[soc.religion.christian] Documentary Hypothesis and the Homeric Question

mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) (11/23/90)

The main point of this note is an explanation of why the "Homeric question"
is NOT a good analogy for those who reject the Documentary Hypothesis.  I
have also a few comments on specific statements by Mr. O'Keefe; in effect,
it seems to me that he is "refuting" a caricature of the argument, while
coming very close to accepting its basic contentions.

Unfortunately, I have not ever found a good modern presentation of the data.
No _Einleitung_ I have looked at really addresses the issue in terms of an
empirical investigation -- most simply start from an acceptance of the basic
DH outline, with some indications of problems or limits of its application.
The commentaries (Speiser, Westermann, ...) address general issues without
really trying to *demonstrate* anything.  Or, as I will illustrate below,
they give useful "test" cases without ever presenting the full data -- and
thereby they leave one uncertain as to how convincing the hypothesis is in
general.

My problem on this is that I have essentially no Hebrew, so I can't really
gather my own data in any useful way.  As in Dave Davis' request, I also
would be *very* interested in a good modern treatment (the moderator mentions
Noth; there is also von Rad, but these are propaganda for the most extreme
form of documentary dissolution of the texts -- provocative reading if you
are inclined *towards* the DH, as they will confront you with the question
of just how far the methodology can be taken.)

Anyway, Ricard O'Keefe writes:

> There are several levels at which one may consider a documentary hypothesis:
>
> H1) The Pentateuch is based in part on earlier documents.
>
>     As far as I am aware, tradition has never claimed anything else.
>     _This_ much is virtually certain.

"Tradition" both Jewish and Christian is that Moses wrote the Books of Moses,
with at least a bias towards the notion that Moses got his "data" direct from
God, not by library search.

> H2) Much of the text which was incorporated from earlier documents
>     was not significantly altered.
>
>     In one sense, this is likely.  Based on analogy with the NT and
>     Kings/Chronicles, one would expect a story like Noah's ark to be
>     copied INTACT and more or less verbatim.  So what we'd expect is
>     a collection of stories due to earlier sources joined together
>     by "scaffolding" provided by the redactor.

This is the statement in which Mr. O'Keefe seems to me to accept the
fundamental framework of the DH.  Setting aside the NT (where the textual
relations of gospels to each other is its own kind of complex issue), the
relation of Chronicles to Kings, and of Kings to the sources it cites, is
not a bad starting point.  Kings itself provides evidence of (a) a party
within Israel that centralized worship in Jerusalem both as against non-
Yahwistic and other Yahwistic parties and (b) "discovery" of Deuteronomy
at a critical point in this process.  Stylistic similarities of Deuteronomy
itself with Jeremiah are said to be marked (here is where my lack of Hebrew
leaves me completely dependent on others' commentary.)

The question then becomes, *how well* can we separate out stylistic
differences in the Pentateuch, and do these stylistic differences correlate
with theological differences -- and furthermore can such differences be
coherently ascribed to different "parties" (either contemporaneous or over
time) with different interests and different "constituencies" and with a
reasonable "need" to have produced a documentary tradition.  The extremes
of German exposition (as in Noth) are associated with some particular ideas
about "religion history" among the early Israelites; doubts about that
history will obviously weaken the force of arguments that depend on it.

One may, of course, be skeptical that we know *anything* about the history
of Israel sufficently well to "excavate" the literary strata of the texts
-- but in THAT case, the conclusion must surely be to reject "traditional"
readings even more forcefully than one doubts the DH!  Those who reject
the DH because they find it implausible had better face the fact that an
historian finds the *traditional* account utterly ludicrous.  If you take
the position that the text must be PLAUSIBLY explained, you had better be
prepared to offer up a MORE plausible explanation than Wellhausen's before
rejecting his.

> 						  On the face of it,
>     that's exactly what we have in Genesis:  the scaffolding being
>     the genealogies, with "the generations of X" serving as "chapter
>     headings".

