[soc.religion.christian] Frames of Life

daf@uunet.uu.net (Doug Flesner) (11/23/90)

  I thank God for His mercy and the grace He has bestowed upon me in my life.
It is my life, or maybe life in general, that I wish to share with you, as I
see it.  In looking back at my own life, from childhood up till now, I see it
as a giant roll of movie film.  This roll of film is made up of many events, or
frames.  Out of all the frames in my life, I have narrowed them down to just
seven and it's these seven I would like to share.

  As I look at the first frame I see a baby crawling along a seashore that
stretches as far as the eye can see.  The sea also seems endless, and I notice
that the color of it is black not blue, and it smells.  The name of this sea is
Sin.  Floating in it are pride, lust, drunkenness, murder, theft, audultery,
greed, hatred, selfishness, fornication, idolatry, bitterness, and debt, just
to name a few.  There are other bits of debre floating around, but I do not
recognize them all.  The black waves lap at the shore but they do not come near
the baby.  He stops once in a while, he hears the sea but does not know or
understand.  He crawls on in black sand unaware of the smell.

  In the second frame I see a young boy standing.  He's moved closer to the
waters edge but he fears the sea and its black vastness. He raises his hand to
his nose and mouth, he has noticed the smell, yet he looks on and wonders.

  In the third frame I see a youth in his teens and he is wading in the sea.
He is not as fearful as before.  He is still close to shore.  He knows not to
get in too deep.  It's strange but the sea isn't as black as he thought, and
the debre doesn't seem to be as thick as it once was.  He has gotten used to
the smell.  The water feels cool and the waves feel good lapping at his ankles.

  In the fourth frame I see a young man, in his twenties or thirties, out play-
ing in the sea.  He  says he has learned to swim, and is splashing, and frol-
licking all around. "There's nothing wrong with the sea," he says, "It's fun!
The debre has gone away, and where did I get the idea that this sea was black?
And who called it sin?  I will rename it LIFE!  There are others out here too,
having fun, and enjoying themselves as I am!  I can still see the shore, it's
not far.  If I get tired I'll swim back, or some of my new friends will help me
get back!"

  In the fifth frame I see a man still splashing, but no longer in fun!  He is
struggling and is getting tired.  He flaps his arms, and kicks his feet, and
tries to swim, but he is not sure in what direction, because the shoreline has
disappeared!  He calls to his friends, but they are not there.  He weakens, and
goes under, but he fights his way back!  He can't hold on!  His mind races and
he wonders, "How could it come to this?  What am I doing clear out here?"  The
sea is still black, and for the first time he tastes it, and gags. The debre is
still there also, and it smashes against his head and body, wounding him. The
stench has become over powering.  It truly is sin!  Not life as he had thought.
He renames it DEATH!  He is without hope and realizes that he is lost.  He says
to himself, "Oh, to be as I once was, a child upon the shore!  But how, and who
can save me, I am so far out?"  Then he remembers, and regrets, and is sorry.
He then looks toward heaven, and stretches his hand to God and with what could
be his last breath, he cries, "Lord, please forgive me, I am drowning in sin,
please help me!"

  In the sixth frame I see a man back upon the shore.  He is somehow different.
He is a man but he is like a child, and he is not alone, someone else is with
him.  As I look closer I know that it is Jesus who has joined him. He is the
reason that the man is so different!  Jesus has removed the filth and the
stench of the sea from him!  Jesus has healed the wounds caused by the debre
pounding against him!  Jesus has cleaned him up and saved him from sin and
death!  Together they start walking, the man holding tightly on to Jesus.

  I am, by the grace of the Lord, living in the seventh frame.  I am still
holding on tightly to Jesus as we walk.  I have to, because the sea is yet
black, it still smells as bad as it ever did, and the debre is still afloat.
The waves are always lapping at the shore, trying to lure me back in. But the
Lord is between me and the sea.  He heard my cry and He answered my prayer.
I am back on shore, I am a child, not as before, this time I am a child of God!

Thank you for allowing me to share this with you.

