[soc.religion.christian] Should Christians date Non-Christians

jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) (12/19/90)

There has been a hot debate over hear about this topic.
I'm not talking about whether Christians should MARRY non-Christians.
That's been talked to death. And I'm not talking about the friendly-platonic
type of date. I'm talking about dating for the purpose of romance.

I mean should Christians DATE ( whatever that means ) non-Christians ?

Half of the people here say no because romance involves strong emotions
that we with our weak faith will have difficulty in controlling. And so
we would be more open to the suggestion of sin.

Half of the people here say its okay because no real harm can come of it
and its a great way to meet new people.

Don't tell me to "pray and God will help you resist temptation" because
sometimes God sees it fit to allow some to compromise their faith for
the sake of their SO.

^>*<^ Jmoon

hammer@sp29.csrd.uiuc.edu (David Hammerslag) (12/24/90)

In article <Dec.19.04.58.52.1990.28756@athos.rutgers.edu>, jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) writes:

>I mean should Christians DATE ( whatever that means ) non-Christians ?
>
>Don't tell me to "pray and God will help you resist temptation" because
>sometimes God sees it fit to allow some to compromise their faith for
>the sake of their SO.

When my wife and I started to date, she was a Christian and I was not.
Now we are Christians together.  While I can't say that I wouldn't
have become a Christian without her influence, neither can I say that
I would have.

One side note:  she did not "compromise" her faith, instead she helped
dispell my notion that Christian == hypocrite.

David Hammerslag            | Keep an open mind, but not so open that people
hammer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu | throw garbage in.

uriel@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Scott Whitmore) (12/24/90)

In article <Dec.19.04.58.52.1990.28756@athos.rutgers.edu>, jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) writes:
>I mean should Christians DATE ( whatever that means ) non-Christians ?

I guess it depends what you mean by "date."  If you mean "go out with,
have lunch with, see an occasional movie or have an occasional drink with,"
then Yes, of course, if you're so inclined.  Christ went to a dinner party
thrown by a tax collector, and made friends of prostitutes and thieves.  Being
social is okay unless the person in question has proven him/herself to be
poisonous to you.  Non-Christian friends can be led to Christ through you.

If you mean by "date," "get involved in a fairly serious relationship with,"
I'd have to say No.  One of the prereq's of such a relationship should always
be that you ought to be FRIENDS with the person before trying to make him/her
a S.O.!  And, it's hard (for me at least) to really relate to non-Christians
on a sufficiently deep basis.  Plus there's always the possibility that the
non-Christian partner will initiate untimely sexual activity.  (One would hope
that the Christian would show restraint... though that's often an unrealistic
expectation... depends on the person.)

You who think the above is totally off-base, are free to ignore it!

>^>*<^ Jmoon

Scott

--
Scott Whitmore         Internet: uriel@maple.circa.ufl.edu
24-510 Tolbert Hall	      or uriel@maple.decnet%pine.circa.ufl.edu

brendan@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) (12/24/90)

For the purposes of debate I exclude dating for recreational sex as a
reasonable Christian activity. If you think otherwise the question is
fairly trivial, or else wildly dogmatic.

In <Dec.19.04.58.52.1990.28756@athos.rutgers.edu> jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) writes:

>There has been a hot debate over hear about this topic.
>I'm not talking about whether Christians should MARRY non-Christians.

I think the questions are heavily related. I make no judgement on that
matter, but review the possibilities.

	don't marry => don't romance

You are simply asking for trouble to get into a heavy romance whilst
denying the possibility of marriage.

	can marry

This is the more interesting situation. Dating non-Christians can
obviously lead to lots of emotional and moral turmoil. There are people
out there who will make romantic life difficult for a christian. That
fact that it is usually call sex life says it all. Still is seems to me
that if you believe God may call you to marry a non-christian then you
should remain open to the possibility and follow the romantic leads you
are offered. I expect most people would find life easier with a fellow
Christian, of the same denomination even, but then God is not always
about making our life easy.

--
Brendan Mahony                   | brendan@batserver.cs.uq.oz
Department of Computer Science   | heretic: someone who disgrees with you

geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) (12/24/90)

jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) writes:
>There has been a hot debate over hear about this topic.
>I'm not talking about whether Christians should MARRY non-Christians.
>That's been talked to death. And I'm not talking about the friendly-platonic
>type of date. I'm talking about dating for the purpose of romance.
>
>I mean should Christians DATE ( whatever that means ) non-Christians ?

