[soc.religion.christian] Ahead of his time?

djdaneh@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) (01/03/91)

In article <Dec.24.17.28.15.1990.26769@athos.rutgers.edu> mtxinu!sybase!alf!maas@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Mike Maas) writes:
>In article <Thu Dec 20 22:18:04 PST 1990> Okeefe writes:
>>In article <Dec.11.00.55.17.1990.7476@athos.rutgers.edu>,
>>spock@maths.tcd.ie (Tommy Hayes (Thanks Dr.W.)) writes:

>>Because He _wasn't_ ahead of His time.  I am assured by a Jewish friend
	 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>He wasn't?  It would seem to me that he both was and remains ahead of his
>time in some very meaningful sense.

How about this:

He was not of the first Century A.D., nor of the Twentieth:  Jesus was for _all_
time, and so could not be _of_ any time; so He will always in some sense be
"ahead of His time," but really is _beyond_ any time.

This way of looking at it brought to you courtesy of Fulton Sheen's excellent
"Life of Christ," btw.

>The lessons he teaches are still every
>bit as applicable today as they were when he taught them.  Likewise, for just
>that reason we can also say that his lessons are always timely.

Please don't slip into the mistake the original poster made of thinking of
Jesus as 'just' a Teacher!  Jesus' life wasn't about what He taught; rather,
what He said was always about His life.

			Welcome to 1984!  Are you ready for the Third World War?
			You too will meet the Secret Police -- We'll draft you
			and jail your niece, so come quietly to Boot Camp.
			We'll shoot you dead, make you a man, but don't worry,
			it's for a _cause_...
				--Dead Kennedys "We've Got A Bigger Problem Now"

The Roach