[soc.religion.christian] Questions about the Messiah

ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) (02/11/91)

I have some questions about the Messiah:

[note to the moderator: I find your responses the most enlightening of all
that I read here, and most of the time I'd rather hear yours last, as it
usually hits the nail right on the head. If you send this on to the net, I'd
rather hear your analysis last, if you don't mind.]

1. I've searched my Bible (NEB), and nowhere do I find in any Messiah prophecy
any indication that the Messiah was prophesied to the son of God. So how did
Jesus go from being the Messiah to being the son of God? Are the two
necessarily synonymous within Christianity; they certainly don't appear to be
in Judaism.

When Jesus was asked if he was the Messiah, he answered in the affirmative;
to my knowledge, he never said he was the son of God. I know that he was wont
to say 'my father' and such, but, to me, that just sounds like artistic
license; after all, he did teach us to pray 'Our Father, who art...', so I
can't think of his use of 'my father' as a discriminator in this. My suspicion
in this matter is that his words were construed afterward, but I'm open to
reasonable discussion.

2. I don't know if this is about the Messiah per se, but rather about
ecumenism: If the Jews are not convinced that Jesus was the Messiah, but
Christians are, how is it that rabbis and pastors, etc. can get
together to participate in ecumenical activities? i mean, what can they
possibly have to talk about, if they can't get past this most fundamental of
differences?

3. How can Jews for Jesus and similar groups exist? The coming of the Messiah
was supposed to signal an era of well-being for the Jews, but things have not
been all that good for Jews since Jesus. So how can they possibly justify
belief in a Messiah that has apparently been pretty ineffectual in living up
to the prophecies (at least for them)?

erik

yaccity yacc (don't awk back)

[You'd like my analysis last after what?  There aren't going to be any
me has seen them.

There were a number of concepts in the 1st Cent. of what the Messiah
would be like.  Son of God is one phrase that characterizes the
specific Christian concept of what the Messiah is.  So it's synonymous
with Messiah only for Christians.

Actually in the 1st Cent. this phase could have a somewhat different
implication, since "son of" in Hebrew simply indicated someone with a
particular quality.  Thus a son of God would be a godly person.  It
seems to be used in Deut 32:8 that way.  Some of the NT uses of
the phrase are probably to be taken this way, rather than as
specifically Christian affirmations.  See e.g. Mat 27:54.

However for modern Christians the term is used in light of both the NT
and theological discussions that took place in the 2nd to 4th Cents,
culminating in the concept that Christ is both a normal human and God.
If you're not familiar with these ideas, you might want to take a look
at a book on Church history or Christian doctrine, since it's probably
not practical to give a presentation here that is going to do justice
to the ideas.

The Gospels at least emphasize that Jesus acted with God's authority.
See e.g. Mark 2, where Jesus forgives sins, which is God's prerogative
alone, or John, in which Jesus' "I am" statements seem to be intended
to remind us of God's Name "I am that I am".  (This is clearest in
John 18, where even the soldiers sent to arrest Jesus fall on their
faces when he says "I am".)  One of the major thesis of Hebrews is
that Jesus has a status higher than the angels: "You are my son; today
I have begotten you."  (This is of course from Psalm 2:7, where it is
addressed to the king, and has a less radical meaning.  In the context
of Hebrews however it clearly has a meaning very close to the modern
Christian affirmation of Christ as Son of God.)  I would say that
every part of the NT presents Jesus as having unique authority.  While
the precise images they use are different, they all agree that in some
way he had the authority of God.  Whether Christ was actually as the
NT describes him is of course a matter of faith.

In many ways the Christian concept is better characterized as "God
with us" than "Son of God".  The problem with Son of God is that it
can have several meanings, and some of the most obvious are heretical.
It implies to some a separate supernatural entity that is God's child.
This is in fact the Arian view, which it appears is held by modern
Jehovah's Witnesses.  Mormons also see Jesus as a separate god, though
their concept is not the same as the Arian one.  The orthodox view is
not that Jesus is a separate God, but rather the presence of the one
God in human history.

Of course Christians see Christ as the fulfillment of prophecies about
the Messiah, but I don't think many of us believe that the prophets
fully foresaw what Christ was going to be like.  Some of the most
relevant passages may not be those that explicitly mention the
Messiah, e.g. Ezek. 34:11 ff, which talk about God himself being
present with his people.

--clh]

math1h3@jetson.uh.edu (02/14/91)

In article <Feb.10.21.35.02.1991.20937@athos.rutgers.edu>, ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) writes:
> I have some questions about the Messiah:

> When Jesus was asked if he was the Messiah, he answered in the affirmative;
> to my knowledge, he never said he was the son of God. I know that he was wont
> to say 'my father' and such, but, to me, that just sounds like artistic
> license; after all, he did teach us to pray 'Our Father, who art...', so I
> can't think of his use of 'my father' as a discriminator in this. My suspicion
> in this matter is that his words were construed afterward, but I'm open to
> reasonable discussion.