This illustrates that Mr. O'Keefe is in fact unfamiliar with the details
of the DH.  Systematic use of genealogies is characteristic of the Priestly
source (on the DH account, of course :-)), not of the Redactor.  There are
few genealogical verses NOT in the Priestly material in Genesis, and they
provide a fairly good "empirical test" of the hypothesis.  What I mean by
that is that traditional textual "difficulties" in the early chapters of
Genesis (up to Abraham) gain reasonable explanations *on the basis of the
stylistic division into JEPD* -- look at the first volume of Westermann's
Genesis commentary to see what I mean (vol. I of Westermann, p.345ff in my
edition, which is the Augsburg 1984 translation, ISBN 0-8066-1962-7).

	[ Incidentally, Speiser and Westermann (and even von Rad :-)) are
	  good for this kind of "spot checking" the DH; the trouble is that
	  they do not really present a systematic listing of criteria by
	  which one could go over the texts and apportion verses to J, E, P,
	  D or _incerti_ ]

>     But that's _not_ the kind of copying which the Higher Critics
>     have professed to detect.  They claim to be able to detect
>     multiple sources _within_ single stories.  For example, the
>     basis of the original method was the claim that one (set of)
>     source(s) used YHWH for God and another (set of) source(s)
>     used ELHM, hence "J" and "E".  But in the story of Noah,
>     *both* names are used, hence the story of Noah is distributed
>     amongst at least two different sources, with the Redactor
>     apparently cutting and pasting and weaving together two or
>     more sources.

This is unfair.  The Deluge story is just about the ONLY one in which there
is such an (apparent) weaving together.  It is far more common that there
are *duplicate* stories -- as in the duplication of the giving of the Ten
Commandments; the Redactor is seen as providing (sometimes!) a context in
which the duplication may acquire some theological differentiation.  Take
the first two chapters of Genesis -- these are very different creation myths,
and the most literalistic (Creationist) interpreters will insist that chapter
2 deals specifically with Eden, while chapter 1 does not. I do not take the
Creationist readings very seriously, but they illustrate that ANYONE who
tries to deal with the text will find "divisions" in it.  All that the DH
requires is that we find some coherent _sitz im Leben_ for the divisions,
where I specifically mean "coherent" within the framework of historical
explanation.

>     This really seem rather implausible.  We *KNOW* what happened
>     when ancient authors produced an edition of the material in (say)
>     Genesis, because several of the results survive.  Specifically, I
>     refer you to "The Antiquities of the Jews" by Flavious Josephus

I'd like to point out that ancient Greek "quotation" conventions are not
the same as ours.  It was *assumed* that a literate audience would notice
the parallels with earlier literature *that was deliberately NOT quoted
literally* -- look at Plutarch's essays for examples.  Many of our "known"
fragments of ancient philosophers (poets are a somewhat different case)
are actually paraphrases, and it is hard to know whether we have original
words or not.  Josephus, incidentally, is working *within* this standard
convention of Hellenistic literature.  It is notable that Eusebius, a few
centuries later, does NOT employ that convention -- and one can usually
extract "exact" quotations from Eusebius, where the same is impossible in
Josephus.  Conventions change; the issue with regard to the Pentateuch is
whether we can *from the text itself* identify any such conventions; strong
forms of the DH assume that we can.  Weaker forms can get by with less.

>     Basically, Wellhausen's approach requires that the redactor of
>     the Pentateuch was willing to chop up his originals into
>     separate phrases and interweave phrases from separate traditions
>     (it is quite common to find half-verses attributed to different
>     sources) yet was fanatically literal about the *words* in the
>     scraps he was so carefree about chopping up and re-arranging.

