[soc.religion.christian] women working outside the home

lanre@cascade.stanford.edu (Lanre Amos) (11/02/90)

here's what the instructor said in my counselling class at bible college:

the scripture says "if a MAN will not provide for those of his household
he has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel"

so the woman should never have to work to support the family. it'a a
different thing if she WANTS to work but even then the motive must
not be to support the family.

the closure to this is of-course the scripture that says "be content with
what you have for God has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you...'"

-L.

but then, "as for God, His way is PERFECT".

kday@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Day) (11/06/90)

In article <Nov.2.03.02.30.1990.3906@porthos.rutgers.edu> lanre@cascade.stanford.edu (Lanre Amos) writes:
>here's what the instructor said in my counselling class at bible college:
>
>the scripture says "if a MAN will not provide for those of his household
>he has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel"
>
>so the woman should never have to work to support the family. it'a a
>different thing if she WANTS to work but even then the motive must
>not be to support the family.

   Please take note of what the scripture is trying to say. It says
"if a man WILL NOT provide for those of his household." Believe it or
not, in our world today, though a man wants to provide for his family,
sometimes he can't. Sometimes he may work 2 jobs and still not be able
to make ends meet. Yes, that may be because their priorities are out
of line. In that case, they need to reassess them. Sometimes it's because
of the poor economy and sometimes because of lack of sound judgement
in the past that they are paying for now. What do those people do who
can't make it on the husbands income even if he's working more than one
job, starve and not pay their bills? Does that bring glory to God? Did
or did not God create Eve to be a helpmeet for Adam? Yes, he did.
   I agree, it's "best" for a woman to stay at home and raise the children
and take care of things on the homefront while her husband brings in
the necessary income and, yes, they should try to do all they can to
do it that way. Sometimes alternative approaches have to be used.

K. Scott Day
David Taylor Research Center
Bethesda, Maryland

All thoughts expressed are strictly my own, though it's amazing this
brain is still capable of having any.

 "The more one comes to know men, the more one comes to admire the dog."
						  -Joussenel

jcw6@midway.uchicago.edu (joe carl white) (11/06/90)

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I've been away for a while.
Has anyone brought up Galatians 3:28 as it concerns this topic?

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are
all one in Christ Jesus."  (NIV)

--
Joe Carl Patrick Spontaneous White		jcw6@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Divinity School           (312) 752-3810

lins@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Lindsay Gower) (11/06/90)

lanre@cascade.stanford.edu (Lanre Amos) writes:

>the scripture says "if a MAN will not provide for those of his household
>he has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel"

>so the woman should never have to work to support the family. it'a a
>different thing if she WANTS to work but even then the motive must
>not be to support the family.

My reading of this, juxtaposed to the lovely example of the wife
of noble character of Proverbs 31, brings me to the opposite
conclusion: the wife if she wants to work outside the home, may
if her motive IS to support her family.

Ok, let me define *support*:  I think the first scripture quoted
above means that a man must make every effort to provide for his
family. He shouldn't be a lazy bum or rely on charity or his
parents or whatever.  So he is to try his best.

And as we all know, trying your best does not always meet the
bills.  So I don't see that a wife, if she and her husband
prayerfully agree, shouldn't go earn some money too.

Read Proverbs 31:10-31.  This woman's concern is to MAKE A
COMFORTABLE, HAPPY HOME.  She is a HOME-MAKER.  She is not
bogged down by odd rules about her physical location; her
motive is to provide.  She provides food, but it doesn't
say if she cooks it.  She buys fields, she plants vineyards.
Does she have an MBA?  She keeps healthy (does she go to
Jazzercise?)  She weaves; surely she could do that at home
but it is work that requires concentration, so she can't
mind the kids simultaneously.  Maybe theyre at school or
someone is minding them.  She makes sure everyone is clothed,
and warm in winter.  She speaks with wisdom (maybe a class
at church or the local college?).

Now here's the kicker: her children call her blessed and
her husband praises her!  Obviously, they do not feel
neglected.

IMHO, a wife/mother is responsible to God to create a happy,
peaceful comfortable home for her husband/family. Just how
she goes about doing that is between her, her God and her
husband and should not be contingent on precise amounts of
time spent in tightly defined spaces.  I believe scripture
bears this out.