How you receive this response of mine depends on the extent to which
you believe the Bible.  At Jesus' baptism, 'a voice from heaven said,
"This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." '
--Matthew 3:17, see also Mark 1:11, Luke 3:22.

In John's gospel we also have the testimony of John the Baptist:
"I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him.
I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to
baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down
and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.'  I have seen
and I testify that this is the Son of God."

Similarly at the transfiguration:
"Then a cloud appeared and enveloped them, and a voice came from the
cloud: "This is my Son, whom I love.  Listen to him!"
--Mark 9:7.  See also Matt 17:5, Luke 9:35.

In addition Jesus confirmed Peter's confession: "You are the Christ,
the Son of the living God", for he replied:  "Blessed are you, Simon
son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you my man, but by my Father
in heaven."  Matthew 16:16,17.

As our moderator pointed out, the book of Hebrews interprets Psalm 2
as Messianic.  That this Psalm is Messianic should be apparent to
even a casual reader:

v. 2 'The kings of the earth take their stand
      and the rulers gather together againt the LORD
      and his Anointed One.'

Anointed One = Messiah.

v. 1 and 2 appear to be a reference to the battle of Armageddon, Rev. 16,16,
  Rev 19, 11-21, and in Rev. 19:15  is quoted Psalm 2:9:"He [You] will rule
  them with an iron scepter".

v. 8: 'Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance,
      the ends of the earth your possession.'

This could only mean the Messiah.

> 2. I don't know if this is about the Messiah per se, but rather about
> ecumenism: If the Jews are not convinced that Jesus was the Messiah, but
> Christians are, how is it that rabbis and pastors, etc. can get
> together to participate in ecumenical activities? i mean, what can they
> possibly have to talk about, if they can't get past this most fundamental of
> differences?

For christian pastors to acknowledge a spiritual unity with rabbis who
deny that Jesus is the Messiah, particularly in a worship service, is
essentially a sin against the commandment 'You shall have no other
Gods before me.'  Jews worship a false image of God.  From the Christian
perspective they are unbelievers and idolators.  For a christian to
pretend that they are not is a denial of Christ. I certainly won't accept
as a pastor anyone who behaves in this way.

> 3. How can Jews for Jesus and similar groups exist? The coming of the Messiah
> was supposed to signal an era of well-being for the Jews, but things have not
> been all that good for Jews since Jesus. So how can they possibly justify
> belief in a Messiah that has apparently been pretty ineffectual in living up
> to the prophecies (at least for them)?

Here you pose a tough question.  Many of the Messianic prophecies tell
of the coming of the Messiah and then look forward to Judgement day.
You can't see any period of time in between just by looking at the
prophecy.

I was just looking at a passage like that yesterday, Jeremiah 33:15-16:

	"In those days and at that time
	I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David's line;
	he will do what is just and right in the land.
	In those days Judah will be saved
	and Jerusalem will live in safety.
	This is the name by which it will be called:
	The LORD Our Righteousness."

Christians understand the 'righteous Branch' to be Jesus.  Could it mean
an earthly king and not the Messiah?  To answer this, I want to look at
two interesting passages:  In Genesis 49:10 Jacob says to Judah:

"The scepter will not depart from Judah,
Nor the ruler's staff from between his feet,
until he comes to whom it belongs
and the obedience of the nations is his."

Again, this is clearly Messianic.  It says that a line of kings will come
from Judah, but that the kingship will not be rightly theirs, but God's--
in fact Christ's.  And that the Messiah will have the 'obedience of the
nations'--which ties in pretty well with Psalm 2.  Next in Ezekiel
21:25-27 we read:

"O profane and wicked prince of Israel, whose day has come, whose time
of punishment has reached its climax, this is what the Sovereign LORD
says:  Take off the turban, remove the crown.  It will not be as it
was:  The lowly will be exalted and the exalted will be brought low.
A ruin! A ruin!  I will make it a ruin!  *It will not be restored until
he comes to whom it rightfully belongs; to him I will give it."

Thus the kingship was taken away from Judah, and the only 'righteous
Branch' that could come was the Messiah.

Now what about Judah being saved, and Jerusalem living in safety?
In a sense, Judah was saved in Jesus' time, for he died for their sins
and for their salvation.  And he is our righteousness.  We have none
of our own, but can be justified only by having his righteousness imputed
to us, on account of faith.

Their salvation was accomplished--but not all believed.  I don't have a
problem with this, because the true 'Israel' is always the body of believers.
The unbelievers are 'cut off from the people.'  The next part, about
Jerusalem living in safety, clearly refers to the time after Judgement.
Admittedly this is from a Christian perspective.  Read Rev. 21, which
describes the New Jerusalem.