As I said, that is only very rarely the case -- and it is as surprising
to the DH people as to their critics.  What is odd about the Flood story
is that it (a) DOES separate into two very different tales, with major
stylistic differences and (b) nonetheless "weaves" together so well --
it is a major accomplishment for whoever managed to put it together!
One may guess that the impetus here is that a single universal flood
that is then promised not to happen again can hardly be given in two
independent accounts! (but that doesn't explain why Creation *can* be
so presented. :-))

> H3) The methods developed by Wellhausen's school and refined by later
>     scholars are able to recover these documentary units.
>
>     It is no longer fashionable to believe this about Homer.  I don't
>     see why anyone would believe it about the Pentateuch.  Consider

Here is where I claim some expertise.  The cases are *not* parallel,
though they seemed to be so to mid-19th century critics (and so, those
moderns like Cassuto who know the sequel in the Homeric case try to use
that against the DH -- I regard such a move as intellectually dishonest,
at least for those who really know what Milman Parry did.)

The history  of this is complex.  Fundamentally, it was recognized that
in Homer, as in the Pentateuch, there were traces of SEVERAL different
communities -- Homer has some Aeolic dialect forms, some Ionic ones, and
a few that don't fit very well into any of the classic dialects (some may
in fact go back to Mycenaean Greek.)  In the OT case, the *language*
differences correlate with theological (and *possibly* also with cultural)
differences that may point to different sources for the strata so noted.

Some scholars who worked on both classical and religious texts *thought*
to "dissect" Homer into contributions from different communities.  There
are even a couple of hints from ancient sources that this might be reason-
able (charges by Aegina that Athens had "done it wrong" in the recension
of Homer undertaken in Pesistratid times, for example.)  But what emerged
from such "studies" beyond associating heroes with their cities was very
meagre -- unlike the theological differences between Deuteronomy and Levi-
ticus, for example, there is NOTHING in Homer to indicate conceptual or
political differences.  Mostly, there is just this bizarre distribution
of dialect forms that guarantee that no significant stretch of Homer can
possibly have been spoken as idiomatic colloquial language by ANY Greek.

What Milman Parry *demonstrated* was that if you *tabulate* Homer's famous
epithets (the phrases of a word or so associated with the various heroes)
against their positions in the hexameter line -- and this is something that
the ancient scholars *could* have done, but didn't -- you find a wonderful
economy: there tends to be *exactly* one way of "padding" the line to have
the hero's name come out in the position it actually occupies.  And there
is roughly one possible epithet for every possible position of the name.
This is -- at one stroke -- a perfect explanation for the mixture of the
dialect forms (why get rid of a perfectly usable formula?) and the total
lack of correlation of these with any "literary" point. (Some subsequent
work indeed tries to find a subsidiary *use* of the formulas that can be
taken as poetically sensitive -- that is, at most, a secondary level of
composition, and I am not disputing its possibility, any more than I am
disputing the intelligence and theological subtlety of the Redactor of
the Pentateuch.)

There is, perhaps unfortunately, NO WAY a similar study can apply to the
OT -- it simply isn't (for the most part) in verse (and even in verse, the
Hebrew forms are not anywhere NEAR as constraining as Homeric hexameters).
The modernly accepted "unity" of Homer is nothing but the recognition that
there is an ECONOMY of word choice there, where earlier generations had
thought to see arbitrary usage of different dialects.  In any case, the
distribution of stylistic forms in the Hebrew *is* signficiant of meaning,
in a way that Homeric epithets demonstrably are NOT -- in the sections that
are ascribed (on *stylistic* grounds, mind you) to Jahwist and Elohist, one
finds for example that the Jahwist has a negative attitude towards the
Aaronic priesthood while the Elohist is positive.  Such *major* theological
differences DEMAND an explanation (a schizophrenic redactor?) that is in
fact supplied by the Documentary Hypothesis and NOT by any other (that I
know of :-)).

It's all very well to criticize Noth for his excesses; what the critics of
the "generic" DH need to do is to deal in some sensible way with the data
correlating style and theology that the DH claims to explain.  If you have
no explanation (or only the kinds of ad hoc stuff that the rabbis give,
which is certainly pious, but tends to obscure rather than clarifying the
data), then a DH "adherent" like me can only ask, "what do you suggest in
place of this, which I find historically plausible?"
--
Michael L. Siemon		"O stand, stand at the window,
m.siemon@ATT.COM		    As the tears scald and start;

In article <Nov.23.01.16.28.1990.19881@athos.rutgers.edu>,
mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) writes:
> Unfortunately, I have not ever found a good modern presentation of the data.
> No _Einleitung_ I have looked at really addresses the issue in terms of an
> empirical investigation -- most simply start from an acceptance of the basic
> DH outline, with some indications of problems or limits of its application.

