[soc.religion.christian] Don't mean to be rude, but.......

pluto@maths.tcd.ie (Caroline Tisdall) (02/03/91)

   Terribly sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you're
   all a pack of raving idiots! What grown man in his right mind would
   believe in all this religion nonsense? If only you could look objectivly
   at your beliefs for once, you'd realise that you're all superstitous
   idiots.......

joseph@cs.albany.edu (Jody Richardson) (02/06/91)

> pluto@maths.tcd.ie (Caroline Tisdall) writes:

>    Terribly sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but
>    you're all a pack of raving idiots! What grown man in his
>    right mind would believe in all this religion nonsense? If
>    only you could look objectivly at your beliefs for once,
>    you'd realise that you're all superstitous idiots.......

So what is it that you want here?  Do you just wish to call us
names?  Or do you want to talk about something specific?  I'm
sure there are people who would be interested in hearing why you
feel this way.  Including myself.

I also would be interested in knowing whether you posted this to
soc.religion.* or just s.r.c.  And whether you meant that
men are really the only ones subject to this analysis.

Jody Richardson       | "If you don't get a goodnight kiss, you
joseph@cs.albany.edu  |  get Kafka dreams." -- Hobbes

pillera@etd4260a.erim.org (Joe Pillera) (02/08/91)

>   From: pluto@maths.tcd.ie (Caroline Tisdall)
>   Newsgroups: soc.religion.christian
>   Subject: Don't mean to be rude, but.......
>   Date: 3 Feb 91 04:31:25 GMT
>
>   Terribly sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you're
>   all a pack of raving idiots! What grown man in his right mind would
>   believe in all this religion nonsense? If only you could look objectivly
>   at your beliefs for once, you'd realise that you're all superstitous
>   idiots.......

Interesting, Caroline.  Espeically coming from an e-mail address like
"Trinity College."

I encourage you (as an amateur astronomer and Christian) to go outside
tonite and look up.  What you will see is the Milky Way (galaxy)
consisting of over a 100 million stars like our Sun, and 100's
of billions galaxies (like the Milky Way) in the observable Universe.

When the Voyager I spacecraft reached the orbit of Pluto, it looked
back and tried to photograph the earth.  From that relatively small
distance, the earth was only 12% of one picture element, and thus
didn't even show up in the photograph.

I find it impossible to ponder that, and not see the hand of God.

Regards,
-Joe
--

-----
Joe Pillera                              ERIM

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are solely those of Joe Pillera,
            and not of ERIM or its affiliates.

rjb@akgua.att.com (Robert J Brown) (02/08/91)

In article <Feb.2.23.31.22.1991.27628@athos.rutgers.edu>, pluto@maths.tcd.ie (Caroline Tisdall) writes:

>    Terribly sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you're
>    all a pack of raving idiots! What grown man in his right mind would
>    believe in all this religion nonsense? If only you could look objectivly
>    at your beliefs for once, you'd realise that you're all superstitous
>    idiots.......

I have great needs that have been met by following Jesus.  You're right
Caroline...some(most?) of us are not in our "right minds."  Jesus did
not come to save the Righteous (TM) but he came for the sick and the
lost.  I am most thankful that I have been forgiven much and healed much.

If we appear idiots, please be patient with us since many have come
really far just to be where we are today.

BB (akgua!rjb)

cms@gatech.edu (02/08/91)

(Caroline Tisdall) writes:

>    Terribly sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you're
>    all a pack of raving idiots! What grown man in his right mind would
>    believe in all this religion nonsense? If only you could look objectivly
>    at your beliefs for once, you'd realise that you're all superstitous
>    idiots.......

 Gosh, Chuck, how did this one get past you?  I can understand a
posting supporting the contention that there is no God and people who
believe that God exists or practice their religious beliefs are stark
raving mad or seriously depraved of adequate reasoning skills, however,
this particular posting contained very little information concerning
the author's beliefs or any statements backing up her contentions.