Lindsay Gower
UniSoft Corp			lins@unisoft.com

beatle@sentry.larc.nasa.gov (Teresa Nicholls) (11/08/90)

I sort of look at it like you do, and believe, that a woman is to be a
helper to her man. I think that I was meant to help him outside of the home
as well as inside. I know (and was taught from a small child) how to cook,
clean house, take care of children and can and do so (of my own place, and
my sister's children). But since I got good grades, my parents wanted me to
go to college, which I did and graduated. I dont want to think about getting
married for another 3-4 years at least, to pretty much get a headstart on
paying for my college loans, and finishing getting things for a place (
only have a sofa left to get). My point is that this way my mind is matured
and I am mentally, emotionally and physically ready to be a good wife to
my husband, and this is how I want to be a helpmeet to him (my view anyway).

Teresa

jow@pacbell.com (Jeff Westman) (11/09/90)

In article <Nov.5.22.08.11.1990.21114@athos.rutgers.edu> jcw6@midway.uchicago.edu (joe carl white) writes:
| "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are
| all one in Christ Jesus."  (NIV)

Joe,

I'm sure your intentions are pure, in that you want to illuminate the rest of
us on a Scripture we might have missed, but I think **CONTEXT** is important
here.

The verse from Galations you have sited has to do with our **POSITION** in
Christ, that is, God does not differentiate between mail or female (et al)
with respect to our **SPIRITUAL** position -- salvation is available and
attainable by all who call on His name.  God doesn't play favorites.  The
verse you quoted has absolutely **NOTHING** to do with a man's responsibility
to care and provide for his family (from 2 Tim 3 or 5, I believe, from an
earlier posting(s)).

This not evade the fact the God commands the man to provide for his family,
and puts the responsibility of the home on the woman (same passage -- I wish I
had my Bible with me today!).

I knew a fellow christian with three kids.  He was doing part-time constuc-
tion at the time, trying to get on full-time with the local Fire Department
(he was number one on the waiting list -- for about a year-and-a-half!).  He
absolutely **REFUSED** to let his wife work; not because of "mail ego", but
because he was doing what God wanted him to do.  For a time, he was even
working two jobs.  Needless to say, he didn't get to see his kids much.  Mean-
while, his wife took care of the home, again, according to his beliefs.  To
make a long story short, God has richly blessed his marriage; he also got the
job he'd been trying for, which works out great for the whole family because
of the way the FD rotates their shifts (24 hrs on/3 days off).  We all thought
he was crazy.  But by his determination and faith, God was faithful.

I understand financial hardships.  But we must obey God's commands.  And then
those areas that are not clearly spelled out, that is where Christian
liberties take place.

--
Jeff

gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) (11/29/90)

Since I started this thread some time back, I want to jump back into the
middle of it.  Let me start by saying "Bravo, Lindsay Gower!!"

I'd like to point something out to folks.  Until shortly after WWII,
most Americans were self-employed.  That is, they worked for themselves
and were not captive employees as we find ourselves today.  A wife did
work to help support her family.  She might do sewing, gardening and
raise chickens (she would sell eggs and some chickens for profit), and
there were many other forms of labor for which a woman could make money,
and quite often without having to "work outside the home."  Within
farming communities, it has never been uncommon to see wives working in
the fields with their husbands and children.

I believe that a wife is to be a good homemaker.  However, I also
believe that a husband is just as responsible for the home as the wife.
I often find myself doing dishes, cooking, running clothes through the
washing/drying bit, and other household chores.  I find no evidence in
Scripture that says that this sort of thing is purely women's work.  My
wife will mow the grass and often repair things around the house.  We
are after all making a home *together*.

When my wife fixes something around the house, it really pleases me
because it means that I don't have to worry as much about things.  And
when I do some task that is usually confined to the "woman's world,"
such as washing, drying, and folding laundry, it really pleases my wife
for the same reason.  Further, it shows our mutual respect and love for
each other, plus our submission to each other.  Submission is one of
those two-way streets in our lives.  Yes, my wife is to submit to me.
But if I'm not in submission to my Head, she is going to have a hard
time with submitting to my headship.  Additionally, we are both to be in
submission to Christ.  If I'm not, then there is a serious problem
within the family.

In today's world, most of us cannot make a living working for ourselves
as our forefathers did (or possibly even our own grandparents for some
of us "ancient ones" ;-)).  So a wife working outside the home is not
something that I find at odds with Scripture.  The idea that she can do
so unless she is helping to support her family seems a bit odd to me.
Granted, a man is supposed to support his family, but a wife, according
to the Bible, is the a "helpmeet."  That a wife helps in supporting a
family seems perfectly in accord with the Scriptures.

