[soc.religion.christian] Starry starry night . . .

kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) (01/09/91)

On this, the first Sunday of Epiphany, I noticed that I've never heard
a sermon on Wise Men that addresses the astrological aspect.

Christians generally disapprove of astrology (though having looked through
several lists of Scripture verses provided to demonstrate that astrology is
verboten, I have discovered that most of the verses named have nothing to
do with the subject), and we Modern Smart People know that it's all bunk.

Isaiah certainly doesn't seem to think much of it, essentially saying
(in 47:13-15) that it's all rot.

In Matthew 2, however, we read of the Magi coming to find Jesus.  They are
generally considered to have been astrologers from Persia or Arabia.  They
know it is the time for him, they say, because "we saw his star in the
east" (v2).

Worse yet, the return to their own country (and apparently their religion),
and nobody has even explained The Four Spiritual Laws to them!  Not once in
the entire passage does the phrase `substitutionary atonement' appear.

If astrology really is bad, why doesn't anybody tell the Magi?  And if it's
really so much hokum, what do we make of there being a Scripture story that
describes successful predictions based on positions of stars?

kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu      Darren F. Provine      ...njin!gboro!kilroy
"If one is really a superior person, the fact is likely to leak out without
 too much assistance." -- John Andrew Holmes

philpot@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (philpot) (01/15/91)

In article <Jan.9.02.44.52.1991.2636@athos.rutgers.edu> kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) writes:

>   On this, the first Sunday of Epiphany, I noticed that I've never heard
>   a sermon on Wise Men that addresses the astrological aspect.

We had a very interesting and even novel sermon at my church the 2nd
Sunday of Advent that did deal with this part of the account.

>   Christians generally disapprove of astrology ...
>   If astrology really is bad, why doesn't anybody tell the Magi?  And if it's
>   really so much hokum, what do we make of there being a Scripture story that
>   describes successful predictions based on positions of stars?

The sermon basically identified the three kinds of people in the story
and then looked at their reactions to Jesus' birth:

1. Herod, when he found out about Him, considered him a threat to his
own power and carried out a campaign of infanticide to try to
eliminate this threat.  Category: Fear

2. The religious leaders, when queried by the Magi as to where the
prophecies indicated He would be born, looked in the Scriptures and
knew the right answer, but didn't really act on this knowledge.
Basically, what they had awaited their entire lives was happening in
their midst, and they didn't go out of their way to check it out.
Category: Ambivalence

3. The Magi, who were foreigners and of a different religion, gave him
gifts, acknowledged His lordship and fell down and worshiped Him.
Category: Sincere seeking

The developement was that this was of course just a prefiguration of
God's inclusion of all peoples in the New Covenant.  The wonder of the
visit of the Magi was not that they themselves (via astrology) found
the Christ child themselves, but that God decided to reveal this
wonder to them (non-Jew, foreign, sinner=astrologer, distant) of all
people.

The sermon went on to characterize the gifts they brought:
* gold    - worthy of a king
* incense - recognizing Him as a priest
* myrrh   - embalming material, foreshadowing His saving death
to emphasize the depth of worship the Magi had for the child.

This may not adequately represent the content of the sermon, nor may
it really deal with astrology per se, but I found it nonetheless a
welcome break from the typical Advent treatment of the story.

   kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu      Darren F. Provine      ...njin!gboro!kilroy
   "If one is really a superior person, the fact is likely to leak out without
    too much assistance." -- John Andrew Holmes

Andrew Philpot
Internet: philpot@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov
Usmail:   NASA Ames Research Center, MS 244/17, Moffett Field CA 94035
Phone:    (415) 604-1105

mib@pogo.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (01/15/91)

In article <Jan.9.02.44.52.1991.2636@athos.rutgers.edu> kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) writes:

   On this, the first Sunday of Epiphany, I noticed that I've never heard
   a sermon on Wise Men that addresses the astrological aspect.

I heard one once, and it was pretty interesting.  The idea was that
the revelation to Israel proceeded by the Pentateuch and the prophets,
and that these were gifts to Israel.  But, in line with the idea of an
epiphany, the Gentiles might come to know their need for God through
their own means (astrology in the case of the Magi) and seek God,
finding him.  This became possible with the gift of Christ to all
people, which then extended the gifts to Israel as gifts to all
people.

	-mib
--
    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,

davidh@tektronix.tek.com (David L Hatcher) (01/15/91)

In article <Jan.9.23.43.19.1991.21617@athos.rutgers.edu> srh@cblph.att.com (Steven R Houser) writes:
>[Kilroy noted that Christians generally disapprove of astrology.
>He wonders how people reconcile this with the Wise Men, who came
>based on astrological analysis.  --clh]
>
>Even though the magi were unconnected with Judaism, they must have had the kind
>of attitude toward God that constitutes saving faith.  Hence their appropriate
>worship of the child Jesus.  It may be the faith of these men that caused God
>to reveal truth to them through the only source of revelation they understood.
>
>The magi must have been people who came to God based on general revelation.  What
>verified that they were earnestly seeking God was their response when they saw
>Jesus.

