[net.lan] TCP/IP for VAX VMS with FTP

allen@gitpyr.UUCP (P. Allen Jensen) (02/22/86)

I have seen several references to TCP/IP on VAX/VMS.  What are
the sources for this ?  My DEC sales rep told me that he did not
know of any but that I could get the Drivers from DEC.
--
        "It's quite easy, if you don't know how.
         That's the important bit.  Be not at all

P. Allen Jensen
Manager, Systems Division
GTICES Systems Laboratory
Department of Civil Engineering
Georgia Insitute of Technology
Atlanta Georgia, 30332-0355
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!allen

postel@prls.UUCP (Tim Postel) (02/24/86)

> I have seen several references to TCP/IP on VAX/VMS.  What are
> the sources for this ?  My DEC sales rep told me that he did not
> know of any but that I could get the Drivers from DEC.

> P. Allen Jensen

*** RELINE THIS PLACE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

I don't work for them so this is not an ad:

Try:

      The Wollongong Group
      1129 San Antonio Road
      P.O. Box 51860
      Palo Alto, CA 94303
      (415) 962-7200
      TWX 910-373-2085 WOLLONGONG PLA.

-Tim

--

{allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!philabs!prls!postel
or

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) (02/27/86)

In article <2401@prls.UUCP> postel@prls.UUCP (Tim Postel) writes:
>> I have seen several references to TCP/IP on VAX/VMS.  What are
>> the sources for this ?  My DEC sales rep told me that he did not
>> know of any but that I could get the Drivers from DEC.
>
>> P. Allen Jensen
>
>*** RELINE THIS PLACE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>I don't work for them so this is not an ad:
>
>Try:
>
>      The Wollongong Group
>      1129 San Antonio Road
>      P.O. Box 51860
>      Palo Alto, CA 94303
>      (415) 962-7200
>      TWX 910-373-2085 WOLLONGONG PLA.

Their product is now sold by DEC.

Jeff Siegal - MIT EECS

pritch@osu-eddie.UUCP (Norman Pritchett) (02/28/86)

In article <2401@prls.UUCP> postel@prls.UUCP (Tim Postel) writes:
>> I have seen several references to TCP/IP on VAX/VMS.  What are
>> the sources for this ?  My DEC sales rep told me that he did not
>> know of any but that I could get the Drivers from DEC.
>
>> P. Allen Jensen
>
>I don't work for them so this is not an ad:
>
>Try:
>
>      The Wollongong Group
>      1129 San Antonio Road
>      P.O. Box 51860
>      Palo Alto, CA 94303
>      (415) 962-7200
>      TWX 910-373-2085 WOLLONGONG PLA.
>
>-Tim

I'd tell your sales rep to get on the ball.  Wollongong's is the TCP/IP
implementation DEC has given its blessings on and actually markets for their
VMS systems.

--
Norm Pritchett, The Ohio State University
BITNET: TS1703 at OHSTVMA	Bellnet: (614) 422-0885

bob@sdcsvax.UUCP (Robert Hofkin) (03/07/86)

This is a reposting -- the original seems to have been swallowed.

We've had Wollengong's TCP/IP product on a VMS system for a few
months, and so far it has performed far below our expectations.
We are trying to resolve these problems with Wollengong, but so far:

  * Flow control in TELNET is incompatible with 4.2BSD Unix
    implementations.

  * The FTP server cannot handle passwords over 8 characters long.

  * Unix-compatible libraries were not provided...QIO isn't portable.

  * VMS-to-Unix mail is extremely restricted and unreliable [mostly the
    fault of VMS].

  * I am told there are problems in a cluster environment.

Wollengong's phone support is generally friendly, but not especially
knowledgeable.  They can help you understand the documentation, but
often have to ask around to resolve bugs.  They're slow to call back,
but send update tapes readily.

Given the cost of the package and its level of incompleteness, I
would probably recommend that you investigate the competition more
fully before reaching a decision.  (We accepted an internal GE
recommendation and did not perform a full evaluation.)

gdmr@cstvax.UUCP (George D M Ross) (03/11/86)

In article <1517@sdcsvax.UUCP> calmasd!rjh@UCSD (Bob Hofkin) writes:
>  * VMS-to-Unix mail is extremely restricted and unreliable [mostly the
>    fault of VMS].

More likely the fault of Wollongong.  We have the VMS mail system integrated
nicely into our networking code via the foreign protocol hook.  It isn't
restricted and it isn't unreliable.

--
George D M Ross, Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Edinburgh, Scotland
Phone: +44 31-667 1081 x2730