 I would request that Caroline Tisdall give us more information
concerning her beliefs or lack thereof.  For what reason does she
decline to acknowledge the existence of God?  What aspects of
religion are nonsense?  The beliefs from which our morality stems?
Ethics?  Worship?  Ceremony?  Our faith in the existence of an
undefinable substance or element which has no mass and cannot be
measured but which we extrapolate from certain knowns must exist?  In
her belief structure, is "luck" considered part of what she considers
to be the religious experience (i.e., supersitious nonsense like
rabbit's foots, four-leaf clovers, etc.)?

 Since I have looked rationally and realistically and objectively at
my beliefs, I'd like to know if she has given her own beliefs or lack
thereof similar scrutiny?  Has she read Saint Thomas's proof of God's
existence?  Of course, in the end, dear Saint Thomas declared, "it's
all straw.  Burn it," believing that the revelation he had received
from God was even greater than anything he had discovered via his
reason.  Of course, some people think he had a stroke.  So, either
reason is "all straw" or it helps those of us still struggling with
our faith to understand our relationship to God.

--
                                   Sincerely,
Cindy Smith

[I do not necessarily stop postings that I think are groundless,
although at a certain point I may decide that they have so little
content that they are not worth the time to read.  This is a concise
summary of a common atheist view of Christianity, and as such seems
relevant to the subject matter of this group.  The only possible
grounds to reject it would be personal attack.  Normally I would not
allow a posting that called another member of the discussion an idiot.
However it seemed unlikely to me that any of our readers would
actually take personal offense at this posting.  If I'm wrong, I
apologize.  --clh]

benning@uunet.uu.net (02/08/91)

In article <Feb.2.23.31.22.1991.27628@athos.rutgers.edu>, pluto@maths.tcd.ie (Caroline Tisdall) writes:
>    Terribly sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you're
>    all a pack of raving idiots! What grown man in his right mind would
>    believe in all this religion nonsense? If only you could look objectivly
>    at your beliefs for once, you'd realise that you're all superstitous
>    idiots.......

  Yes! I was once of the same opinion. I was so sure that these religious
goofs had their heads in the sand. Superstious meat heads!

One day a friend of mine (and a fellow athist) called me to tell me he
had found the Lord and wanted to share this with me. You can imagine my
shock. For weeks he would call and tell me how by believing in Jesus, he
had been made a new man. Well I "could" hear a different tone in his voice.
And I could tell there "was" the appearance of change. But really, this is
just a lot of garbage right?

After a few more weeks I made the decision to read this mans bible and
use what I read against his claims. When he said "you need this" I would
respond with "yea stupid, what about this you hypocrite..."

I would read the Old testament in the mornings and the New at night. As
I read, I gathered information. Four months passed, and I noticed that I
no longer was reading to prove this crazy friend of mine wrong. In fact,
I noticed I had a sudden change in my perspective. I now was reading the
Bible because it spoke to me. I know that sounds crazy, but I found out
why it is called the word of God. Some how I developed this hunger and
thirst for Scripture.

Finally, one night after finishing the book of John, this atheist who
thought God was for fools said God I believe you are there. I believe in
Jesus and the work he was sent to acomplish. If you are there, and I
believe you are, come to me. Change me.

That night, the Lord came to me. I have never been the same.

So I say to those who were like me, watchout! The truth is available but
you must search for it. Scripture says that if you search for God with
all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, He can be found. If you think
you know better, I would have you check your source. Then check mine.
I'm not talking about religion. Neither does the Bible. Were talking a
living relationship with the living God. Nothing else satisfies!!!

May God bless all who contend against HIM,

B. Benning

kbowman@eng.auburn.edu (Kevin Bowman) (02/08/91)

In article <Feb.2.23.31.22.1991.27628@athos.rutgers.edu> pluto@maths.tcd.ie (Caroline Tisdall) writes:

>   Terribly sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you're
>   all a pack of raving idiots! What grown man in his right mind would
>   believe in all this religion nonsense? If only you could look objectivly
>   at your beliefs for once, you'd realise that you're all superstitous
>   idiots.......

