[soc.religion.christian] concordance search

blais@emx.utexas.edu (Donald E. Blais) (01/03/91)

Kassis, Hanna E.
A concordance of the Qur'an
Berkeley, 1983

This concordance is keyed to the Arabic roots, in Latin transcription,
of words found in the Qur'an.  The passages in which a root occurs are
then quoted using a particular English translation of the Qur'an.  It
is therefore easy to find all words formed from the Arabic root "NFS"
without knowing ahead of time which English word has been chosen in
translation at each instance.  An index of English words is included
at the end of the volume.

I have been unable to find a biblical concordance that is similarly
keyed to the original languages--Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic.  Does such
exist?  The commonly available biblical concordances sometimes have
an index or glossary to the original languages but are keyed to the
English words of a selected translation.  With these, it is easy to
find occurrences of the English word "soul" but difficult to find
all occurrences of the Hebrew root "NPSh".

garyh@crash.cts.com (Gary Hipp) (01/09/91)

In article <Jan.3.04.36.55.1991.14651@athos.rutgers.edu> blais@emx.utexas.edu (Donald E. Blais) writes:
>Kassis, Hanna E.
>A concordance of the Qur'an
>Berkeley, 1983
>

>I have been unable to find a biblical concordance that is similarly
>keyed to the original languages--Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic.  Does such
>exist?  The commonly available biblical concordances sometimes have

There is a Greek one for the NT put out by Winters, but I can't tell
you more than that now.  I'm sure your local Christian bookstore can
find it.

gary

dcm@apple.com (Dale Mead) (01/09/91)

In article <Jan.3.04.36.55.1991.14651@athos.rutgers.edu>
blais@emx.utexas.edu (Donald E. Blais) writes:
> I have been unable to find a biblical concordance that is similarly
> keyed to the original languages--Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic.  Does such
> exist?
I think what you want is The New Englishman's Hebrew (Greek) Concordance.
 My reprint is from Hendrickson at $39.95 for the Hebrew and $34.95 for
the Greek.   Both permit you to search on particular original language
words and see the KJV translation.  Of course, there are several other
concordances that are straight Hebrew or Greek without showing the
translation.