Newark diocese does a lot
of other kinds of health support.  That completely and
satisfactorily answers my question.

Then Bushnell misread me.  I asked why _only_ AIDS.  He DRASTICALLY
misunderstood me as asking why help AIDS people at all.  That is not
what I wrote and not what I meant.  My question was "why help _only_
people with AIDS" or "why give people with AIDS priority over all
others".  The answer is that the Newark diocese _does_ help people
with other diseases (by supporting hospitals &c) and gave historical
priority to those others, the AIDS ministry is a new one.  With that
cleared up, what the Newark diocese are doing sounds wonderful.

Given that Bushnell so completely misunderstood my question, his
response is aimed about 169 degrees away from me.  I do not advocate
that AIDS research should not be done or that people with AIDS should
not be helped, and never have done.

> Infectious diseases, once treated, are almost always cured.

There is as yet no treatment for AIDS, and there is no prospect of a cure
this century.  It's not clear what inference we are supposed to draw from
that sentence in any case:  gonorrhea has been treatable, even curable,
for some time, but due to human behaviour it was classified by the WHO, at
the time my 10-year-old venereology texts were written, as "out of control".

> Counting
> money spent to treat and cure various diseases is not a useful task.

Of course it is.  There is not an unlimited supply of money.  Money that
is spent on one disease cannot also be spent on another, it cannot be
spent on prevention, it cannot be spent on education, &c &c.  Priorities
have to be set.

> One glance at the titles of articles printed in Scientific American
> over the past 5 years will show how much basic research has been done
> on immune function, etc., all as a direct cause of AIDS.  Almost all
> of this research is applicable to many other areas of medicine.
> Arthritis, which serious debilitates even more people than asthma is
> usually caused by an autoimmune response, and there are already areas
> of research into new approaches to arthritis that have come directly
> from AIDS researchers.

The immune system was one of the hottest areas of medical research before
AIDS was ever heard of.  My immunology texts are as old as my venereology
texts (it is awesome to think that ten-year-old texts didn't mention AIDS)
and they were really gung-ho; aspects of the immune system are also quite
relevant to biotech.  Let's not be naive about this; what has happened to
a large extent is that people who wanted to do immune system research
anyway have leapt at the opportunity offered by the current plague.
The 30-year-old woman I met on the tram a wee while back who is crippled by
arthritis; if the money hadn't been diverted to AIDS research there might
have been something that would help her _now_.
It's worth noting that some AIDS activist groups are now demanding that
research on the virus be curtailed and that attention be focussed on the
opportunistic infections which actually kill people.  They evidently
don't buy Bushnell's argument.

>  The number of babies dying from SIDS each year are very few,

The latest figure I have is that in the UK 1200 babies died in 1985 of
SIDS.  (For comparison, the number of heterosexuals in the UK with AIDS
was 240 in October this year.)  If the rate in the USA were comparable,
we'd be talking about roughly 5,000--6,000 a year.  In this country
(Oz), I believe the rate is higher.  Is it because they are babies that
this counts as "very few", or what?

>    (Let's agree
>    to leave to one side the fact that current research on AIDS
>    vaccines is racist.  The AIDS strain that's killing African
>    heterosexuals hasn't got the protein fragment that Western
>    researchers are basing their vaccines on.)
>
> Amazing how you managed to leave it aside while mentioning it.  This
> "fact" I've never seen from any other source than this posting.  Do
> you have any references?  There is a newer virus, HIV-II, but that is
> significantly different from HIV, and is "only" responsible for about
> 5% of the people with AIDS in Africa.

I think this outcome of AIDS research is worth noting, but it wasn't
directly related to the Newark Task Force, which is why I wanted to
leave it to one side in that context.

The "fact" comes from that notoriously unreliable homophobe rumour mill,
the 5th international conference on AIDS in Africa.  If the "fact" makes
you uncomfortable, keep on ignoring it.  I didn't go to Kinshasa myself,
so the facts may have been muddled in transmission, but the strain is
NDK, it's missing the peptide 'gpgr' in the V3 loop, and in the
laboratory it can infect cells without the CD4 receptor.

>    People who act out a preference for the
>    same sex enjoy special status in today's society, _dare_ to mention
>    that the Bible forbids the activity and you are jumped on and
>    accused of all sorts of things.

> Oh dear.  I suspect I'm placing myself in the category of jumping on
> you in just that fashion.

Just so.

> There is amazingly little consensus on the
> issue.  I'm not willing to continue the discussion here, because it's
> been had many times.

Not since I've been watching soc.religion.christian.  I have never in
my life seen a reasoned argument that explains how we can ignore what
the Bible appears to teach about this matter.  However, I've introduced
in another thread the question "may Richard O'Keefe visit a legal
brothel in Victoria"; it seems to me that the kind of reasoning which
can be used to overturn one set of prohibitions can be used to overturn
the other.  The attitudes to homosexual behaviour that I started with I
got from American science fiction:  "not a problem", "helps fight the
population explosion", "their own business", "let people go to hell their
own way".  The belief I now have is neither native to me, especially
congenial to me, nor expedient.  The _only_ reason I believe as I do is
that approaching the Bible with intellectual integrity in the light of
tradition _forces_ me to that interpretation.  If you know better, then
enlighten me.  If you fear that the issue of male/male copulation is too
"hot" to handle, then let's carry out the analysis in the context of the
specific question "may Richard O'Keefe visit a legal brothel in Victoria".

> Specifically because it seems that the Task Force for the Diocese
> doesn't see anything wrong with same-sex romantic relationships.

