[soc.religion.christian] Gentiles and Torah

rblack@shemtaia.weeg.uiowa.edu (Roger Black) (12/19/90)

In article <Dec.6.03.38.42.1990.23495@athos.rutgers.edu>,
YZKCU@cunyvm.bitnet (Yaakov Kayman) writes:

> Ah! An accusation of misinterpretation from one to whom the Torah was
> never given and for whom it was never intended. How amusing! The Torah
> and its interpretation (the Oral Law) were given only to the Jews. See
> Deut. 33:4 and Ps. 147:19,20.

This is putting a heavy burden of interpretation on these passages, which
I suspect a more objective exegesis might not support.  Consider Isaiah
49:6:

  I will also make you a light of nations, that my salvation may reach the
  ends of the earth.

or Isaiah 51:4:

  Hearken to Me, My people, and give ear to Me, O My nation, for teaching
  shall go forth from Me, my way for the light of peoples.

or Zechariah 8:22-23:

  The many peoples and the multitude of nations shall come to seek the Lord
  of Hosts in Jerusalem and to entreat the favor of the Lord.  Thus said the
  Lord of Hosts:  In those days, ten men from nations of every tongue will
  take hold--they will take hold of every Jew by a corner of his cloak and
  say, 'Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.'

(All quotations are from the New Jewish Publication Society version, 1988.)

As with many other theological controversies, there is no single "Jewish"
position.  The eminent Jewish scholar Jacob Neusner, dealing with precisely
this issue in the December 1990 issue of Bible Review, stated that Judaism
should see itself "as the sages of the oral Torah saw it--as the statement
of God's Torah for all humanity".
 Roger Black                                    rblack@shemtaia.weeg.uiowa.edu

 Disclaimer:                My employer doesn't even know I have any opinions.