Surely this is a powerful argument for the point of view I put forward:
obviously the Torah has _some_ sources, but we should maintain an attitude
of honest scepticism towards the claim that "the" Documentary Hypothesis
is able to recover them.

I wrote
> H2) Much of the text which was incorporated from earlier documents
>     was not significantly altered.
>
>     In one sense, this is likely.  Based on analogy with the NT and
>     Kings/Chronicles, one would expect a story like Noah's ark to be
>     copied INTACT and more or less verbatim.  So what we'd expect is
>     a collection of stories due to earlier sources joined together
>     by "scaffolding" provided by the redactor.

To which Siemon replied

> This is the statement in which Mr. O'Keefe seems to me to accept the
> fundamental framework of the DH.

English lesson:
    the rule for abbreviations is that an abbreviation ends with an
    abbreviation point if and only if the last letter of the abbreviation
    differs from the last letter of the word abbreviated.  Hence "St"
    (street) "Ave" (avenue) "Rd" (road) have no abbreviation point, but
    "Dr." (drive) does.  "Mr" being an abbreviation for "Mister", it
    takes no abbreviation point.
    What's more, in the context of a debate like this one, it is more
    respectful to refer to someone by their name without honorific
    (as in "O'Keefe") than with the lowest available "Mr O'Keefe".

What I outlined in that paragraph is NOT "the fundamental framework of
the DH".  The fundamental framework of the DH is its hidden agenda:  so
to divide up the Torah as to sustain an argument that it was collated
_late_.  You can believe in documentary sources, you can even investigate
methods than _might_ recover them, and still believe in an early redaction.

> The question then becomes, *how well* can we separate out stylistic
> differences in the Pentateuch, and do these stylistic differences correlate
> with theological differences -- and furthermore can such differences be
> coherently ascribed to different "parties" (either contemporaneous or over
> time) with different interests and different "constituencies" and with a
> reasonable "need" to have produced a documentary tradition.

The problem here is that the argument goes in a circle:  we have very
little evidence of the "parties"'s existence, interests, or consitutencies
other than the partitions imposed on the text.  We do have a fair bit of
"intertestamental" stuff, but on any account that's too late to be
relevant.

> One may, of course, be skeptical that we know *anything* about the history
> of Israel sufficently well to "excavate" the literary strata of the texts
> -- but in THAT case, the conclusion must surely be to reject "traditional"
> readings even more forcefully than one doubts the DH!

I would like to see this "proof by intimidation" turned into something
approaching a reasoned argument.  We do have knowledge about the history
of Israel, obtained principally from the Tanach, but also from archaeology.
Is that *enough* to overthrow traditional interpretations and accept
the presuppositions of the DH?  Apply the test to modern history and
literature.  C.S.Lewis pointed out that critics of his own time, place,
and culture thought that Roger Llewellyn(?)'s Land of the Lord High
Tiger was modelled on Lewis's Narnia, whereas the actual chronology went
the other way.  He also pointed out that critics of his own time, place,
and culture thought that the Ring in Tolkien's great story was an image
of the Bomb, where once again the actual chronology and the author's
explicit statement are against it.  I have a little paper (270 lines of
LaTeX which I'll be glad to post if there is any interest) called
"NT Criticism meets Jack the Ripper" which looks at a case where an
analysis of 2 versions of a 19th century document in terms of "interest"
goes dead wrong.

Note too that "the DH" and "traditional readings" are not the same
kind of entity.  The traditional analogue of "the DH" would be a claim
something like "the texts are to be taken at face value where possible".

> Those who reject
> the DH because they find it implausible had better face the fact that an
> historian finds the *traditional* account utterly ludicrous.