Its understandable that you might find questions of "works and faith" to
be quite ridiculous given your obvious world-view bias.  I would reply to your
polemic that if we are not in our "right mind" then men such as James Clerk
Maxwell, Louis Pasteur, Sir Isaac Newton as well many other great thinkers are
equally "out of their right mind".

I would ask as well on what "objective" grounds would you call religion,
specifically christianity, superstitious?  I would point out that objectivity
is not all that it may originally seem, i.e. it rests on many a priori
assumptions.  Since you find Chrisitianity intellectually untenable, on what
*specific* grounds do you find it so and what would you replace it with?

I hope you will be patient with us as we'll be patient with you.

Kevin Bowman (kbowman@eng.auburn.edu)

Two Foundational Facts of Human Enlightenment:
1:  There is a God
2:  You are not Him

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) (02/12/91)

In article <Feb.8.02.43.05.1991.15362@athos.rutgers.edu> pillera@etd4260a.erim.org (Joe Pillera) writes:

[obnoxious and inflamitory quote deleted in good taste.]

>I encourage you (as an amateur astronomer and Christian) to go outside
>tonite and look up.  What you will see is the Milky Way (galaxy)
>consisting of over a 100 million stars like our Sun, and 100's
>of billions galaxies (like the Milky Way) in the observable Universe.
>
>When the Voyager I spacecraft reached the orbit of Pluto, it looked
>back and tried to photograph the earth.  From that relatively small
>distance, the earth was only 12% of one picture element, and thus
>didn't even show up in the photograph.
>
>I find it impossible to ponder that, and not see the hand of God.

  An awsome sight, no doubt.

   That's interesting, because that is exactly the opposite reaction I
had when pondering the same thing years ago.  I find it difficult to
imagine a god that would create such a huge cosmos with billions of
universes and suns and planets and then proceed to inhabit only our
relatively insignificant planet with life.
   I'm much more apt to believe there are other life forms out there
somewhere, intelligent or not.  The odds just seem to favor it.  If
you can so easily believe in the eternal existence of your god, why
is it so difficult to imagine the eternal existence of the cosmos in
one form or another?
   Further, the simple inability of the human mind to comprehend a
phenomena does not nescesitate the hand of a superior celestial being.
How long did we assume the earth was flat and the sun rotated around
us and the 'stars' were suspended in ether?  Given time I believe man
shall reveal much more about the origins of the cosmos (if, indeed, it
is not eternal in and of itself) and the development of mankind.
   Only time will tell...

>Regards,
>-Joe

Jeff Lindborg

Disclaimer: The U.W. doesn't really care what I say.

[A couple of times in L'Engle's science fiction an angel who is
dealing with humans says that they intentionally avoid encouraging
humans to think about the immensity of the cosmos because people tend
to be overly impressed by sheer magnitude.  In L'Engle's world, there
are beings on both the stellar and microscopic scale.  While they are
both larger and smaller than humans, this does not reflect their
relative importance.  --clh]

davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) (02/12/91)

This posting is for those who think that Christianity is merely a
superstition.

Some time ago I read a small book, "Who Moved The Stone", by Frank
Morison.  The author was from a German university famous for the
Agnostics that graduated there.  Frank was one of them.  Instead of
simply intelluctually arguing his pet theories with his friends of like
mind he decided to go one step better.  He set out to prove the whole
story of Jesus to be a fraud.

He put his analytical mind to work on the Gospels and he also studied
secular literature and documents as well as what ever Jewish sourced
material he could lay his hands on.  He started out convinced that the
story of Jesus was a fiction and so he searched the records to prove it
so.

