[net.lan] Repeaters, Bridges, Routers, and Gateways

gassman@jedi.DEC (02/17/86)

WHOA... it's time to have a few definitions standardized!

>Newsgroups: net.lan
>Subject: Re: Baseband <--> Broadband gateways

>Bridges get involved at the network layer.  IEEE 802.3 & 802.4 only
>specify up through the data link layer.  What bridge you need depends
>on what network layer protocols you need.  For example, Ungermann-Bass
>provides networks based on a variety of different protocols.  Which
>bridge software you get depends on which network protocols you're using.
>Like Ungermann-Bass's, Bridge's and DEC's bridges will only work on
>networks that use their protocols.  Fortunately, we've all started basing
>our products on standard protocols, so depending on your system,
>vendor A's network interface units may communicate using vendor B's
>bridges.
> .
> .
> .
>-- Skip Addison
>   {lll-crg, decwrl, ihnp4}!amdcad!cae780!ubvax!skip
>   Ungermann-Bass, Inc
>   (408) 496-0111

Skip Addison of Ungermann-Bass is greatly mistaken about
what DIGITAL's LANbridge 100 will do.  He states that DEC's
bridge works at the OSI Network layer, and is therefore protocol
dependent.  THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!!!  BRIDGES work at the OSI
datalink layer, and therefore MUST BE PROTOCOL INDEPENDENT.
DEC's LANbridge 100 is indeed so.  What Ungermann-Bass sells as a
BRIDGE is actually a ROUTER, a router being a protocol DEPENDENT
device working at the network layer.  UB has been told this often
at trade shows.  What is happening is that the marketplace is being
confused.  In addition to repeaters and bridges, DIGITAL also
sells routers to forward DECnet protocol packets between LANs
of 802.3 and/or 802.4.

DIGITAL's bridge forwards to the 'B' LAN, *ANY* packet who's
destination station is not on the 'A' LAN.  There also is optional
bridge management software to do protocol or multicast filtering.
Two models exist.  One with two ethernet plugs, and one using up to
2000 meters of fiber optics.  Sorry for the commercial, but putting
out misinformation about LAN products is not helping the standardization
cause at all.  REPEATERS, BRIDGES, ROUTERS, and GATEWAYS are words
that vendors and users must all agree on, while we trek towards OSI.
Skip, please contact me about how DEC and UB can start to agree on
what we call standard products!

Bill Gassman
Networks and Communications
Digital Equipment Corp.
(603) 884-0192

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (02/17/86)

In article <1174@decwrl.DEC.COM> gassman@jedi.DEC writes:
>What Ungermann-Bass sells as a
>BRIDGE is actually a ROUTER, a router being a protocol DEPENDENT
>device working at the network layer.
>
> REPEATERS, BRIDGES, ROUTERS, and GATEWAYS are words
>that vendors and users must all agree on, while we trek towards OSI.

Sounds to me like Bill knows what he's talking about and Skip is
confused.

--
 Real men don't have answering machines.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

skip@ubvax.UUCP (Skip Addison Jr) (02/17/86)

In article something or another, Skip Addison @ Ungermann-Bass writes:
>>Bridges get involved at the network layer.  IEEE 802.3 & 802.4 only
>>specify up through the data link layer.  What bridge you need depends
>>on what network layer protocols you need.  For example, Ungermann-Bass
>>provides networks based on a variety of different protocols.  Which
>>bridge software you get depends on which network protocols you're using.
>>Like Ungermann-Bass's, Bridge's and DEC's bridges will only work on
>>networks that use their protocols.  Fortunately, we've all started basing
>>our products on standard protocols, so depending on your system,
>>vendor A's network interface units may communicate using vendor B's
>>bridges.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>-- Skip Addison
>>   {lll-crg, decwrl, ihnp4}!amdcad!cae780!ubvax!skip
>>   Ungermann-Bass, Inc
>>   (408) 496-0111
>

