[soc.religion.christian] Scofield

bobc@hrcca.att.com (Robert V Kemp) (12/25/90)

Does anyone have any experience with or comments on the
Scofield Reference Bible?  I have been using one (NIV) for my
Bible studies recently and find it's annotations very
interesting.  I consider myself a Fundamentalist
(non-denominational, still searching) and wonder if the
Scofield doctrine is accepted by most Fundamentalists.

Thanks,

Bob Kemp
..!att!hrcca!bobc
Robert.V.Kemp@ATT.COM

[The Scofield Reference Bible was one of the main ways in which
dispensational premillenialism was spread in the U.S.  This is
certainly a common view among "fundamentalists", so I think you'd find
that most fundamentalists would consider Scofield acceptable even if
they didn't agree with it.  But its view is by no means unanimous.  I
believe most fundamentalists accept that there are multiple theories
of eschatology, and that holding to one specific theory is not
essential to orthodoxy.  An annotated Bible such as Scofield can be
useful if you accept its viewpoint, or are interested in looking at
how those holding its viewpoint deal with specific passages.  But you
need to understand that it's written from a particular perspective.
The same is obviously true of other annotated Bibles, e.g. the Oxford
annotated RSV (which by the way will be out for the NRSV in Feb,
1991), which presents a concensus of "critical" scholarship, and the
New Jerusalem Bible, which presents a critical Catholic view.  (I'm
basing this discussion on comments on Scofield in the Dictionary of
Christianity in America, not on personal expereicne with Scofield.  My
own views are very far from Scofield's.)  --clh]

garyh@crash.cts.com (Gary Hipp) (01/07/91)

In article <Dec.25.01.11.33.1990.4712@athos.rutgers.edu> bobc@hrcca.att.com (Robert V Kemp) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with or comments on the
>Scofield Reference Bible?  I have been using one (NIV) for my
>Bible studies recently and find it's annotations very
>interesting.  I consider myself a Fundamentalist
>(non-denominational, still searching) and wonder if the
>Scofield doctrine is accepted by most Fundamentalists.

Scofield is still accepted in Fundamental circles, especially
Fundamental Baptist.  Personally, I like the Ryrie Study Bible even
though I don't agree with all it's annotations either.  The thing
about the comments is that sooner or later they make you lazy and you
stop searching the scriptures for yourself.  Read the notes as a
commentary.

Gary

mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire) (01/09/91)

I have both the Old Scofield (1917 edition) and the New Scofield
(1967 edition) Reference Bibles.  I use them frequently. The Old
Scofield was the only Bible my dad used for years.  He wore out
at least 5 of them.  The New Scofield made changes to the AV 1611
text, and so he never bought one.

>>...I have been using one (NIV) for my
>>Bible studies recently and find it's annotations very
>>interesting.  I consider myself a Fundamentalist
>>(non-denominational, still searching) and wonder if the
>>Scofield doctrine is accepted by most Fundamentalists.

Your NIV edition has essentially the same notes as the New Scofield.
The editorial committee is almost a "Who's Who" among Fundamentalist
scholars -- E. Schuyler English, F. E. Gaebelein, William Culbertson,
Alva J. McClain, Wilbur M. Smith, and John Walvoord.  These men were
very much respected among the dispensation wing of Fundamentalism --
usually characteristic of the moderate Moody Bible Institute and
Dallas Theological Seminary, but also including more "militant"
(to use George Dollar's characterization) institutions such as
Bob Jones University, or Baptist Bible College.  The Fundamentalists
(I'm using the traditional sense of the word, not the mass media
definition) are mostly dispensational.  The original Scofield Bible's
influence is probably one reason that they are.

>Scofield is still accepted in Fundamental circles, especially
>Fundamental Baptist.  Personally, I like the Ryrie Study Bible even
>though I don't agree with all it's annotations either.

Ryrie is (or was) a member of the faculty of Dallas Seminary, so he has
the same dispensational perspective as Scofield.

>The thing about the comments is that sooner or later they make you lazy
>and you stop searching the scriptures for yourself.  Read the notes as a
>commentary.

I can say a hearty "Amen!" to this.  If you want a reference Bible that
will complement your Scofield, I would recommend the Thompson Chain Reference
Bible.  It has no footnotes, but has extensive crossreferences and many
unique helps in the back.  Also, make sure you have a good concordance.
(Strong's, Young's, and Cruden's UNABRIDGED are all satisfactory. [Strong's
for the Strong, Young's for the young, ... Cruden's for the crude ;-) ])
The important thing about a concordance is it lets you find the passages
you need to compare scripture with scripture.

Well, I've been behind my "bully pulpit" enough for one morning.  Hope these
brief comments help.

Tim McGuire
mcguire@cs.tamu.edu

bobc@hrcca.att.com (Robert V Kemp) (01/15/91)

>>The thing about the comments is that sooner or later they make you lazy
>>and you stop searching the scriptures for yourself.  Read the notes as a
>>commentary.
> I can say a hearty "Amen!" to this.  If you want a reference Bible that
> will complement your Scofield, I would recommend the Thompson Chain Reference
> Bible.  It has no footnotes, but has extensive crossreferences and many
> unique helps in the back.  Also, make sure you have a good concordance.

I am the original poster of this thread and yes, these comments have helped.
Before purchasing my Scofield NIV I used a Thompson NIV for about five
years.  I started to feel that I needed more information than I was
getting, but didn't want to burden myself with a single or multi-volume
commentary.  The amount of notes in Scofield are just about right and
I agree with _most_ of them.  I was mostly concerned with the
acceptance of the notes by fundamental or conservative Christianity.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Bob Kemp
AT&T
..!att!hrcca!bobc