Well, most marriages that I know of started with dates.

>sometimes God sees it fit to allow some to compromise their faith for
>the sake of their SO.

Should you really compromise your faith *willfully* (which is what you
seem to be saying you'd be doing if you dated a non-Christian).

I'd say play it safe and only date Christians.  (Some of us are actually
worth marrying, you know.  Just ask my wife. :^) )

--
Geoff Allen          \  Since we live by the Spirit,
uunet!pmafire!geoff   \  let us keep in step with the Spirit.

kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) (12/25/90)

In article <Dec.19.04.58.52.1990.28756@athos.rutgers.edu>, jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) writes:
> There has been a hot debate over hear about this topic.
> I'm not talking about whether Christians should MARRY non-Christians.
> That's been talked to death. And I'm not talking about the friendly-platonic
> type of date. I'm talking about dating for the purpose of romance.
> I mean should Christians DATE ( whatever that means ) non-Christians ?

The answer I think depends on your motive.  If you are witnessing
to this person about the love of Christ, the God given love needed
in order to make a relationship work, then I would say yes.

After all, my wife wasn't a Christian when we met.  She thought
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were Adam's sons.  She now is a
discussion leader in Bible Study Fellowship.  He's the best thing
that ever happened to her.  We need not deprive our dates of
such an introduction.

--
  Kenneth J. Kutz		  Internet 	kutz@andy.bgsu.edu
  Systems Programmer		  BITNET   	KUTZ@ANDY

svinson@dcsc.dla.mil (Sondra L. Vinson) (01/03/91)

believe so.  My boyfriend and I dated for 4 years and he was not a Christian
However, he treated me with the utmost respect both mentally/physically.
Because of this I believe of relationship grew out of pure love because of
me being the way I was he too came to know the goodness and love of what
I believe in and to this day we are still together (as husband and wife)

Hope this helped

svm

garyh@crash.cts.com (Gary Hipp) (01/07/91)

>>There has been a hot debate over hear about this topic.

Weren't you taught not to play with fire?

>that if you believe God may call you to marry a non-christian then you
>should remain open to the possibility and follow the romantic leads you
>are offered. I expect most people would find life easier with a fellow
>Christian, of the same denomination even, but then God is not always
>about making our life easy.

God will never call you to marry a non-Christian unless you are one.

Gary

vanm@col.hp.com (Van Martin) (01/09/91)

> There has been a hot debate over hear about this topic.
> I'm not talking about whether Christians should MARRY non-Christians.
> That's been talked to death. And I'm not talking about the friendly-platonic
> type of date. I'm talking about dating for the purpose of romance.
> I mean should Christians DATE ( whatever that means ) non-Christians ?

 A thought I was presented with some time ago begins with Question 1 of the
"Shorter Catechism" which asks:  "What is the chief end of Man?"  The
answer is "To glorify God and enjoy Him forever."  Questions to ask ourselves
in relation to romance and dating might be "Will this person help me to
glorify God?  Will I enhance his/her relationship to God?  Will this person
impede my relationship to God?"

 When considering "dating" as more than a social how-do-you-do type of
thing, the end in mind may very well be marriage (which we do have pretty
good guidelines for in Scripture).  The uneven yoking of oneself to an
unbeliever, even in dating, can be unwise.  It is not the behavior that
determines what is right and wrong, but the spirit (motive) of the thought.

 Praise God that we have Romans 8:28 to take care of all the times we refused
to operate in obedience to His call!  There are many who became Christians
as a result of a saved spouse, but there are also a lot of lagging believers
who did not believe God was serious about being unequally yoked.

 The unbeliever is *not* interested in glorifying God!  We see that so clearly
in Scripture.  When considering a date, consider the glory of God in that
relationship.  As it says in I Cor. 7:16, "Wife, how do you know whether you
will save your husband?  Husband, how do you know whether you will save your
wife?"  It stretches a bit to say this applies to dating, but, as someone
earlier noted, most marriages begin with dates.  To me, dating unbelievers
was playing with fire.  I dated one for 2 years and grew more distant from
my Lord each day of that relationship.  Hope this helps.

Van Martin (new to notes outside my company--don't know my address)
Electrical Engineer for Hewlett-Packard Co., Colo. Spgs., Colorado
vanm@hpcspc.col.hp.com

P.S.  Pushing interpretation to the limit, in Haggai 2:11-14 it says
 "'Thus says the LORD of hosts:  Ask the priests to decide this
  question, "If one carries holy flesh in the skirt of his garment,
  and touches with his skirt bread, or pottage, or wine, or oil, or
  any kind of food, does it become holy?"'  The priests answered, 'No.'
  Then said Haggai, 'If one who is unclean by contact with a dead body
  touches any of these, does it become unclean?'  The priests answered
  'It does become unclean.'  Then Haggai said, 'So is it with this
  people, and with this nation before me, says the LORD ...'"

We will not make our dates "clean" by virtue of our salvation, but, as in
the case of Israel, sanctification can be hindered by following their
lead (away from God).  End of Bible-stretching exercise :-)

oracle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Brian T. Coughlin) (01/09/91)

Re: Gary Hipp
In article <Jan.6.22.41.42.1991.22484@athos.rutgers.edu>,
 garyh@crash.cts.com (Gary Hipp) writes in response to
 [someone]:

>>that if you believe God may call you to marry a non-christian then you
>>should remain open to the possibility and follow the romantic leads you
>>are offered. I expect most people would find life easier with a fellow
>>Christian, of the same denomination even, but then God is not always
>>about making our life easy.

>God will never call you to marry a non-Christian unless you are one.

  Hi, Gary!

   I must take exception, here. My father is a devout Catholic, and my
 mother is Jewish (not an active one as such, but certainly not a
 Christian). The marriage is still strong, and I'm quite strong in
 my (Catholic) faith, to the point that I'm entering a Catholic
 seminary in the fall of '91. (I just got my acceptance letter! Yay!!  :)  )

   My mother, in fact, was the person to TAKE me to CCD and mass every Sunday
 during certain months when my father couldn't. She was/is of the firm belief
 that if we were Catholic, then we should be serious about being Catholic.
 That attitude doesn't strike me as one that's particularly dangerous to
 Christianity. My father WAS "called" (as such) to marry my Jewish mother,
 and our whole family is better for it.

   I hope this helps!

----
   Take care!

   Sincerely,     Brian Coughlin
                  oracle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

benning@uunet.uu.net (01/09/91)

In article <Jan.3.04.01.27.1991.14367@athos.rutgers.edu>, svinson@dcsc.dla.mil (Sondra L. Vinson) writes:
> believe so.  My boyfriend and I dated for 4 years and he was not a Christian
> However, he treated me with the utmost respect both mentally/physically.
> Because of this I believe of relationship grew out of pure love because of
> me being the way I was he too came to know the goodness and love of what
> I believe in and to this day we are still together (as husband and wife)

   I'm glad this worked out. It isn't always the norm though.

  I'm not so sure that Christians should date non-Christians. I know of
  Two men who now date non-Christians. Each week they are pulled further
  from the Lord and the Brothers and Sisters. When I speak to them they
  cry their eyes out about how much they love their perspective mates, but
  they know they can't make a move toward marriage because this would put
  a great strain on them.

  Speaking for myself, My wife and I were strictly secular when we got
  married. She is Jewish, I was an atheist. After  1.5 years we began
  to have problems (as is usually the case). While trying to prove the
  BIBLE wrong because of an evanelist, I found myself believing, an coming
  to the Lord. It has been 5 plus years now and I can't explain over the
  newsgroup the pain I have endured through the years because my wife has
  said "either me or Him.." I have always picked Him and this creates an
  even greater problem. But the Lords grace has been there to help and where
  I should have been divorced numerous times, I'm still married. Jesus is that
  third party in our marriage who helps us through ALL things. But when It
  comes to doing the Lords work, much of the time I have to clear it through
  my wife.

  Would I recommend this to anyone? NO WAY!!!

  Believe the Bible when it says don't be unequally yoked. To do otherwise
  will have consequences.

  SPEAKING IN love,

  B. Benning
_________________

gt1104c@prism.gatech.edu (SILVERT,STANLEY DAVID JR) (01/09/91)

In article <Jan.6.22.41.42.1991.22484@athos.rutgers.edu> garyh@crash.cts.com (Gary Hipp) writes:

>God will never call you to marry a non-Christian unless you are one.
>
>Gary

I give the example of my grandparents.  When they were married, my grandmother
was the daughter of a Baptist minister and my grandfather was a practicing Jew.
As their marriage progressed, my granfather was converted to Christianity.  He
is now a deacon in his church in Florida that both grandparents helped to found.
There is no doubt in my mind that that God was calling my grandmother to marry
my grandfather and I'm sure glad they did so that I could be here.  Gary needs
to do some long hard thinking before he starts telling us what God will and
will not do.

--
Stan Silvert
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt1104c

mib@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (01/09/91)

In article <Jan.6.22.41.42.1991.22484@athos.rutgers.edu> garyh@crash.cts.com (Gary Hipp) writes:

   >that if you believe God may call you to marry a non-christian then you
   >should remain open to the possibility and follow the romantic leads you
   >are offered. I expect most people would find life easier with a fellow
   >Christian, of the same denomination even, but then God is not always
   >about making our life easy.

   God will never call you to marry a non-Christian unless you are one.

   Gary

Well, and there you have it, folks.  Gary has assured us that this
dilemma will never happen to us, unless, of course, we aren't *really*
Christians at all.  Thanks, Gary.  Why not deal with the issue head on
instead of making blank assertions like this?

--
    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,

art@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Art Mulder) (01/15/91)

  (Gary Hipp) writes:

>God will never call you to marry a non-Christian unless you are one.
>
>Gary

  I've seen a lot of articles that took exception to the above statement.  I
think that by now I've read 3 or 4 "but look at this couple and how well it
worked out for them" stories.  That's great, and we should praise God for
that.
  However my first reaction to stories like that would be to regard them as
instances when God, in his infinite mercy, has taken a bad situation and
made it work out for good.  This does not change the fact that the original
action was a sin, and therefore we should actively discourage others from
pursuing that path.
  For example, in Genesis, when Josephs brothers beat him and sold him into
slavery, that was wrong.  However like Joseph said years later (after he
had be made overseer over all Egypt) in Genesis 50:20 "...you meant evil
against me, but God meant it for good..."(RSV)  This doesn't change that
what Josephs brothers did to him was wrong, it just shows how God can turn a
wrongful act into a blessing, if he so chooses.

  Sure your spouse might come to the Lord.  But, they might not, and
consider the potential pain and struggles if they don't.

Arguments/discussion welcome.
...art
--
-----------
Art Mulder, McMaster University                  art@maccs.DCSS.mcmaster.ca

davidh@tektronix.tek.com (David L Hatcher) (01/15/91)

> I mean should Christians DATE ( whatever that means ) non-Christians ?

  Well, I wouldn't call me a "non-Christian", though I sure do not
  call Christianity the spiritual tradition that I follow. But, I
  am married to a "Christian". So I think that ought to qualify me
  in submitting a post to this thread.

  My marriage is quite good. In fact, I feel it is much better than
  many of our friends where both are Christians. And we are celebrating
  our 10 year anniversary in March. We are very, very happy together.
  We even sometimes kid each other on how alive our marrage is.

  I've been asked many times by different people if we are having
  trouble because of our differing spiritual paths.. It is a common
  question. I feel that there are several reasons why our marriage
  working, even though we follow different spiritual traditions.

  The first and perhaps most important is that neither of us try
  to convert the other. We don't even feel the need to. We also are
  each able to see the blessings God has given us, and together
  praise God. Which than allows us some time to be together in
  worship. We both know that God is very much in our lives. And,
  together, we often give thanks for that.

  There was a time where we did hit some rough spots. Mostly
  because Christianity has a way of being most unforgiving to
  folks who are not Christian. But that has been worked out
  because my wife has been able to see God in my life, even
  though I am not a Christian. And I have made it a point to
  go to Bible study sometimes with her. I've gotten to know
  her minister quite well now. And even have taken him to the
  Trappist Abby where I often go on retreat. So, all of these
  things have helped sidetrack the doubt that she might have felt.

  One last thing. I've been reading the postings related to this
  subject and I really feel a sort of anguish at some of the
  excuses I've seen for a Christian to not marry a non-Christian.
  They remind me of an occasion a few years ago when I came
  to a new job, and right off a Christian flat out told me that
  we could never be good friends because I was not Christian.

  To me, the open heart love of one living in Christ ought to
  cut right through such divisions as those caused by the outer
  form of religion. I just do not understand the need of so
  many Christians to cause separation like they do. It seems
  so un-Christ like!

	David Hatcher

joseph@cs.albany.edu (Jody Richardson) (01/16/91)

So far the discussion has basically followed the format of
previous discussions on this topic that I have participated in.
That is, detractors of dating non-Christians cite examples of
failed relationships (either pre or post-marriage failures) AND
scripture.  Advocates cite examples of successful relationships.
Get the point?

In case you don't...