>Skip Addison of Ungermann-Bass is greatly mistaken about
>what DIGITAL's LANbridge 100 will do.  He states that DEC's
>bridge works at the OSI Network layer, and is therefore protocol
>dependent.  THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!!!  BRIDGES work at the OSI
>datalink layer, and therefore MUST BE PROTOCOL INDEPENDENT.
>DEC's LANbridge 100 is indeed so.  What Ungermann-Bass sells as a
>BRIDGE is actually a ROUTER, a router being a protocol DEPENDENT
>device working at the network layer.
>DIGITAL's bridge forwards to the 'B' LAN, *ANY* packet who's
>destination station is not on the 'A' LAN.  There also is optional
>bridge management software to do protocol or multicast filtering.
>Two models exist.  One with two ethernet plugs, and one using up to
>2000 meters of fiber optics.  Sorry for the commercial, but putting
>out misinformation about LAN products is not helping the standardization
>cause at all.  REPEATERS, BRIDGES, ROUTERS, and GATEWAYS are words
>that vendors and users must all agree on, while we trek towards OSI.
>Skip, please contact me about how DEC and UB can start to agree on
>what we call standard products!
>
>Bill Gassman
>Networks and Communications
>Digital Equipment Corp.
>(603) 884-0192

The original posting referred to DEC's bridge and I assumed (yes, I know
what assume breaks down as :-) that DEC's bridge did the same thing as
everything else I've heard referred to as a bridge.  Incidentally, I learned
my network terminology long before I began working for U-B.

Rather than saying I'm right and you're wrong or some other sort of non-
helpful posting, let's take a vote of people who have worked in the LAN
field more than a year or two.  I'll post my definition of the terms
(which I assume (there's that word again) is close the U-B party line, but
not necessarily exactly) and if you (general you, not you Bill) agree with
that you should mail me a message saying so.  If you disagree on some
substantive portion of the posting, post the differences.

Repeater -- Performs a translation from one physical cable segment to another.
The important part is that it does not change the immediate destination or
source addresses.  To do so would be a routing function.  Generally introduces
something like a one bit-time delay, but there are exceptions as noted below.
Also generally reproduces jamming signals, fragmented frames, etc.

Bridge -- One case of an internetwork router.  Changes the immediate
destination as necessary to further the purpose of getting the packet to its
ultimate destination listed in the Network Layer header.  Changes the
immediate source to its own address.  Of course, if it determines the packet
does not need to be forwarded, it does nothing with it.  A bridge performs
a store and forward operation.  Each 'side' of the bridge can be considered
a seperate signal space.  Jamming signals, frame fragments, etc are not
re-transmitted.

Gateway -- Another case of an internetwork router.  In addition to the
functions of a bridge, it provides protocol translation at some higher
layer.  For example, something that translated TCP/IP to Xerox's Internetwork
Datagram Protocol and Sequenced Packet Protocol would be considered a
gateway.  Translating an IBM 3270 data stream to VT100 escape sequences
might also be called a gateway.

With the advent of so many network protocols operating on top of Ethernet,
many customers have found it helpful to have what I'll call an an Ethernet
'linker' for the moment.  It operates just on the information that's available
in the official Ethernet header.  It does not change anything in the Ethernet
header.  Ungermann-Bass calls that a Buffered Repeater, but I don't believe
that that term is really standardized.  What you call one of these 'linkers'
is pretty much up in the air.  These linkers are not smart enough to serve
in a complex network topology with many signal spaces, loops or cycles,
parrallel load sharing 'linkers' or whatever.  But due to their Network Layer
protocol independence, they do have some use.

We have quite a few 'experts' on the net.  Also a few real experts.  Some have
even written books on the subject.  Care to comment Andy?  I'd also be
interested in hearing from other network vendors.

Bill, your views of the layers, etc are probably pretty well represented
above in your followup to my previous article.  Is there anything missing?

