[soc.religion.christian] On Christian vs Public Schools

kriz@skat.usc.edu (Dennis Kriz) (01/09/91)

Recently Roger Black provided a list of examples supporting the contention
that it has become legitimate to ridicule/harass Christians and Christian
beliefs in public schools.

Indeed, for my part I would say that the discussion of religion in public
schools has been so curtailed in this generation, that public school
officials have had to start rewriting history in order to avoid the subject.

The Pilgrims who landed at Plymouth Rock, were simply not merely "travelers"
as is the PC line taught to our kids.  Instead, they were a religious group
that crossed the Atlantic ocean to settle here because they were persecuted
for their religious convictions at home.

But beyond, this (at times) Orwellian attempt to rewrite history, I think
that we should begin to honestly face the conclusion that "value-neutral"
education just doesn't work.

To teenage pregnancy and AIDS a value-neutral State can only passout the
condoms, provide abortion on demand, and provide disposable syringes to
drug abusers.  Perhaps the State really can't do more.

But then parents should begin to realize this, and start pulling their
kids out of such an environment and try to provide their kids with a real
education that will help get them through life without them having to suffer
such personal calamities.

But "that will cost money". Perhaps, but in LA I continue to be astounded
how even the poorest of Hispanic families can put their kids through
Catholic schools.

There is a lesson in that I believe.  Private Christian education, while
not free, CAN BE PROVIDED FOR JUST ABOUT EVERYONE.  Though it takes,
what these efforts always have required ... that Christians with plenty
to sacrifice a bit of what they have for Christians (and others) who
don't.

But then that's been the point of Christian charity (certainly from the
view of those making the donations of money and time) all along.

dennis
kriz@skat.usc.edu

wagner@karazm.math.uh.edu (David Wagner) (01/16/91)

In article <Jan.9.02.34.47.1991.2495@athos.rutgers.edu> kriz@skat.usc.edu (Dennis Kriz) writes:

>There is a lesson in that I believe.  Private Christian education, while
>not free, CAN BE PROVIDED FOR JUST ABOUT EVERYONE.  Though it takes,
>what these efforts always have required ... that Christians with plenty
>to sacrifice a bit of what they have for Christians (and others) who
>don't.

I'd like to endorse everything Dennis said in his article, and relate some
of my own experience.  My two daughters attend a Lutheran school in far
west Houston.  No tuition is charged at this school, although there are
some fees for registration and books.  The school is supported totally
by offerings.  The only requirement for enrollment is that
1.  The family should not be actively involved in a church outside our
    fellowship, and

2.  The parents must support the christian education of their children.
    Parents of newly-enrolled children who are not members of a church
    within our fellowship are expected to take a course in christian
    doctrine.

At present the school has 22 students in grades K-5, and one teacher.  My
wife spends about three full days per week helping out (without compensation).
The school could probably hire more teachers if tuition was charged, or if
the church simply required tithing.  But it is contrary to Lutheran beliefs
to require a tithe; our first interest is in people's souls and not their
money.  In this particular congregation similar reasons appear to rule out
tuition.

A good number of the students come from families that have been through
divorce or other troubles.  Some have failed in the public schools, but
have managed to learn something in this Lutheran school.  Most of them
score low in cognitive ability but above their potential on achievement tests.
(My daughters test the other way around).  But most important, these
children are fed the Gospel on a regular basis; they know who their Savior
is.

Unfortunately, because my oldest daughter is now in the fifth grade, she will
be attending a public middle school next year.  This might be quite a shock
for her and us.  In addition, in order to preserve my wife's sanity, our
youngest daughter will also attend public school.  It is hoped this will
minimize our transportation headaches.  I particulartly hate to do this
to our youngest daughter because her favorite subject is 'Word of God'.
However both our children have received a very good start in their
christian education, and the end of christian school is, (we hope)
not the end of christian education.

I genuinely believe that Christian education can work, even in very small
schools.  The intensity of education at this age is not as important as
simply learning the basics.  It is not so important how fast one learns the
easy subjects; what really matters (aside from believing the Gospel) is how
far one goes into the difficult subjects.

It is important to have well-trained teachers.  I do not think that state
certification requirements have a helpful role to play in this matter; I am
suspicious of anti-christian influences coming from state regulation.
Ultimately the parents must bear the responsibility for the quality of
education they choose for their children.

David H. Wagner
a confessional Lutheran.
			"I live in loving life
			You live in humming life.
			We both live in the same world.
			So we both are living in loving life and humming life.
			It only took a week to make the world."

			--Katherine Grace Wagner
			(at age 6 years, 10 months)

My opinions and beliefs on this matter are disclaimed by
The University of Houston.

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (01/22/91)

+
+Indeed, for my part I would say that the discussion of religion in public
+schools has been so curtailed in this generation, that public school
+officials have had to start rewriting history in order to avoid the subject.

Of course on the other hand, Christian schools waste no time on
presenting non-Christian traditions in a un-biased light. (Of course
that is a generalization). My question for those who what the
Christian view presented in Public Schools is this "What form of
Christianity do you wish presented?"

In my daughter's Public School she was presented with the fact that the
Pilgrims were Separatists.  What were they? They believed that a great
amount of paganism was brought into the True Church which had to be
irradicated. Who brought the paganism in??; The Roman Church. Why did they
come to the colonies? Because they had made enemies of many other branches of
protestantism as well as the Roman Church. How was Rhode Island
started?? Because Roger Williams didn't agree with the Mass. group.

And so on for the brotherhood of Christ.

--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu