[soc.religion.christian] Two kinds of faith

ASC105@psuvm.psu.edu (11/29/90)

  When obtaining God's promises, the kind of faith that a born-again believer
should have is that of Abraham. But first, let's look at the kind of faith that
many people have:
  John chapter 20 mentions a disciple named Thomas, who absolutely refused
to believe that the supernatural appearance of the Lord was true UNTIL he saw
the physical evidence of the fact.  This kind of faith says, "I will NOT
believe until AFTER I SEE physical evidence of God's promise.
  However, in Genesis chapter 12 is shown another kind of faith-- that of
Abraham. This is the kind of faith that produces blessings when they are
PROMISED by God. This faith actually produces results for you. Notice that
Abraham believed God's promise even BEFORE he saw the physical evidence, and
thus he acted upon this promise. He and many nations were blessed as a result.
  Healing is one of the great many promises found in the bible. Isaiah 53:4-5,
and Galations 3:13 say that all born-again believers are redeemed from the
curse of physical illness (among other things).  When believers act upon these
promises, results happen (see the last chapter of Mark).  Signs & wonders
follow up after the Word of God is preached and acted upon. Miracle healings
don't result from descrediting the bible.  God's Word will not make you
hallucinate. The miracles are real.
  The most effective way of obtaining healing is through the kind of faith
that Abraham had. He trusted in God's promise BEFORE he saw physical evidence
of it happening.  The result reaches even to today's body of believers.
There's no need to question, "Is it the Lord's will to heal me?"  The reason
is that it is promised and paid for by the perfect sacrifice of Jesus (just
like salvation).
  Remenber this: "FAITH is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence
of things NOT SEEN." - Hebrews 11:1
  I don't hear many Christians saying, "Is it the Lord's will for me to go
to heaven?"
                                             In Jesus's Name
                                             Allen S. Cheung
                                             (Jesus is Lord! Halleleuia!)

garyh@crash.cts.com (Gary Hipp) (12/01/90)

In article <Nov.29.02.45.45.1990.15943@athos.rutgers.edu> ASC105@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>>  Healing is one of the great many promises found in the bible. Isaiah 53:4-5,
>and Galations 3:13 say that all born-again believers are redeemed from the
>curse of physical illness (among other things).  When believers act upon these
>
>  The most effective way of obtaining healing is through the kind of faith
>that Abraham had. He trusted in God's promise BEFORE he saw physical evidence
>of it happening.  The result reaches even to today's body of believers.
>There's no need to question, "Is it the Lord's will to heal me?"  The reason

Allen, the context of these verses have absolutely nothing to do with
physical healing.  In actuallity the Isaiah passage says just the
opposite.  The context is the crucifixion.  Christ suffered
physically, that is obvious.  So, in the context of the crucifixion,
IPet.2:21 states, "For you have been called for this purpose, since
Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in
His steps,."  And IPet.4:1, "Therefore, since Christhas suffered in
the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose,..."

Don't you think that the trials and tribulations of a Christian entail
physical suffering?  That they are there to bring about perseverance?

Romans 8:18-23 speaks of the sufferings of the creation of which we
are a part and it will not be until the revealing of the glory of the
children of God; the redemption of our body, that we will be free of
sickness and disease.  Otherwise, physical death would not be able to
take a Christian.  It was because of sin that creation itself is
enslaved to decay and ruin, and we along with it.

And Heb.2:8 "...For in subjecting all things to him, He left nothing
that is not subject to him.  But now we do not yet see all things
subjected to him.  But we do see Him...
                                 ^^^
AND THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF OUR SUFFERING.

Look at IICor.1:3-11.  v.4 (speaking of God)... who comforts us in all
our affliction...  The verse does not say He heals us from our
afflictions, but comforts us.  And for a purpose, that we may comfort
others.  The sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, v.5, but so
is the comfort.

Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying,
yet our inner man is being rewarded day by day.  For momentary, light
affliction is producing for us and eternal weight of glory far beyong
all comparison.  IICor.4:16-17.

It is my honest belief that more people have come to know the Lord,
Christian and non-Christian alike,; through their suffering than being
healed from their suffering.

I will not deny miracles and believe God does heal, but it won't be
until the next age that we will not see disease, decay, or ruin of our
bodies including the most devout, faithful, obedient, spiritual
Christians.

Gary Hipp

vm0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent Paul Mulhern) (12/04/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.soc.religion.christian: 1-Dec-90 Re: Two kinds of
> faith Gary Hipp@crash.cts.com (2886)

> Allen, the context of these verses have absolutely nothing to do with
> physical healing.  In actuallity the Isaiah passage says just the
> opposite.

