[soc.religion.christian] Infant Baptism and Oddements

cjr@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Rasmus) (12/17/90)

In a past article, Frank Farkas wrote about Infant Baptism and stuff...

Well, I haven't finished catching up on my christian articles (100 more to go!)
but I just noticed something I'd like to comment on.

He mentioned the scripture where Jesus said basically the following:

Unless a man be born of water and spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.

When He was talking to Nicademus.  Well, the way I've looked at this verse (and
I know, I know, this can cause prob's-my WAY of looking at verses! *grin*) is
in this fashion: Jesus was telling Nicademus (and US), that the only way we can
enter the kingdom of heaven is if we're

    (1) born once from our mother's womb

and (2) re-born of the spirit, which occurs when we accept Jesus Christ as
        our Lord and Savior.

I don't know, but this sort of explains a lot of things for me.  Explains how
those who AREN'T baptised can still get to heaven, and how those who DON'T
accept Him, even though they're baptised, don't get to heaven.

Everyone obviously qualifies for (1), but what about (2)?

Please, as this is my first ever posting to soc.religion.christian, please
comment on my (hopefully) christian thinking(s).  *grin*

In Jesus' love,
  Sincerely,
    Chris!

And have a merry, merry Christmas-time!  :)  *hugs!*

math1h3@jetson.uh.edu (12/19/90)

In article <Dec.16.19.58.07.1990.22055@athos.rutgers.edu>, cjr@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Rasmus) writes:

> Unless a man be born of water and spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.
>
> When He was talking to Nicademus.  Well, the way I've looked at this verse (and
> I know, I know, this can cause prob's-my WAY of looking at verses! *grin*) is
> in this fashion: Jesus was telling Nicademus (and US), that the only way we can
> enter the kingdom of heaven is if we're
>
>     (1) born once from our mother's womb
>
> and (2) re-born of the spirit, which occurs when we accept Jesus Christ as
>         our Lord and Savior.

This is an interesting interpretation, that 'water' refers to amniotic water
and not the water of baptism.  But Jesus was talking to Nicodemus about
something he did not yet have, being 'born again'.  To say that physical birth
is a requirement for salvation is rather meaningless.

I think Colossians 2:10-12 makes it clear that in baptism:

1.	We are made a part of God's new covenant. (circumcision)
2. 	Our sinful nature is put to death 'buried'
3.	We are spiritually resurrected.

One might think that the reference to Baptism in this passage is only to
being 'buried with him'.  However since it is evident, and Scriptural, that
the sinful nature remains with us throughout our lives, then it must be that
Baptism works in us throughout our lives--as long as we 'make use' of it
by drowning our sins in  daily repentance.  (But now I am saying things only
a Lutheran could make sense of! :-) ) Therefore baptism includes the entire
conversion experience, and in fact our whole life after conversion.

David H. Wagner.
a confessional Lutheran.
           	"On Jordan's bank the Baptist's cry
		Announces that the Lord is nigh;
		Come then, and hearken, for he brings
		Glad tidings from the King of Kings.

		"For Thou art our Salvation, Lord,
		Our Refuge, and our great Reward.
		Without Thy grace our souls must fade
		And wither like a flow'r decayed."

		--"On Jordan's Bank the Baptist's Cry" v. 1,3
		--Charles Coffin, 1736.
		--from "The Lutheran Hymnal" #63.

My opinions and beliefs on this matter are disclaimed by
The University of Houston