What is interresting is that there are quite a number of stories of such
critics of Christ who went out to the archaeolical digs and the musty
archives of history who came back from their quest as Christians with a
conviction of that Jesus did indeed live here as the Gospels say He did and
that He is indeed divine as He claims to be.

And so my challenge to you Agnostics and Aetheists:  Go prove what has
not yet been proved.  Instead of simply hyping up your theories in the
company of your budies, go out there and really dig up the evidence to
prove the whole story a fraud.  Really get into it and I can assure you
that you will return a Christian.  Stick with your parlour games and you
will never know what you have missed.  This is not a spectator sport for
those who wish to toss tomatoes from the bleachers.  You have to go dig
up some real evidence one way or the other.

Go for it!

Dave

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) (02/16/91)

In article <Feb.12.04.22.02.1991.13360@athos.rutgers.edu> davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) writes:

>Some time ago I read a small book, "Who Moved The Stone", by Frank
>Morison.  The author was from a German university famous for the
>Agnostics that graduated there.  Frank was one of them.  Instead of
>simply intelluctually arguing his pet theories with his friends of like
>mind he decided to go one step better.  He set out to prove the whole
>story of Jesus to be a fraud.

If you mean he set out to prove the Jesus did not exist, then he set out
on a mission doomed from the start.  There are at least two independed
secular sources which mention the 'Jesus of Nazareth' (although one was
altered by Christian editors and seems to try and indicate the author
believed that Christ was the Messiah, which he did not).

>He put his analytical mind to work on the Gospels and he also studied
>secular literature and documents as well as what ever Jewish sourced
>material he could lay his hands on.  He started out convinced that the
>story of Jesus was a fiction and so he searched the records to prove it
>so.

Well, the story that rose up around Jesus may quite well be fiction.  But
the fact that a man named Jesus existed around that time seems well
accepted.  That has little or nothing to do with the vilidity of
Christianity, however.

>What is interresting is that there are quite a number of stories of such
>critics of Christ who went out to the archaeolical digs and the musty
>archives of history who came back from their quest as Christians with a
>conviction of that Jesus did indeed live here as the Gospels say He did and
>that He is indeed divine as He claims to be.

Wrong.  He did indeed live at the time stipulated.  The question as to the
divinity of Christ cannot be answered objectively by written record or
other evidence.  Remember, the Gospels are biased... they were written some
time after the death of Christ.  The writers needed to show their audience
that Christ was divine and, indeed, the Messiah.  Hence, much of what is
said to have happened in the Gospels (*none* of which is supported by
nonChristian records apart from the mere existence of a teacher named
Jesus) must be taken with a grain of salt.
   Keep in mind that Jesus was not unique in any way.  People just like him
were common around the time when he lived.  Read some of the Jewish
writings you refer to and you see that these other teachers had deciples (some
many more than 12) and they nearly *all* perfomred healings and other
wonders.  In fact, it was almost a requirement to be able to heal to be
considered worthy.  Jesus was unique in that his diciples claimed him to
be the messiah (a strange claim since the messiah was supposed to be of the
Davidic line and rebuild the temple and kick some butt...  i.e. get rid of
the Roman empire... none of which happened).  This claim, of course,
required some fancy footwork in the way of "reinterpretation" of the
Tanak to explain why the messiah fulfilled none of the predictions that
were set out for him.

>And so my challenge to you Agnostics and Aetheists:  Go prove what has
>not yet been proved.  Instead of simply hyping up your theories in the
>company of your budies, go out there and really dig up the evidence to
>prove the whole story a fraud.

I have no need to prove that Jesus did not exist, because I believe he
did.  It is up to you to prove he was the Messiah.  If I said I worshiped
pink elephants that lived in my yard, it would be up to me to prove they
existed, not you.

>Really get into it and I can assure you
>that you will return a Christian.

I have 'really been into it' for some time and I maintain (more so now than
ever) that Christianity (and all other religions) are the product of the
minds of men... nothing more.