(referring to Isaiah 53:4-5)

   If Allen's taking this out of context, then so did Matthew.  Check
out Matthew 8:14-17.  vs 17 says the PHYSICAL healings Jesus was working
(in the PHYSICAL bodies of ALL the sick) were fulfilling that passage
from Isaiah.  It does refer to physical sickness and physical healing.

> IPet.2:21 states, "For you have been called for this purpose, since
> Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in
> His steps,."  And IPet.4:1, "Therefore, since Christhas suffered in
the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose,..."

   Where is sickness mentioned or implied in either of these passages?
2:21 is talking about persecution at the hands of evil men.  (Read the
preceding verse.)  Jesus said that Christians would endure persecution
at the hands of others.  He never said that sickness was to be endured
or even tolerated.
   In the same breath that He sent Christians to preach the gospel, He
told them to HEAL the sick, not join them.  (Mark 16:15-18).  And this
from the same man (/God) that said a kingdom divided against itself
cannot stand.  Isn't it a contradiction that God wants people to be
healed of the instrument he allegedly uses to teach and perfect them?
Jesus NEVER implied that sickness was EVER good.  Not ONCE.  Even when
He was in Nazareth and nobody would listen to Him, He healed the sick.
It says He was unable to do any miracles there EXCEPT lay hands on a few
sick people and HEAL THEM.  (Mark 6:1-5).  It seems that if there's ONE
THING that we can be SURE of the will of God about, it's that He opposes
sickness and disease absolutely.  We ought to check up on who it is that
wants us sick.

   Lastly, a quick comment about Paul's thorn.  (II Cor 12:7-10)  Why is
it that people blindly ignore the fact that PAUL HIMSELF SAID it was a
messenger of satan sent to torment him?  And when he listed the problems
he was encountering in verse 10, why isn't "sickness" or "disease" in
there?

   A couple of questions for consideration:
    1.  When did Jesus EVER say to somebody who sought healing from him,
"It's not my will to heal you?"
    2.  When did Jesus say, "God allowed you to have this sickness so
you can develop perserverance and develop your faith."
    3.  When did Jesus ever allow or condone sickness?

   Jesus said he came to DO the will of the Father.  What did He DO?
Heal the sick, and tell others to do the same.  (among other things).
Then what's the will of the Father regarding sickness?  Jesus Christ is
the SAME yesterday, today, and FOREVER.  (Heb. 13:8)  Well, then, His
attitude towards sickness hasn't changed.

Jesus is Lord!
Vince Mulhern

mchamberland@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Marc Chamberland) (12/12/90)

In article <Dec.4.00.47.56.1990.531@athos.rutgers.edu>, vm0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent Paul Mulhern) writes:

>    1.  When did Jesus EVER say to somebody who sought healing from him,
>"It's not my will to heal you?"
>    2.  When did Jesus say, "God allowed you to have this sickness so
>you can develop perserverance and develop your faith."
>    3.  When did Jesus ever allow or condone sickness?

With regard to question 3, see John 9:1- :

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which blind from his birth.
And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man,
or his parents, that he was born blind?
Jesus answered, Neither has this man sinned, nor his parents,
BUT THAT THE WORKS OF GOD SHOULD BE MADE MANIFEST IN HIM.

This man, nor his parents had any responsibility for his blindness.
In fact, God created him in this state. But, there was a purpose.
Jesus was definitely glorified through this situation.

Also see John 11:4, regarding the death of Lazarus:

...This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God....

Here again, Jesus was glorified through this event. Though I
believe in many cases, sickness is caused by sin and disobediance,
this is not a blanket fact. If a Christian is sick, they should
ask the Lord why He allowed it to happen.

Marc Chamberland

vm0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent Paul Mulhern) (12/14/90)

   >    3.  When did Jesus ever allow or condone sickness?
>>

>With regard to question 3, see John 9:1- :
(blind man, and later, Lazarus being raised...)  "The glory of God may
be manifest."

     Both of these incidences were followed by the guy being healed.
How can we say that these events demonstrate that Jesus approved of the
sickness?  As soon as He found out about the sickness, He cured it.  The
glory was in the HEALING, not the sickness.  But people today say "Well,
it must be God's will that I'm sick...I guess it will be to His glory"
and other such nonsense, never expecting to be healed, but rather as a
form of resignation.
     The fact that Jesus successfully opposed the sickness as soon as He
found out about it kind of shoots down the notion that He was in favor
of it.  He didn't condone it...He said that it should be opposed and
that God receives glory from the HEALING of the sick.
    Jesus is Lord...
    -Vince Mulhern