When there are children involved, I still have questions about, but no
easy answers.  I do know that often Christian families find themselves
faced with this problem, increasingly.  For a long time now, there has
been one group within the Christian body that has flatly said that a
wife must never work outside the confines of the home.  Sometimes I feel
that there is a great deal of legalism involved in this position.
Personally, I think that the decision has to be left up to the
individual Christian families to solve for themselves.  The Church has a
responsibility to give as much aid and teaching on this as possible, but
it is not the Church's position to establish some new law of the Gospel.
There is liberty in Christ, and we should live freely within that
liberty being led by the Spirit in all things.

A while back there were some comments about the role of the husband in
childcare.  I have changed diapers, gotten up for early morning
feedings, stayed up with a sick child, tended to "wounds" earned in the
combat of play, played with my children, answered the tough questions,
and more.  I enjoyed being a father, and miss my children very much.  I
would not have missed any part of their growing up if I'd have had my
way about it.  Unfortunately, sometimes business got in the way and I
had to be off in other parts of the country while they were still at
home.  But my kids always knew that I was there for them.

So to answer my own question, can a wife work outside the home?  I would
answer with, why not?  If a husband and wife pray about this matter and
determine that it is correct for them, why should any of us stop them?
If they decide otherwise, why should any of us call them into question
for it?  Is this really an essential of the Faith?

Yours in Christ,

Gene Gross

gerwitz@uunet.uu.net (Paul Gerwitz) (12/04/90)

In article <Nov.29.00.17.06.1990.14718@athos.rutgers.edu>, gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) writes:

 Post deleted due to length...............

|> So to answer my own question, can a wife work outside the home?  I would
|> answer with, why not?  If a husband and wife pray about this matter and
|> determine that it is correct for them, why should any of us stop them?
|> If they decide otherwise, why should any of us call them into question
|> for it?  Is this really an essential of the Faith?
|>
|> Yours in Christ,
|>
|> Gene Gross

Thanks Gene for you thoughtful comments.  I find myself in agreement with
most of what you wrote, still thinking about the rest.

I would bring up one point for the group to consider regarding this issue..

It is up to each of us, husbands and wifes, to discern our 'role' with
regard to our families.  We should spend much time in prayer and study
to determine God's direction in this area.  We also need to realize that
the society we live in has replaced or is evolving different roles for men
and women that are contrary to God's plan.  It is this process of
discernment that seems to be lacking these days.  It is not an easy thing
to come to grips with in our fast-paced, materialistic society.  But it is
essential for ourselves, our marraiges and our children.

My wife and I discerned very early in our marraige that her role included
being a homemaker.  We have endured many periods of financial stress and
lack in the last 10 years with only one salary.  The fruit of that decision
cannot be measured, as good has helped us meet our regular financial needs
(house, food, clothing) but also has provided us enough to send all our
children to catholic school as well as a yearly family vacation.  I think
for us the reliance on God to provide our needs rather than ourselves or
the world has helped us keep everything in perpective.

I have a tape from Focus on the Family (Dr. Dobson's Ministry) that has an
excellent panel discussion with 4 career women who are now full time
homemakers.  Great discussion of the keys issues.  I will post the info for
getting a copy on Moday

In the Love of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit......

			Paul
look on our decision as 'old-fashioned', repressive to my wife
 | Paul F Gerwitz  WA2WPI  | SMTP: gerwitz@kodak.com                          |
 | Eastman Kodak Co        | UUCP: ..uunet!atexnet!kodak!eastman!gerwitz      |

gerwitz@uunet.uu.net (Paul Gerwitz) (12/06/90)

In article <Dec.4.00.33.49.1990.364@athos.rutgers.edu>, sisd!kodak!gerwitz@uunet.uu.net (Paul Gerwitz) writes:

|> I have a tape from Focus on the Family (Dr. Dobson's Ministry) that has an
|> excellent panel discussion with 4 career women who are now full time
|> homemakers.  Great discussion of the keys issues.  I will post the info for
|> getting a copy on Moday

   Call 1-800-AFAMILY (1-800-232-6459)     ++ Not a commercial endorsement
                                           ++ Just a GOOD Tape
   or Write: Focus on the Family
	     Pamona, Ca   91799

   Ask for Tape CS-518 "Career Homemaking"

|> In the Love of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit......
|>
|> 			Paul
|> look on our decision as 'old-fashioned', repressive to my wife

SORRY for the sloppy editing, disregard this "orphaned" sentence