[soc.religion.christian] Apostolic Succession

jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com (06/27/90)

Cindy Smith was replying to one of my postings:

    > Well...  There has been a certain amount of development in Roman
    > Catholic doctrine, but there haven't been any outright reversals in
    > defined dogmas.  I have a well-known 13th century theological work (5
    > volumes in English) that expounds the same Roman Catholic theology that
    > exists today.  A similar Anglican work does not exist.

    At that point, the Anglican Church and the Roman Church were one.
    The Venerable Bede is a Doctor of the Church.  Does that mean that
    his works are considered Roman Catholic and *not* Anglican?
    Certainly not.

I beg to disagree; the Anglican denomination is in basic disagreement
with its roots.  Let me quote a few things from Venerable Bede's "A
History of the English Church and People", which you can pick up in most
bookstores in the Penguin Classics series:

Here is part of the letter of Pope Boniface V to Justus, who succeeded
to the Archbishopric of Canterbury in 624 AD:

    Moved by your devotion, my brother, we are sending you by the bearer
    of this letter the pallium, which we grant you the privilege of
    wearing only when you celebrate the Holy Mysteries.  We also grant
    you authority, under the abiding mercy of our Lord, to consecrate
    bishops as occasion may require... We are confident that you will
    maintain with whole-hearted sincerity this dignity granted you by
    the favour of the Apostolic See...

This is a relation of the cure of a little boy by King St.  Oswald:

    [one of the monks in a monastery says to a boy who is sick]: 'My
    boy, shall I tell you how you may be cured of this complaint?  Get
    up and go to Oswald's tomb in the church.  Remain there quietly and
    mind you don't stir from it until the time that your fever is due to
    leave you...'  The boy did as the brother advised, and while he sat
    by the saint's tomb the fever dared not touch him: further, it was
    so completely scared that it never recurred, either on the second or
    the third day, or ever after... But it need cause no surprise that
    the prayers of this king, who now reigns with God, should be
    acceptable to him....

The contents of just this one book by Bede are quite interesting.  There
is quite a eulogy on Pope St. Gregory the Great.  There is an
interesting account of a visit by the arch-cantor of Rome, who came to
teach ecclesiastical chant, and check to see if the heresy of Eutyches
had infected Britain.  The authority of the Roman See over Canterbury is
evident in numerous places; accounts of miracles are frequent.

There is an interesting episode where a man is captured in wartime and
put in chains.  His brother, a priest, presumed him dead and started
offering Masses for the repose of his soul.  Consequently, the chains
kept falling off the prisoner.  (!!!) When asked by his captors why this
was, the man replied that his brother was probably offering Masses for
him, and that, "were I now in another life, my soul would be freed from
its pains by his prayers."

There are miracles by means of relics, such as those of St. Cuthbert.
Etc.

[parts of the BCP related to Saints omitted]

The most notable thing about this part of the BCP is that never once is
a Saint invoked.  This is due to Reformation influence; the traditional
Christian liturgies (East and West) invoke the Saints.

    BCP Page 364 (The Breaking of the Bread):

    [Alleluia.]  Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us;
    Therefore let us keep the feast.  [Alleluia.]

[other passages from the BCP omitted]

There is nothing here not in keeping with Reformation theology.  A
comparison of the BCP and the Roman Mass which it replaced would make it
evident that the references to the Mass as a true and proper sacrifice
have been taken out.

[Prayers for the dead omitted.]

These imply a belief in Purgatory!  Yet on p. 872 (1977 edition), we
find in the historical documents section Article 22, the condemnation of
same (and the invocation of Saints, by the way).  Why pray for the dead,
then?

    I'd also like to note that the Book of Common Prayer honors the
    Blessed Virgin Mary with no less than four special feast days, to
    which is added several others in many places.

Great!

    petition.  Page 859 describes why the Eucharist is called a
    sacrifice, because the Eucharist, the Church's sacrifice of praise
    and thanksgiving, is the way by which the sacrifice of Christ is
    made present, and in which he unites us to his one offering of
    himself.  Pages 860-861 describe the Sacraments of

But you do not seem to realize: This is Protestant doctrine!  The
precise reason that the Anglican Reformers changed the liturgy was that
it did not express the Protestant faith.  Here are some words from some
of the first Anglicans:

    But all such priests as pretend to be Christ's successors in making
    a sacrifice of him, they be his most heinous and horrible
    adversaries...  all popish priests that presume to make every day a
    sacrifice of Christ, either must they needs make Christ's sacrifice
    vain, unperfect, and unsufficient, or else is their sacrifice in
    vain which is added t the sacrifice which is already of itself
    sufficient and perfect.  (Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury)

    I believe that the holy supper of the Lord is not a sacrifice, but
    only a remembrance and commemoration of this holy sacrifice of Jesus
    Christ.  ...Likewise I believe and confess that the popish Mass is
    an invention and ordinance of man, a sacrifice of Antichrist...
    (John Hooper, Bishop of Glouchester)

I do not think that there's even an argument whether the Anglican
Reformers broke with the traditions of their predecessors or not.  It's
mainly a matter of becoming informed from the historical sources.