Romance?  Either my venereology texts are wrong about typical male/male
contact frequency, or you have a very different notion of "romance" from me.

> I'm willing to
> admit that we disagree, but to pretend that the Task Force is being
> hypocritical is off base.  They aren't.  They are disagreeing with you
> and you are pretending that they secretly agree.

Clean your mouth out, sir!  I pretended nothing.  I will state plainly:

	I do not see how it is possible with intellectual integrity
	to profess obedience to the Bible and explicitly deny what seem
	to be its teachings on sexual matters.  I want an explanation.

Is there a claim there that anyone is hypocritical?  No.  There is a
claim that I do not _understand_.  There is a claim that either they are
deeply mistaken or I am, quite possibly both.  Did I ever make any claim
that they agree with me?  NOWHERE!  Instead of accusing me of pretending
things I did not pretend, how about giving me that explanation?

As I said in the posting where I proposed the question "may Richard
O'Keefe visit a legal brothel in Victoria", there is a question of
sexual ethics which became a major issue in my life this year (no, that's
not it, but it is like enough for the mode of reasoning to be the mode of
reasoning I want to understand).  The question "how is it possible to hold
with intellectual integrity a view about a question of sexual ethics which
is absolutely incompatible with what the Bible *appears* to teach" is not
an abstract issue to me, it is vitally important on a personal level.
Being faithful to my God, as I understood it, has made me rather unhappy
for most of this year.  Intellectual integrity meant that I _had_ to put my
beliefs to the strongest possible challenge.  I sought advice first from
people who identified themselves as liberals.  If they could have convinced
me that I had misunderstood, if they had even given me something resembling
a rational argument which I could have grasped as plausible even if it
didn't convince me, I would have been spared 9 months of grief.  But they
didn't even TRY.  I asked advice from ministers of several denominations in
four countries.  But the invariable rule was that ministers who identified
themselves as liberals refused to give me any kind of explanation and
demanded that I just accept, while everyone who was prepared to explain to
me _why_/_how_ their view was valid held to traditional views.  I have
come to expect statements like Bushnell's
	> I'm not willing to continue the discussion here
from people who don't hold traditional views of sexual ethics; I have
come to expect rational argument (even when I pretend to disagree, which
I have successfully carried off on occasion) from people who do hold the
traditional views.

It would be a very great comfort to me if I could be shown how someone
claiming to get their moral views from the Bible could plausibly come
to a view which appears to be diametrically opposed to what the Bible
seems to teach.  I'd have to eat a lot of crow, but I've been
sufficiently unhappy this year due to my inability to do what I saw as
a betrayal of my God that I am *eager* to eat that crow *if* I can do
so with integrity.  Every time someone refuses to explain to me, that
just reinforces my suspicion that they haven't _got_ a rational
explanation, but hold their views because it is expedient to do so.

"Always be prepared to give an explanation for the hope that is in you";
if there is someone out there who thinks they know how come what appears
to be Biblical teaching about sexual ethics (concentrate on the specific
case of "may Richard O'Keefe visit a legal brothel"; no point in
inviting people to jump on you without reading carefully what you write)
can be safely disregarded, I *BEG* you to enlighten me.  It matters.  I
_want_ to be convinced.

--
I am not now and never have been a member of Mensa.		-- Ariadne.

[I don't know when you started reading, but homosexuality is a subject
that typically comes up about once a year.  I can well understand that
some might not want to renew it.  Since you ask how one can possibly
believe that the Bible allows homosexual behavior, I will try to
summarize the arguments we have heard in the past.  First, at least in
discussions here there is no question that it is prohibited by the Law
and that Paul opposed it.  Some classic passages cited on the subject
are not relevant.  E.g. in the Sodom story, what is involved in
homosexual rape, which no one is proposing should be regarded as
acceptable.  Also, in some of Paul's lists of sins, there are words
whose meaning is unclear that may or may not imply homosexual
activities.  However there are explicit OT prohibitions, and Rom
1:26ff makes Paul's attitude clear enough.  So careful analysis will
reduce the number of passages that should be cited on the subject, but
does not change their import.  Generally the argument is that (1) the
OT Law is not binding on Christians; (2) Paul's beliefs and advice are
not to be taken as a new Law; and (3) The sorts of homosexual
relationships that typically occured in the 1st Cent. are not those
being advocated by homosexual Christians.  (They were often associated
with pagan worship, and they often involved exploitation of slaves and
children.)

There is clearly a difference in attitude towards use of the Bible.
Conservative Christians -- and I believe in this case we are talking
about the great majority -- believe that we can look to the Bible for
specific rules.  Usually this means that (1) portions of the OT Law is
taken to be moral rather than ceremonial, and still applies to us.
(2) What Paul wrote to his congregations can be applied directly to
the 20th Cent. unless there is very clear evidence that it was
intended only for a specific circumstance.  Liberal Christians
interpret Paul as saying that the Law has been abolished for
Christians, and that Paul's writings ought to be used to create a new
Law, since they are often limited by the cultural context and his
beliefs.

This is a very basic difference in approach, so basic that the two
parties generally are almost incapable of communicating usefully.  It
is obvious to our conservative readers that homosexual Christians are
ignoring the clear voice of Scripture.  It is obvious to our liberal
readers that conservative Christians are ignoring the basic message of
both Christ and Paul, and are turning words that were intended to free
us from the Law into a new Law.  I am slowly beginning to despair of
these discussions.

It would also be nice if sometime people would be satisfied with a
summary of this sort.  However past evidence shows that there are lots
of people who are unable to resist responding to an argument they
disagree with, even though all sides already know the response.

--clh]