Which historian, and what precisely do you think the "traditional account"
is that is ridiculous?  And for heaven's sake, where did you get the idea
that the great-big-axe-to-grind DH and whatever you think the traditional
account is are the ONLY alternatives?  What *I* am arguing for is
*scepticism*:
	it is clearly the case that the Torah has sources
	-- for example, if there was such a person as Moses with anything
	-- resembling the life-history given in Exodus, then he had had
	-- the opportunity to become acquainted with Egyptian and
	-- Babylonian, even with Hittite, legal codes.  They would count
	-- as sources.
	the methods which have been proposed to recover the sources
	are not _known_ to work on *any* documents

> > 						  On the face of it,
> >     that's exactly what we have in Genesis:  the scaffolding being
> >     the genealogies, with "the generations of X" serving as "chapter
> >     headings".
>
> This illustrates that Mr. O'Keefe is in fact unfamiliar with the details
> of the DH.  Systematic use of genealogies is characteristic of the Priestly
> source (on the DH account, of course :-)), not of the Redactor.

This illustrates that Siemon wasn't paying attention to what I wrote.
I knew perfectly well that the genealogies are *assumed* to be characteristic
of P.  But I wrote about their present FUNCTION.  The FUNCTION of the
genealogies in the present text of Genesis is that they are the scaffolding
on which the stories hang.

> 	[ Incidentally, Speiser and Westermann (and even von Rad :-)) are
> 	  good for this kind of "spot checking" the DH; the trouble is that
> 	  they do not really present a systematic listing of criteria by
> 	  which one could go over the texts and apportion verses to J, E, P,
> 	  D or _incerti_ ]

Surely this is a very serious objection.

> This is unfair.  The Deluge story is just about the ONLY one in which there
> is such an (apparent) weaving together. ...

> >     Basically, Wellhausen's approach requires that the redactor of
> >     the Pentateuch was willing to chop up his originals into
> >     separate phrases and interweave phrases from separate traditions
> >     (it is quite common to find half-verses attributed to different
> >     sources) yet was fanatically literal about the *words* in the
> >     scraps he was so carefree about chopping up and re-arranging.

> As I said, that is only very rarely the case -- and it is as surprising
> to the DH people as to their critics.

Another article, apparently from Creed Jones says of the DH

    "An introduction to the Pentateuch in the 1976 Oxford
     Study Edition of the New English Bible, however, accepts it as
     orthodoxy:

          "It was perhaps during the reign of Solomon
          (tenth century B.C.) that many of the local
          cultic recitations, histories, songs, and law
          codes were first gathered and edited into a
          sustained account (the earliest skeleton un-
          derlying Gen.-1 Kings ch. 2).  Its purpose
          was to suggest that the Israelite Kingdom was
          the fulfillment of the ancient promises to
          the patriarchs.  Modern scholars call this
          work "J," because it uses for the deity the
          name Jehovah (Heb. Yahweh), and was produced
          by Judean theologians; they believe that it
          was soon supplemented by other ancient tradi-
          tions preserved in Ephraim, and called "E"
          because the divine term Elohim is used.
"".

Remember, this is the methodological foundation of the JEPD division,
the idea that "J" uses YHWH and that "E" uses ELHM.

Let's just consider Genesis, in order to keep things simple.
What kind of book is it?
    -- it is a Near Eastern
    -- religious story
    -- containing an account of creation
    -- written in a Semitic language
    -- and evidently having a long history behind it.

In order to evaluate the idea that differing divine names might expose
differing sources, let's look at another
    -- Near Eastern
    -- religious story
    -- containing an account of creation
    -- written in a Semitic language
    -- and evidently having a long history behind it
and while we're at it, let's make it one that has actually been suggested
as one of the possible sources for Genesis 1:1--2:3.  Does that sound fair?