-- Skip Addison
   {lll-crg, decwrl, ihnp4}!amdcad!cae780!ubvax!skip
   (408) 496-0111

kik@cernvax.UUCP (kik) (02/26/86)

I have a personal interest in this discussion on the terminology of
LAN interconnection, since I have just written a paper on a project
in which I was involved, interconnecting transparently Ethernets
by means of a high-speed, general-purpose backbone network. I have
included the (more or less) relevant parts of the paper below:

		     ------------------------------

     There are several approaches by which communications can  be  extended
over  several  networks.  They  fit  into  four  main categories: gateways,
relays, bridges, and repeaters.

      A gateway translates  between  protocols.  Gateways  can  operate  at
different  levels  in  the  ISO  model.  A  gateway that operates below the
Application layer is also known as a "protocol  converter".  Gateways  are,
naturally, specific to the protocols for which they are designed.

     A relay forwards a packet towards its final destination.  This  is  an
operation  carried  out  in  the  Network  layer  and  is  a characteristic
mechanism  of  store-and-forward  networks.   It  allows  mixing  different
communications technologies, but imposes an overall Network level protocol.

    A bridge  is  assumed  to  provide  a  means  of  propagating  a  basic
information frame from the source to the destination network, in such a way
that the information content is unchanged.  This operation  is  constrained
by  the  OSI  model  to  being  performed in the lower sublayer of the Link
layer, whence the complete  term  "Medium  Access  Control  (or  MAC)-level
Bridge".

    This approach to intercommunication  allows  any  mix  of  higher-level
protocols  to operate within the resulting bridged area network in the same
way as within a single local area network.

    In addition, a bridge can carry  out  "filtering"  on  the  destination
address.  This  entails  forwarding  to  each segment only the frames whose
destination corresponds to an address on that segment.

    A repeater amplifies or regenerates the physical signals on a  link  or
bus-type  network.  It  is  used  to  overcome  distance limitations due to
signal degradation.  It should, however, be noted that  the  term  buffered
repeater is generally used to describe a simple MAC-level bridge.

MAC-level Bridge Service Definition
===================================

    This service definition is based on work being carried out within  IEEE
project  802  and  expected  to  be  incorporated  into  ISO^8880  and  the
long-awaited ISO^8802/1.

    The term station is used to represent a (generally intelligent)  device
connected to a LAN.

    The service characteristics are examined with their implication on  the
required characteristics of the bridge:-

topology independence:
bridges are invisible to the upper part of level^2 (LLC),  and  all  higher
layers.   They   are   not  explicitly  addressed,  except  for  management
functions;

MAC transparency:
the  bridge  should  not  need  any  modification  to  the   existing   MAC
specifications  (ISO^8802/3,4,5).  The  assignment  of LAN addresses should
not be affected by the presence of the bridge;

minimal increase in errors:
bridges should not significantly increase the incidence of  errors  between
communicating  stations.  It  should  be  noted,  however, that the general
bridge  service  definition  does  not  rule  out  loss,   duplication   or
misordering of frames;

sufficient data length:
the bridges should be able to forward at  least  the  minimum  useful  data
unit.  The minimum acceptable size is set by IEEE to 263^bytes;

limited transit delay:
the resultant  bridged  area  network  should  not  exhibit  too  large  an
end-to-end transit delay.  This upper limit is set by IEEE at 5^seconds.

Potential disadvantages
=======================

    The main problems that can be encountered in a bridged area network fit
roughly into the following categories:

increased delay: the bridges impose a store-and-forward delay;

congestion: congestion in the bridge can lead to several symptoms  such  as
lost frames, irregular traffic, etc.;

increased  security  risks:  remote  access  allows  unauthorised  use   of
connected segments;

degradation of some service characteristics: the overall service relies  on
the individual services available along the traversed path.  This can lead,
for example, to reductions in the maximum frame length compared  with  that
available on each of the end segments;

loss of local features: one typical such  example  is  for  the  ISO^8802/5
token  ring, where the MAC-level protocol provides the transmitting station
with the information as to whether the receiving station  on  the  ring  is
present  and  whether  the  data  was  copied  ("R"  and" "C" bits).  These
features can obviously  not  be  given  end-to-end  significance  across  a
bridged area network;

management complexity: analysis of performance and diagnosis of  end-to-end
problems become even more complicated than in a single network.