Joe Buehler

steve@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Steve Mitchell) (07/02/90)

jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com writes:

>But leave the mission part of the definition.  The doctrinal part of
>apostolic succession is easier to discuss.  It seems that whenever this
>is brought up, there are Anglicans/Episcopalians claiming doctrinal
>continuity with their predecessors.  I am, as always, quite puzzled as
>to why.

>A primary part of my puzzlement is Anglican liturgy.  Well, to be fair,
>I shouldn't say Anglican, I should say Episcopalian.  The Episcopalians
>do not use the pre-Reformation liturgy.  The BCP studiously avoids
>prayers for the dead and the invocation of saints, and sacrifical
>language.  The old liturgies cannot be used, for that very reason.

>I have a copy of the Sarum proper for the late 1400's; it is almost
>identical to the Roman proper of the 1960's.  The differences in the
>canon have the appearance of typographical errors, nothing more.  An "in
>primis" vs. an "imprimis", a sentence split vs. a sentence whole, etc.

>Daniel, are you really claiming solidarity with the British hierarchy of
>the Middle Ages?

>Joe Buehler

Questions of Episcopal conformation with the old Sarum proper, or for
that matter with traditional catholic doctrine, were mightily confused
by decisions taken by the provincial synod of the Protestant Episcopal
Church of the United States of America (PECUSA) back around 1977.  At
that time the synod adopted a lot of new cannons, a new prayerbook
(the one you cite), and a _very_ liberal theology.  So liberal, in
fact, that those Episcopalians who wanted to remain faithful to the
Anglican catholic tradition found it necessary to separate themselves
from PECUSA and reconstitute themselves as the Anglican Catholic
Church (in America and Canada).  The ACC _does_ claim solidarity with
the British hierarchy of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.  It uses
a prayerbook (the 1929 edition of the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer)
which is based on the 1637 Scottish Book of Common Prayer, which was
based directly on the 1549 BCP written by Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop
of Canterbury under King Edward VI of England.  The ACC is basically
in agreement with most of the doctrines of the RCC, except some of the
recent additions like papal infailability and the very recent
elevation of the Immaculate Conception of Mary to dogma.
--
		-  Steve Mitchell	steve@cps.altadena.ca.us
					grian!steve@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

blosser@lrc.uucp (12/19/90)

What are the best available treatments of the question of apostolic
succession?  Anyone know some titles?

cms@gatech.edu (12/24/90)

In article <Dec.19.04.26.45.1990.28063@athos.rutgers.edu>, blosser@lrc.uucp writes:
> What are the best available treatments of the question of apostolic
> succession?  Anyone know some titles?

 There is an excellent article on the Apostolic Succession,
including Protestant objections and Catholic Scriptural responses to
those objections, in the context of Scriptural justification for the
Apostolic Succession as well as Traditional justification, in the
"Encyclopedia of Theology:  The Concise Sacramentum Mundi" edited by
Karl Rahner.  For a shorter description, see Rahner's "Dictionary of
Theology."  There are also several discussions of the origins of the
Apostolic Succession in the New Jerome Biblical Commentary.  It's also
discussed briefly in "Vatican II:  The Conciliar and Post Conciliar
Documents" general editor Austin Flannery, O.P.  For the Anglican
understanding, read Stanley's "The Catholic Religion."  Good sources
are Saint Thomas, Augustine, Irenaeus (not a saint in my book),
Tertullian, Hippolytus's "The Apostolic Tradition."  Another origin
book you might to look at is the Didache "The Teaching of the Lord
through the Twelve Apostles."  A book that describes the origins and
meanings pretty well is "Early Christian Doctrines" by J.N.D. Kelly.
The criteria of Apostolic continuity is discussed in some detail in
"The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition (100-600)", Volume I in a
series entitled "The Christian Tradition:  A History of the
Development of Doctrine."  Eusebius's "History of the Church" contains
many source documents no longer extant _describing_ the apostolic
succession with names.  There's one book "A History of Heresy" by
David Christie-Murray which discusses how the apostolic succession
developed as part of the apostolic tradition to safeguard the Church
against heresy.  There's "Early Christian Writings" and "Documents of
the Christian Church" which have original works by some of the Church
Fathers listed above.  For the Anglican understanding, you might want
to look at Marion J. Hatchett's "Commentary on the American Prayer
Book."  You have to hunt for references but it's an _excellent_ book
if you want to understand Christian theology in general expressed in
terms of the Book of Common Prayer and why we pray, preach, teach, and
do things the way we do.  As an Anglican, as I mentioned above, I
stand by Vernon Stanley's teachings, although not everyone agrees with
him in the Episcopal Church.  Nonetheless, as Stanley remarks in his
"The Catholic Religion," pages 16-17, "A Church stands or falls by the
apostolic succession."

--
                                   Sincerely,
Cindy Smith