I refer, of course, to Enuma Elish.  Enuma Elish and Genesis 1:1--2:3 aren't
exactly the same kind of text:  Enuma Elish is poetry, while Genesis 1 is
*very* tightly crafted prose, and Enuma Elish isn't primarily a creation
story.  But there is a very remarkable fact:  where Enuma Elish and Genesis 1
intersect, they have the points of intersection in the same order (Table
from Heidel:)
	Enuma Elish				Genesis
Divine spirit and cosmic matter are	Divine spirit creates cosmic matter
coexistent and coeternal		and exists independently of it
Primaeval chaos; Ti'amat enveloped	The earth a desolate waste, with
in darkness				darkness covering the deep (tehom)
Light emanating from the gods		Light created
The creation of the firmament		The creation of the firmament
The creation of dry land		The creation of dry land
The creation of the luminaries		The creation of the luminaries
The creation of man (with the		The creation of man (with the
blood of the gods + clay)		breath of G-d + clay)
The gods rest and celebrate		G-d rests and sanctifies the 7th day

So there is point 1:  if _anything_ is a fair comparison to Genesis,
Enuma Elish is.

Point 2 is that religious language is conservative.  I was stunned the
other day to discover on the foundation stone of a nearby Catholic church
the inscription "Deo optimo + et maximo".  Indeed, G-d _is_ "best and
greatest", but whenever I have seen that phrase in the past it was as an
epithet of Jupiter.  "Deus optimus maximus" has survived 2,500 years or
so and a change of religion!  Existing copies of Enuma Elish go back as
far as 1000BC, although it is thought to go back much further.  All you
have to concede for my argument to go through is that Hebrew religious
literature and Babylonian religious literature drew on a common cultural
stock and used similar literary devices.  This is manifestly the case
with poetry:  parallelism pervades Enuma Elish and there are known
resemblances between some of the Psalms and texts from Ras Shamra.

What is the particular stylistic point?  This:  several of the deities
in Enuma Elish have more than one name (the climax of the story is when
the Annunaki in assembly give Marduk his 50 names) and that within a
single thought it is not uncommon for a deity to be referred to by two
different names.

Example.  A passage which is repeated several times:
	They separated themselves and went over to the side of Ti'amat;
	They were angry, they plotted, not resting day or night;
	They took up the fight, fuming and raging;
	They held a meeting and planned the conflict.
	Mother Hubur, who fasions all things,
	Added irresistible weapons, bearing monster serpents,
Mother Hubur and Ti'amat are one and the same.
Example:
	They were glad and did homage, "Marduk is king!"
	They bestowed upon him the scepter, the throne, and the royal robe;
	They gave him an irresistible weapon smiting the enemy,
	"Go and cut off the life of Ti'amat".
	May the winds carry her blood to out-of-the-way places".
	After the gods his fathers had determined the destiny of Bel
	They set him on the road, the way to success and attainment.
Marduk and Bel are one and the same.  He is also called "the lord".
Example:
	After Ea, the wise, had created mankind;
	He imposed the services of the gods (upon them) and set the gods free;
	That work was not suitable to (human) understanding;
	In accordance with the ingenious plans of Marduk did
	    Nudimmud create --
Ea and Nudimmud are one and the same.

It's not just in Enuma Elish that this happens.

What is my argument here?  This:  that the use of more than one name for
the same deity within a single passage is *known* to have been a feature
of ancient Near Eastern religious literature, so that it would be rather
surprising if the sources available to the redactor of Genesis were so
very different in literary style as to use one name exclusively.  We can
therefore place no reliance at all on the use of divine names as a guide
to *immediate* sources.

I stressed immediate there because the multiple names of the Babylonian
gods have a history behind them; Enuma Elish itself presumably had sources.
But the DH assumes that the sources of Genesis were if anything _later_
than Enuma Elish.

Let's look at a few more examples.  Siemon is vehement that "The Deluge
story is just about the ONLY one in which there is such an (apparent)
weaving together".  Recall that I had pointed out that that story uses
more than one divine name.  Well, there are others.

You don't need to read Hebrew to find them.  All you need is a good modern
translation.  The NIV, for example, makes plain that
	"LORD" = YHWH
	"Lord" = Adonai
	"Sovereign Lord" = Adonai YHWH
	"G-d" = Elohim
and so on.