   I look upon the story of the Magi from the complete opposite direction
   and emphasis. To me it is the Divinity with in Christ the the Magi were
   seeking. The person, baby Jesus,  I feel was secondary. It is after all
   the divinity with in that made the person named Jesus so great.

   If one were to look even further into this picture, you might perceive
   that the Zoroastrians, which is the religion that the Magi belonged
   too, as being fire-worshippers. But what they were really worshipping
   is the source of ALL light. The turning towards fire in worship was
   their way of keeping their body, mind and soul, on God. For fire
   purifies all things and the light with in purifies all souls. It
   keeps them aware of the Divine Light that is with in ALL things.
   I say ALL things, because the Zoroastrians also worshipped before running
   streams of water and different places out in nature which open a
   person to the Divine immanence that radiates from ALL. It is their
   interest in light that quite naturally brought them to looking
   towards the stars. Coupling that with the way they approach their
   spiritual way of seeing the Divine with in nature, their interest in
   astrology was very much an important aspect of what formed the outer
   part of their religion.

   The Jews owe much to the Zoroastrians, as do the Christians. It is
   because of the Zoroastrians that the Jews were given freedom in Babylonia.
   The Zoroastrians even helped in rebuilding the temple AND passed to
   the Jews the concept of an evil one, or the Devil.

	David Hatcher

                I have come from the unseen world, nor was I always
                of this world. I was created and have not always been.
                I belong to Ohrmazd (God), not to Ahriman (Devil)
                                _The Teachings of the Magi_

w25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (01/16/91)

It is interesting to note that the Magi belonged to the "old school" of
astrologers who actually made astronomical observations before drawing
their conclusions.  In fact, they may have been the last such, since if
you compare the birthdates given for each zodiacal sign in the newspaper
horoscopes with the actual position of the sun on those dates, it becomes
clear that no one has updated those charts for about 2,000 years.

                   -- Paul Ciszek
                      W25Y@CRNLVAX5               Bitnet
                      W25Y@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU   Internet
                      UUNET!CORNELL!VAX5!W25Y     UUCP
"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."  --Bruce Cockburn

Kevin_Miller.D76_CENTRAL@qmgate.mitre.org (Kevin Miller) (01/16/91)

In article <Jan.9.02.44.52.1991.2636@athos.rutgers.edu>
kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) writes:
> In Matthew 2, however, we read of the Magi coming to find Jesus.  They
are
> generally considered to have been astrologers from Persia or Arabia.
They
> know it is the time for him, they say, because "we saw his star in the
> east" (v2).
>
> Worse yet, the return to their own country (and apparently their
religion),
> and nobody has even explained The Four Spiritual Laws to them!  Not once
in
> the entire passage does the phrase `substitutionary atonement' appear.

I've not heard the term astrologers applied to the Magi.  More often than
not, I hear them referred to as astronomers, because that better conforms
to our present day definitions of astrology and astronomy, particularly
because of the religious implications of astrology.  Also, the Four
Spiritual Laws is one modern day toolused to present the gospel: they
didn't know about it then.

If I remember my theological terminology correctly, 'substitutionary
atonement' refers to Jesus Christ's death and resurrection. Since that
hadn't happened yet, maybe it didn't apply to the Magi in the New
Testament sense.  IMHO the Magi met the basic requirements for being
justified: they sought God, worshiped him and obeyed him.

In general, I think we should be cautious when we attempt to apply our
20th century definitions to Biblical events.  The message of the Bible is
still relavent and powerful: just remember the context.

The opinions presented here are mine alone and
do not reflect in any way those of The MITRE Corporation.
                    Kevin Miller
email: kjm@grotto.mitre.org   or
       Kevin_Miller.D76_Central@qmgate.mitre.org

billg@bony1.bony.com (Bill Gripp) (01/21/91)

Food for thought:

It has also been hypothesized that the ASTROLOGY practiced by the
Magi was more closely related to present day ASTRONOMY than present
day Astrology.  (8^).

trhan@cac.washington.edu (Teri Rhan) (01/21/91)

[Another response to Kilroy's question about why people aren't
bothered by the Wise Men's astrology.  --clh]

About 20 years ago I heard a story that makes for interesting reading
but I have no references to back me up.
Zoroaster was a Prophet of God that lived about 3000 years ago.  He
brought teachings to bring people back to God and after a time had
many followers.  It was said that one of the followers asked when would
He return (after his death) and He told his followers to look for a
new star in the east and if they followed that star, they would find him
as a newborn baby.  So as a result, the Zoroastrians became foremost in
astrology looking for the sign of the return of Zoroaster. When the
Zoroastrian priests, or Magi, came to worship the Lord Jesus, they knew
exactly who to look for and where.  They were actually worshiping the
return of Zoroaster as foretold.  The ending to the story was the prophesy
had been fulfilled so accurately that this was why there are relatively few
Zoroastrians, they became followers of Christ as a fulfillment of
Zoroaster's revelation.

