[soc.religion.christian] SCRIPTURE PASSAGES: DESTRUCTION OF BABYLON

oopdavid@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (David J. Rodman) (01/30/91)

Can anyone refer me to the old testament verses concerning the destruction
of babylon?  Your response would be appreciated!

Thank you.

cms@gatech.edu (02/03/91)

In article <Jan.30.03.43.26.1991.16079@athos.rutgers.edu>, oopdavid@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (David J. Rodman) writes:
> Can anyone refer me to the old testament verses concerning the destruction
> of babylon?  Your response would be appreciated!
>
> Thank you.

 Psalm 137:8-9 is a prayer that Bablyon be destroyed:  "O daughter of
Babylon, you destroyer, happy the man who shall repay you the evil you
have done us!  Happy the man who shall seize and smash your little ones
against the rock!"

 Isaiah, though, really rails against Babylon.  Isaiah 13 begins the
visions of Isaiah concerning Babylon.  Isaiah 14 is a diatribe and
taunt-song against the king of Babylon.  The railing against Bablyon
ends at verse 23, which is followed by woes on Assyria and Philistia
and Moab, etc.  21:9 is a rather famous verse, "Fallen, fallen, is
Babylon, and all the images of her gods are smashed to the ground."
Immediately preceding is some Revelation to John imagery.  47:1-4
calls the virgin daughter of Babylon dethroned who will sit in the
dust and grind flour like a common working girl; who will remove her
veil (a great shame), strip her clothes, bare her legs, so that her
nakedness will be gazed upon to her shame.  48:14 declares God's
intent to do his will against Babylon and the progeny of Chaldea.

 Jeremiah 25:12-14 tells how the Lord will punish the king of Babylon.
In 28:2 the Lord promises to break the yoke of the king of Babylon and
restore the temple.  A lot of this is simply repeated in Jeremiah.
Chapters 50 and 51 give details about Babylon's destruction (a spirit
of destruction from God is sent to Babylon).

 My favorite is the fifth chapter of Daniel with the famous writing on
the wall passage.  Daniel interprets the vision in 5:18-29.

--
                                   Sincerely,
Cindy Smith