Look at Genesis 3:1.
	Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals
	the <LORD G-d> had made.  He said to the woman, "Did <G-d>
	really say, 'You must not eat from any tree of the garden'?"
Genesis 3 as a whole uses <LORD G-d> with <G-d> in reported speech.
Look at Genesis 5:25--26
	Adam lay with his wife again, and she gave birth to a son
	and named him Seth, saying "<G-d> has granted me another
	child in place of Abel, since Cain killed him"  Seth also
	had a son, and he named him Enosh.  At that time men began
	to call on the name of the <LORD>.
At Genesis 15:7--8
	He also said to him, "I am the <LORD> who brought you out
	of Ur of the Chaleans to give you this land to take
	possession of it".  But Abram said, "O <Sovereign LORD>,
	how can I know that I will gain possession of it?"
At Genesis 16:13
	[Hagar] gave this name to the <LORD> who spoke to her:
	"You are the <G-d> who sees me (El-roi)"...
At Genesis 19:27--29
	Early the next morning Abraham got up and returned to the
	place where he had stood before the <LORD>.  ...
	So when <G-d> destroyed the cities of the plain, he
	remembered Abraham ...
At Genesis 20:17--18
	The Abraham prayed to <G-d> and <G-d> healed Abimelech, his
	wife and his slave girls so they could have children again,
	for the <LORD> had closed up every womb in Abimelech's
	household because of Abraham's wife Sarah.

At this point my patience gave out.  Nearly every story in Genesis
that I looked at contained more than one name for G-d, often very
close together.  *Either* we accept that the use of different divine
names tells us something about differing sources, in which case we
have to chop up *most* of the stories in Genesis, *or* we accept
the evidence of Enuma Elish, which is that a single "immediate"
source may quite well use more than one name for a god within a
single thought.

> It's all very well to criticize Noth for his excesses

What I'm doing is pointing out that the *fundamental* assumption of
the method (that we can make a start on the partition by examining
the use of divine names) is in conflict with the cultural background,
and that it would result in chopping up *most* of the stories in
Genesis.  Accordingly, some other basis for partition must be found.

> If you have
> no explanation (or only the kinds of ad hoc stuff that the rabbis give,
> which is certainly pious, but tends to obscure rather than clarifying the
> data), then a DH "adherent" like me can only ask, "what do you suggest in
> place of this, which I find historically plausible?"

There is no obligation on a sceptic to suggest anything at all.
You don't have to be an architect to point out that the Leaning Tower of
Pisa is not vertical, still less do you have to have a plan for
straightening it before your observation can be accepted as true.
I have not in this argument made any affirmation about what the textual
units of the Torah are, nor concerning their provenance, nor concerning
their dates.  What I do affirm is that the Torah most likely _had_
humanly accessible sources for the most part, and that we should expect
many of these sources to have used Semitic literary forms known from
other Near Eastern cultures.

--
I am not now and never have been a member of Mensa.		-- Ariadne.

mangoe@tove.cs.umd.edu (Charley Wingate) (11/29/90)

Richard A. O'Keefe writes:

>English lesson:
>    the rule for abbreviations is that an abbreviation ends with an
>    abbreviation point if and only if the last letter of the abbreviation
>    differs from the last letter of the word abbreviated.

It is perhaps germane to the topic here to point out that American English
does not have this rule.  The American rule is (quoting the MLA style book)
"Abbreviations that end in a small letter are followed by a period."
Normally all abbreviations end in a period, whereas acronyms do not.

How is this relevant?  Consider Mr. O'Keefe copying out Mr. Seimon's text.
There's more than an even chance that he is going to "correct" these
mistakes.  Even if he is trying to copy exactly, his mistakes are likely to
"correct" the existing text.

I suspect the primary motivation for the DH is the juxtaposition of the
"two" creation stories.  Ordinarily we do not write like that; it is most
easily explained in terms of two stories redacted together.  On the other
hand, an interleaving of two stories exceeds my credulity; I am much more
prone to see that in terms of someone deliberately trying to vary things.
--
C. Wingate         + "Our God to whom we turn when weary with illusion,
                   +  Whose stars serenely burn above this world's confusion,