>Stick with your parlour games and you
>will never know what you have missed.  This is not a spectator sport for
>those who wish to toss tomatoes from the bleachers.  You have to go dig
>up some real evidence one way or the other.
>
>Go for it!

Went for it and found it to be wanting...

>Dave

Jeff Lindborg

op@bigfoot.acc.Virginia.EDU (Olaf Pors) (02/19/91)

[lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg), in the course of a
discussion on evidence for Christianity, was told
> >Really get into it and I can assure you
> >that you will return a Christian.
He responds
> I have 'really been into it' for some time and I maintain (more so now than
> ever) that Christianity (and all other religions) are the product of the
> minds of men... nothing more.
> Went for it and found it to be wanting...
--clh]

  Hats off to Jeff Lindborg!  It is unusual to hear of
someone interested enough to put their time and energy
where their mouth is, rather than "throwing tomatoes",
perhaps out of emotional reaction and prejudicial bias.

  Josh McDowell also researched the historical and logical
basis for the Christian faith and wrote some books about
it.  The reason that many controversies continue is that
people look for proof, whereas it is not possible to PROVE
that Jesus is/was the Messiah.  Proof is obtained only by
personal observation.  History is not observable; it's
gone.  Therefore, one can only examine all the evidence
left and come to the most logical conclusion.  The problem
is that many people stop short of finding the facts or
have not looked at them objectively.

  You may want to read "Evidence that Demands a Verdict"
(ISBN 0-918956-46-3, Library of Congress No. 78-75041)
and/or "More Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh
McDowell, before closing out the issue.  I'm glad he did
the kind of research that few people attempt or finish (I
certainly didn't).

  Another relevant thought that I don't remember as being
in the first book above (I've only read the first): the
Bible is often rejected as a factual document because it
doesn't stand up to some intellectual analyses, so it
isn't taken seriously by someone looking into the issue of
Jesus as the Messiah.  The Bible is picked apart for
contradictions, lack of detail, etc.  However, it was
never written for such analysis.  The gospels, for
example, were written as testimonies by uneducated men.
Let me attempt to clarify this thought with an analogy:
Let's say my house is on fire and I am not aware of it.  A
stranger who happens to be uneducated and also happens to
barely know English, passes by the burning house.  He comes
running up to me, and with bad grammar and somewhat
disconnected statements, warns me of the situation.  It
would be unfortunate indeed for me to pick apart his
grammar, and decide that his testimony is invalid.  The
proper action is to see for myself (proof).  In the case
of history, one must look at all the evidence available,
but the need to do this does not invalidate the
Biblical record.

  I hope this is of help.

Olaf Pors

mvp@jack.sns.com (Mike Van Pelt) (02/19/91)

In article <Feb.12.04.13.13.1991.13228@athos.rutgers.edu> lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) writes:
>   I find it difficult to imagine a god that would create such a huge
>cosmos with billions of universes and suns and planets and then proceed
>to inhabit only our relatively insignificant planet with life.
>   I'm much more apt to believe there are other life forms out there
>somewhere, intelligent or not.

What does this have to do with disproving Christianity?

I've heard some people say that if life is discovered on other planets,
that this will somehow disprove Christianity.  (I've also heard people
say that if we visit a bunch of planets and find no life, it will prove
that life on Earth is just a cosmic accident.  They want it both ways,
you see...)  But the Bible doesn't say that there isn't life on other
planets.  It doesn't say that there is, either.  So whichever way it
turns out is irrelevant as far as proving or disproving Christianity
goes.

C. S. Lewis wrote a very interesting essay on the subject; I believe
it's in "God in the Dock."  Recommended.  (But then, anything by
Lewis is recommended.)
--
  Caution: Thermostellar device.          Mike Van Pelt
       Handle with care.                  Headland Technology

henning@acsu.buffalo.edu (Karl polypropylene Henning) (02/28/91)