--
Doug Flesner................... | ...There is pleasure in sin for a season...
Glenayre Elec........Quincy, Il | ......and there are lovers of pleasure.....

garyh@crash.cts.com (Gary Hipp) (11/26/90)

In article <Nov.23.02.14.39.1990.20177@athos.rutgers.edu> quintro!daf@uunet.uu.net (Doug Flesner) writes:

>  I am, by the grace of the Lord, living in the seventh frame.  I am still
>holding on tightly to Jesus as we walk.  I have to, because the sea is yet
>black, it still smells as bad as it ever did, and the debre is still afloat.
>The waves are always lapping at the shore, trying to lure me back in. But the
>Lord is between me and the sea.  He heard my cry and He answered my prayer.
>I am back on shore, I am a child, not as before, this time I am a child of God!

Is it possible that the following frames will read like this?

As I looked around me, I all of a sudden noticed there were others.
There were myriads of poor human beings plunging and floating,
shouting and shrieking, cursing and struggling and drowning; and as
they cursed and screamed, they rose and shrieked again, and then some
sank to rise no more.

But, I saw with delight a number of other poor, struggling,
drowning wretches continually climbing out of the angry ocean.  And I
saw a few of those who were already safe helping the poor creatures
still in the angry waters to reach the shore of safety.

On looking more closely, I found a number of those who had been rescued,
industrioulsy working and scheming with ropes, boats, and other means
more effective, to deliver the poor strugglers out of this sea.  There
were some who actually jumped back into the water, regardless of all
consequences, in their passion to rescue the perishing.

As I looked on, I saw that the occupants on shore were quite a mixed
company.  That is, they were divided into different "sets" or
classes, and they occupied themselves with different pleasures and
employments.  But only a very few of them seemed to make it their
business to get the people out of the sea.

What really amazed me most was the fact that though all of them had
been rescued at one time or another from the ocean, nearly everyone
seemed to have forgotten all about it.  Anyway, it seemed the memory
of its darkness and danger no longer troubled them at all.  They
didn't seem to care about the poor perishing ones wo were struggling
and drowning right before their very eyes...many of whom were their
brothers and sisters, and even their own children.

Now this astonishing unconcern could not have been the result of
ignorance or lack of knowledge, because they lived right there in full
sight of it all and even talked about it sometimes.  Many even went to
hear lectures and sermons in which the awful state of these poor
drowning creatures was described.

Many of those on shore spent their time in amusing themselves with
growing flowers on the side of the rocks, engaging in business and
trading, painting, or in dressing themselves up in different styles
and walking about to be admired.  Some occupied themselves chiefly in
eating and drinking, others were taken up with arguing about the poor
drowning creatures that had alrady been rescued.

But what was most amazing was those on shore whom He called, who heard
his voice and thought they ought to obey it - or at least they said
they did - those who said they loved Him much-who worshipped Him or
professed to do so - were so taken up with their trades and
professions, their families and circles, their religions and arguments
about it, that they did not listen to the cry that came to them from
this Wonderful Being who had Himself gone down into the sea.  Anyway,
if they heard it they did not head it.  They did not care.  And so the
multitude went on shrieking and struggling and drowning in the
darkness.

Then I saw some of these people on shore whom this Wonderful Being had
called to, wanting them to come and help Him in His difficult task of
saving the drowning creatures, were always praying and crying out to
Him TO COME TO THEM!

Some wanted Him to come and stay with them, and spend His time and
strength in making them happier.  Others wanted Him to come and take
away various doubts and misgivings they had concerning the truth of
some letters which He had written them.  Some wanted Him to come and
make them feel more secure on shore- so secure that they would be
quite sure that they should never go into the ocean again.

So these people used to meet and get up as high on the rock as they
could, and looking inland (where they though the Great Being was) they
would cry out, "Come to us!  Come, help us!"  And all the while He was
down (by His Spirit) among the poor, drowning, struggling creatues in
the angry deep, with His arms around them looking up in vain to those
on the rock.  Crying to them with a hoarse voice, "Come to ME!  Come
and help ME!"
-----
All of us as Christians can see ourselves in this allegory and my
intent is certainly not to take away from your joy, we all need times
of rest with our Lord.  Next time as you are walking along the shore,
take another look out into the dark ocean.  Listen.  What are you
going to do?

Gary Hipp
The above allegory was adapted from "Who Cares" an article in Last
Days Magazine, Last Days Ministries, Box 40, Lindale, TX 75771.  It
was originally by William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army.