God is the ultimate transmogrifyer.  He can change anything for
good.  In this case, relationships that begin with incompatible
world views.  I have no doubt that occassionally
Christian/non-Christian combinations are successful (in the sense
that the non-Christian spouse becomes a Christian or more
liberally, that there is no divorce).  But you should be very,
very, VERY careful.  My impression is that there are MANY more
Christians who drift away from the Lord because of these
relationships than there are non-Christians who become saved.

Of all the mixed relationship examples that I've heard, Tim
Roeder's personal example (from an earlier posting) is, IMO, the
closest to the appropriate way to approach a potentially
permanent relationship with a non-Christian (or another Christian
for that matter).  Mainly in the way that he prayed so much
beforehand.  Many (most) of the examples I hear do not include
this.  Mostly it's just two people "in love" and the Christian is
not truly willing to consider God's point of view because they
just want the other person SO MUCH.  So praying about it or
considering the counsel of other Christians is all but forgotten.

Bottom line,...  It's just too dangerous.  Paul knew what he was
talking about.  So, unless you think you're a prophet
extrodinaire like Hosea, don't even think about parking there.

Jody Richardson       | "If you don't get a goodnight kiss, you
joseph@cs.albany.edu  |  get Kafka dreams." -- Hobbes

jfields@aixvi2.intel.com (01/22/91)

In article <Jan.15.04.49.14.1991.12873@athos.rutgers.edu> art@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Art Mulder) writes:
>In article <Jan.6.22.41.42.1991.22484@athos.rutgers.edu> garyh@crash.cts.com
>  (Gary Hipp) writes:
>>
>>God will never call you to marry a non-Christian unless you are one.
>>
>>Gary
>
>  I've seen a lot of articles that took exception to the above statement.  I
>think that by now I've read 3 or 4 "but look at this couple and how well it
>worked out for them" stories.  That's great, and we should praise God for
>that.
>  However my first reaction to stories like that would be to regard them as
>instances when God, in his infinite mercy, has taken a bad situation and
>made it work out for good.  This does not change the fact that the original
>action was a sin, and therefore we should actively discourage others from
>pursuing that path.

The operative "we" in the last clause of this last statement has no right
or authority to actively disuade a Christian from seeking the company of
anyone, regardless of religion. Who are "we" to discern the sins of others
when those sins do not directly affect "us"? On what basis can "we" make
the determination that a brother or sister is sinning by an act or acts
when that act or acts do not concern "us". In other words, "we" should
mind our own business.

The confession and repentence of sin  is between God and the individual,
or in some cases between a confessor, God and the individual. If the
individual has transgressed against himself, then God will make that
apparent to the individual through the Holy Spirit.

How can "we" discern that God did not call a Christian to date a non-Christian
or that such an act is a sin?
If the early Christians had taken the attitude that Christians could not
seek the company of the unconverted, then Christianity would have died as
an obscure cult in the First Century AD because there would have been
no converts to Christianity.

-Jeff Fields

EFL0@ns.cc.lehigh.edu (Edward Francis Lamb) (01/23/91)

But marriage is not just another relationship.  It is the union of two
people to become one.  This has nothing to do with loving someone.  It
has everything to do with loving God.  If scripture says we shouldn't
do something, then we shouldn't do this.  It's stated in 2 Cor 6:14+

  "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers.  For what do
righteousness and wickedness have in common?  Or what fellowship can
light have with darkness?  What harmony is there between Christ and
Belial?  What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?  What
agreement is there between the temple of God and idols?  For we are the
temple of the living God." (NIV)

  OK.  This statement is clear.  One can always disobey, and God may,
through His grace, allow a good situation to be there.  But now
someone's argument is with the Bible, so I won't proceed.  Remember, if
God did not allow good to happen to sinners, we'd all be in trouble.

  Now, about dating non-Christians.  First you have to define dating.
If dating is just a means for friendship, fine.  But if dating is a
means for finding a spouse, or finding what you don't want in a spouse,
it is clear to me that since there is already a basis for no
intermarriage, then there can be no dating of non-Christians in this
context.  Seeing how pure God wanted his people to be in the Old
Testament (as far as marrying outside the tribe, etc.), I think it is
safe to say that since He never changes, it has to be that way now.
But, as with every other choice we have, we can disobey.  This has come
up in our fellowship here at Lehigh, and I have looked into this and
talked to people about this.

                                          Ed Lamb

   Ed Lamb                               .387 aversage
   Catcher                                 53 homeruns
   Philadelphia Phillies                  157 runs batted in
   National League MVP                     67 stolen bases
   World Series MVP

  --Hey, I can dream, can't I ??????