Implications of bridges
=======================

   In order to be able to provide the services needed by the bridge itself,
the LAN interface must have a certain minimal functionality.

    For reception, it must be capable of receiving all frames travelling on
the  LAN  ("promiscuous"  mode),  in order to allow the software to select,
from the total traffic, the frames to be forwarded.

    For emission, it must be able to insert any acceptable value  for  both
the  source and destination addresses, in order to allow the original frame
to be  recreated  identically  on  the  destination  segment.  It  is  also
desirable  for  the emitter to be able to specify the value of the checksum
to be included with the frame.

			  ------------------------

I hope that this contributes to the discussion. An effort has been made to
match the terminology to that emerging from the standards organisations,
insofar as it is relevant to the actual, practical application.

root@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Root) (02/27/86)

Unfortunately, there are several different communities, each of which
use words in different ways.  I have a reasonable familiarity with the
terminology used by PUP, TCP/IP, XNS, and DECnet.  I am not going to
try to speak for ISO.  The Internet community inherits the traditions
and terminology of PUP, NCP, TCP, and to some extent XNS.  In this
community, the term "gateway" normally means something that forwards
individual packets based on the addresses in the protocol headers.
Thus a gateway must know enough about the protocol to pick the address
out of the header.  However normally it knows only about the lowest
layer.  E.g. it would know only about IP (not TCP) or PUPs (not BSP).
Most protocols have special ancillary protocols that gateways also
must know.  E.g. with IP many gateways handle echo requests, generate
packets telling the source to slow down when the gateway's buffers are
filling, etc.  For IP, PUP, and XNS, most gateways communicate with
other gateways to keep track of network topology (EGP or routed for
TCP/IP, RIP for PUP and XNS).  The term "gateway" is always used for
these objects in the IP community.  I am fairly sure PUP also used the
term "gateway".  XNS seems to use the term "internetwork router".  DEC
has a device called a "DECnet router" that seems to be essentially the
same sort of object.

The term repeater is commonly used to refer to something that operates
at the level of physical packets.  Most typically, it forwards
Ethernet packets.  Such a device does not know anything about the
protocols being carried on it.  The original Ethernet specification
used "repeater" to refer to something that connects two Ethernet
segments to form what is effectively a single Ethernet.  Even
collisions must propagate through it unchanged.  So this is a very
low-level thing.  The Ethernet spec uses the term "remote repeater" to
refer to a pair of half repeaters connected by a fiber optic cable.
This operates at the same level as the other repeaters.

I don't know of any IP or PUP specifications defining anything called
a "bridge".  However this terms seems to be used within the TCP/IP
community to refer to devices that forward at the level of Ethernet
addresses, but are not repeaters.  That is, they are store and forward
devices, but they do their routing on the basis of the Ethernet
address of the packet rather than the IP or other protocol address.
This means that they are independent of the protocol.  They may
exchange routing information, but normally do so using a private
protocol unrelated to the protocols of the packets they are handling.
An example of such a device is DEC's new DECbridge 100, and Applitek's
system that connects Ethernets using a broadband backbone.

I am not sure what people call devices that convert protocols.  Examples
would be DEC's DECnet/SNA gateway (hmmm.... I guess that means they
use the term "gateway").  The XNS spec seems to use the term "gateway"
to refer to devices that convert between XNS and a foreign protocol.

The only serious conflict seems to be over the word "gateway".  This
has been used for so many years within the Internet community that it
is going to cause incredible confusion for anyone to use the same word
with a different meaning.  Generally I try to use an adjective with it
to clarify the sense in which it is being used.  Thus I normally use
the term "IP gateway" to refer to the conventional sort of gateway
used by TCP/IP, since it operates at the IP level.  A term such as
DEC's "DECnet/SNA gateway" is also clear enough to avoid confusion.
However if you use the term gateway without qualification to refer to
something that converts protocols, and if you expect your document to
be read by people whose background is either TCP/IP or 4.2, you are
asking for misunderstanding.

sjl@amdahl.UUCP (Steve Langdon) (03/01/86)

In article <280@cernvax.UUCP> kik@cernvax.UUCP (Crispin PINEY) provides
a good overall description of the subject.  There are, however, a few
points that I would like to comment on.

>      There are several approaches by which communications can  be  extended
> over  several  networks.  They  fit  into  four  main categories: gateways,
> relays, bridges, and repeaters.
>
>       A gateway translates  between  protocols.  Gateways  can  operate  at
> different  levels  in  the  ISO  model.  A  gateway that operates below the
> Application layer is also known as a "protocol  converter".  Gateways  are,
> naturally, specific to the protocols for which they are designed.
>
>      A relay forwards a packet towards its final destination.  This  is  an
> operation  carried  out  in  the  Network  layer  and  is  a characteristic
> mechanism  of  store-and-forward  networks.   It  allows  mixing  different
> communications technologies, but imposes an overall Network level protocol.

This is a fairly accurate picture of the terminology used in ISO OSI
documents.  Unfortunately, the DARPA Internet community tend to use the
term "gateway" to mean exactly what is called a (network layer) "relay" in
OSI. I prefer the OSI usage, but it will be a while before it is used
universally.

The use of an overall Network layer protocol is *A* way of performing the
network layer relay function.  It happens to be the way I prefer, because
I am a staunch advocate of IS 8473 (the ISO Internet Protocol).
However, readers should be aware that more than one approach is possible.

Without going into the gory details of DIS 8648 "Internal Organization of
the Network Layer", it is not possible to explain all the variations, but
a good example of an alternative, is connecting X.25 networks using X.75.
This provides both ends of a connection with the appearance of a common
network layer protocol without actually using the same protocol end to end.

> MAC-level Bridge Service Definition
> ===================================
>
>     This service definition is based on work being carried out within  IEEE
> project  802  and  expected  to  be  incorporated  into  ISO^8880  and  the
> long-awaited ISO^8802/1.

I am the ISO editor for DP 8880/1, 8880/2, and 8880/3 which have the overall
title "Specification of Protocols to Provide and Support the OSI Network
Service".  At present ther is no mention of MAC bridges, because it was
concluded that, except for the Quality of Service differences you described,
the network layer should not be aware of the presence of a MAC bridge.

An earlier revision of DP 8880 did mention MAC bridges, and at the SC6 WG2
meeting this April, MAC bridges may reappear when the documents are revised.

> topology independence:
> bridges are invisible to the upper part of level^2 (LLC),  and  all  higher
> layers.   They   are   not  explicitly  addressed,  except  for  management
> functions;

IBM has proposed a form of source routing that can be used with their
preferred variant of a MAC bridge.  I do not think this will be accepted
by IEEE 802, but no final decision had been made the last time I checked.

> sufficient data length:
> the bridges should be able to forward at  least  the  minimum  useful  data
> unit.  The minimum acceptable size is set by IEEE to 263^bytes;

I hope IEEE will reconsider this number, because IS 8473 requires a
minimum of 512 octets.  The DIS version of 8473 required 256 octets, but
this was raised to 512 in the final round of editing.

>     For emission, it must be able to insert any acceptable value  for  both
> the  source and destination addresses, in order to allow the original frame
> to be  recreated  identically  on  the  destination  segment.  It  is  also
> desirable  for  the emitter to be able to specify the value of the checksum
> to be included with the frame.

For maximum data integrity it is desirable to avoid recomputing the
frame checksum.  This is, of course, only possible when the same algorithm
is used on both segments.

Thank you for your summary.  I wish I had the time to provide more
information in this type of discussion.
--
Stephen J. Langdon                  ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!sjl

[ The article above is not an official statement from any organization
  in the known universe. ]