[soc.religion.christian] Heaven & Hell...

psburns@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov (MAUREEN BURNS) (01/03/91)

Clarify something for me...
Where are the scriptural references that support such titles for Mary as
"Queen of Heaven" or "Queen of the Saints"?  No doubt that she was blessed
among women, but this elevation of status indicated by these royal titles
just puzzles me.
Maureen

[Lk. 1:42 could be taken as supporting at least some special role for
Mary, though perhaps that's stretching things.  But please remember
that Catholics do not consider the BIble the only source of Christian
truth.  They will challenge you just as much about why you *don't*
accept the traditions of the Church on this subject.  --clh]

cms@gatech.edu (01/07/91)

In article <Jan.3.03.55.05.1991.14123@athos.rutgers.edu>, psburns@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov (MAUREEN BURNS) writes:
> Clarify something for me...
> Where are the scriptural references that support such titles for Mary as
> "Queen of Heaven" or "Queen of the Saints"?  No doubt that she was blessed
> among women, but this elevation of status indicated by these royal titles
> just puzzles me.
> Maureen
>
> [Lk. 1:42 could be taken as supporting at least some special role for
> Mary, though perhaps that's stretching things.  But please remember
> that Catholics do not consider the BIble the only source of Christian
> truth.  They will challenge you just as much about why you *don't*
> accept the traditions of the Church on this subject.  --clh]

 Lk 1:48 also.  Indeed, the whole Magnificat.  For Queen of Heaven,
specifically, though, see Revelation 12 and the whole story about how
the woman gave birth to the Messiah.  Protestants and Catholics agree
that the woman is a reference to Israel who gives birth to the
Messiah.  Since Mary is the mother of the Messiah, Catholics believe
it seems natural to associate Mary with Israel, but for some reason
Protestants disagree.  At any rate, this passage also supports the
Assumption.  Various Pauline passages, besides James, speak of the
faithful receiving from God the crown of life.  The Fifth Glorious
Mystery of the Dominican Rosary (7th Joyful Franciscan) emphasizes
Mary's Crowning, although the full name of the Mystery is "The
Crowning of All Saint including the Blessed Virgin Mary" or some
variation thereof.  Calling Mary "Queen of Heaven and Earth" is
therefore a reference to Mary's subordinate position as first of all
the saints.  Keep in mind that this metaphor was in usage long before
queens typically had power in their own right.  The medieval image is
one of a queen who receives all of her power from the King and has no
more power than that.  Why is she first?  Mary was the first person to
give birth to the Messiah but not the last.  As a baptized Christian,
I too have given birth to the Messiah in the power of the Holy Spirit.
We are called to imitate Mary's example and work with the Spirit who
has given birth to Christ within us.  This image primarily comes from
the Gospel of John and Johannine epistles, although Paul also speaks
more vaguely of having died to Christ and now living for Christ.  At
any rate, it isn't the intent of the Church to equate Mary's queenship
with the Kingship of God; it's simply a metaphor.

--
                                   Sincerely,
Cindy Smith