[soc.religion.christian] Baptism & Salvation

watson@uunet.uu.net (Steve Watson) (01/15/91)

In article <Jan.6.22.59.25.1991.22827@athos.rutgers.edu> the Moderator writes:

>[In all fairness, I don't know of any Baptists who claim people
>baptized as infants are damned.  --clh]

The Church of Christ, who are 'baptist' (i.e. adult immersion, as opposed to
child sprinkling pouring, etc.) in doctrine, say that unless you are immersed
as an adult, you cannot be saved.  At least, I heard this from several
clergy-men; they have no formal mechanism for enforcing orthodoxy.

And they wonder why I don't go there no more... :-(

Presently we are in a paedo-baptist church (technical term for child baptism).
We did not have either of our babies baptized, not because of specific
objections to the practice, but because we felt that if this rite has any
meaning, they should experience that meaning for themselves.  Last year
our then-5-yr-old expressed a belief and love for Jesus, and a desire to
be baptized.  Since, in our opinion, he was expressing a faith appropriate
to his understanding, we allowed it.  Our minister was delighted.
--
| Steve Watson             Disclaimer: Blame me, not the Company I keep...  |