BTW, Zoroaster also prophesied that in about 3000 years from His time,
God would manifest again in a Messiah who would arise to unite all
peoples and "usher in an era of blessedness and peace".  He referred to
this savior as the Shah Bahram, the Promised Lord, the Savior of the
world, the Great Peacmaker.

-Teri
--
   _______________
   /_____________/  _ ______   ___       ___

[Has anybody seen this posting before?  My log shows it went out, but
I don't find it.  It seems to have arrived complete with a comment
from me already present.  Wierd.  --clh]

betsyp@apollo.com (Betsy Perry) (01/24/91)

In article <Jan.20.15.15.49.1991.16505@athos.rutgers.edu> Teri wrote:
>....  The ending to the story was the prophesy
>had been fulfilled so accurately that this was why there are relatively few
>Zoroastrians, they became followers of Christ as a fulfillment of
>Zoroaster's revelation.

I can't speak to the rest of the story, but the reason there are
relatively few Zoroastrians today is quite simple:  They don't
accept converts.  You're either born Zoroastrian, or you're not.
(There was an article in the Wall Street Journal within the last
 few years about a Canadian who is trying fervently to become an
 accepted Zoroastrian convert.  He's not succeeding.)

As to the question of what do Universalists believe about the
fate of sinners, I suspect it depends on the Universalist.  I
reason by the parenthood analogy:  I love my daughter.  There is
nothing that she could do to alter this fact.  We are told that
God loves us as His children; I therefore believe that we cannot
permanently alienate ourselves from that love.  (And for those
who would argue that it's wrong to judge God's love by human
standards, I answer that surely his love is greater, not lesser,
than ours.)

Betsy Perry

BINDNER@auvm.auvm.edu (01/25/91)

billg@bony1.bony.com (Bill Gripp) writes:
.It has also been hypothesized that the ASTROLOGY practiced by the
.Magi was more closely related to present day ASTRONOMY than present
.day Astrology.  (8^).

Ah, no.  Modern day astronomers would not attach any meaning to the
conjunctions known as the star.  They had to be astrologers to know
what the conjuctions meant.  A further thought, magi is the plural of
magician or sorcerer (who usually have to contract with spirits to gain
power).  I would much rather believe them astrologers.

Mike

billg@bony1.bony.com (Bill Gripp) (01/27/91)

In article <Jan.25.00.48.13.1991.13301@athos.rutgers.edu> BINDNER@auvm.auvm.edu writes:
>billg@bony1.bony.com (Bill Gripp) writes:
>.It has also been hypothesized that the ASTROLOGY practiced by the
>.Magi was more closely related to present day ASTRONOMY than present
>.day Astrology.  (8^).
>
>Ah, no.  Modern day astronomers would not attach any meaning to the
>conjunctions known as the star.  They had to be astrologers to know
>what the conjuctions meant.  A further thought, magi is the plural of
>magician or sorcerer (who usually have to contract with spirits to gain
>power).  I would much rather believe them astrologers.
>
>Mike

You hit the nail on the head when you say MODERN DAY.  We are not
discussing Modern Day, we are talking about practices from 2000 years
ago.  While they were Astrologers, the point is that Astrology as
practiced in Jesus's time was more closely related to Modern Day
(there's that phrase again) Astronomy than Modern Day Astrology.

While Astrologers back then did associate some mystical qualities to the
heavens, they did not believe in the horoscope type of Astrology we see
so prevalent today.  They were more concerned with observing the sky
than in using it to make predictions (note I did not say they didn't
make predictions, just that this was not their primary emphasis or
reason for studying the sky).

This brings up another question, is the word MAGI found in the BIBLE or
is this simply used based upon tradition?  And even if it is in the
BIBLE, what is the original Greek word and its meaning (in today's
English of course)?  After all, they are refered to as MAGI, WISE MEN,
KINGS, etc. depending upon what you read.  I would go by a proper Greek
translation not on tradition here.

["magi" is a transliteration of the Greek word used in Mat.  It's
often translated "wise men".  I don't think "kings" would be a
translation.  That they were kings would seem to be legend.  (Indeed
so is the number three, I think.  It's probably based on the fact that
there were three gifts mentioned.)

The abridged Kittel says in non-biblical writings the word can mean a
member of the Persian priestly caste, posessor and user of
supernatural knowledge and power, magician, or deceiver.  Philo seems
to think of magoi as doing scientific research.  The rabbis use as to
mean magician.  In Mt. they believe it means those who have special
wisdom in reading the stars.  --clh]

w25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (02/03/91)

For what it's worth, the New American Bible uses the word "astrologers"
instead of magi.