David H. Wagner
a confessional Lutheran

My opinions and beliefs on this matter are disclaimed by
The University of Houston.

sam4628@summa.tamu.edu (MCCLUNEY, STEVEN ALEXANDER) (02/18/91)

In article <Feb.14.07.19.29.1991.23444@athos.rutgers.edu>, math1h3@jetson.uh.edu writes...
>In article <Feb.10.21.35.02.1991.20937@athos.rutgers.edu>, ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) writes:
>> I have some questions about the Messiah:
>
>> When Jesus was asked if he was the Messiah, he answered in the affirmative;
>> to my knowledge, he never said he was the son of God. I know that he was wont
>> to say 'my father' and such, but, to me, that just sounds like artistic
>> license; after all, he did teach us to pray 'Our Father, who art...', so I
>> can't think of his use of 'my father' as a discriminator in this. My suspicion
>> in this matter is that his words were construed afterward, but I'm open to
>> reasonable discussion.

One other verse to consider is John 8:54, in which Jesus says, "If I glorify
Myself, My glory is nothing; It is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you
say, 'He is our God'...."  This was certainly taken as definitive by the
Jews at the time, along with the following statement in which Jesus claims
the proper name given by God the Father to Moses: "Truly, truly, I say to you,
before Abraham was born, I AM." The name of God, YHWH (transliterated Yahweh
or Jehovah) means I AM.  The reaction of the Jews (they tried to stone Him)
shows that contemporary audiences knew that this implied a unity with God.

      Steven M.
      Texas A&M University

jesse@altos86.Altos.COM ( Jesse Chisholm) (02/27/91)

I am joining this conversation for the first time.

In article <Feb.17.22.31.24.1991.21007@athos.rutgers.edu> sam4628@summa.tamu.edu (MCCLUNEY, STEVEN ALEXANDER) writes:
>In article <Feb.14.07.19.29.1991.23444@athos.rutgers.edu>, math1h3@jetson.uh.edu writes...
>>In article <Feb.10.21.35.02.1991.20937@athos.rutgers.edu>, ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) writes:
>>> I have some questions about the Messiah:
 [ skip original question about Jesus' claims vis-a-vis
   "son of God" and "Messiah" ]
 [ skip some of Steven M.'s response ]
>the proper name given by God the Father to Moses: "Truly, truly, I say to you,
>before Abraham was born, I AM." The name of God, YHWH (transliterated Yahweh
>or Jehovah) means I AM.  The reaction of the Jews (they tried to stone Him)
>shows that contemporary audiences knew that this implied a unity with God.
>
>      Steven M.
>      Texas A&M University

A slight tangent ...

In the Hebrew (really Chaldean and Aramaic but who's counting)
the phrase "I AM THAT I AM" where God provides a name, the
hebrew could be translated in other ways with equal validity.

	I AM WHO I AM BECOMING

	I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE

	I WILL BE WHO I AM

All provide the emphasis of self defining existance that we get
from the traditional, but they each give a different flavor to
how we think of GOD.

Discussion anyone?

--
Jesse Chisholm          | I UNDERSTAND!  That is, I'm not sure exactly what
jesse@Altos86.Altos.COM | it is I've understood, but I have the feeling that

fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Cathy Fasano) (03/07/91)

In article <Feb.26.04.48.44.1991.13120@athos.rutgers.edu> tensmekl@infonode.ingr.com (Kermit Tensmeyer) writes:

>	According to Matthew, and Luke, Jesus had claim (distant) on
>	the throne through both Mary and Joseph, who were direct
>	descendants of David and thus of Tribe Judua. On the other
>	hand, John the Baptist (near Kinsman) (supposedly 2nd
>	cousin) on the other hand, is the son of the (or one of the)
>	High Priests, (of Tribe Levi.) Matthew makes the point to
>	claim that John had the priestly authority to baptise and
>	prepare the way of the Lord.
>
>	So which tribe was he? [Yes, I know! whose son he is. ]

From the way I read Matthew and Luke:

-- Jesus is of the tribe of Judah because Joseph, the husband of
   his mother, is the tribe of Judah.
-- Mary's tribe is irrelevant; she is only his mother.
-- John the Baptist is of the tribe of Levi (class of Abijah)
   because his father Zechariah is.
-- Elizabeth is of the tribe of Aaron, but again this is irrelevant.

So if --
  Mary is of the tribe of Judah (I'm not sure of your source for this.)
  Elizabeth is of the tribe of Aaron (Lk 1:5)
  Mary and Elizabeth are first cousins (Tradition -- Scripture says
                                        only that they are kinswomen.)
then --
  Mary's father and Elizabeth's father are not brothers.

but the other three permutations are still possible:
  Mary's father & Elizabeth's mother are brother & sister
  Mary's mother & Elizabeth's father are sister & brother
  Mary's mother & Elizabeth's mother are sisters
or perhaps Mary and Elizabeth are not first cousins.  (Elizabeth
was "advanced in years" and Mary a young woman.  Perhaps they
are not even of the same generation...)

But all of this is irrelevant to Jesus's tribe.  Since his mother
was married when he was born, he takes Joseph's tribe.

cathy :-)
--
Cathy Fasano   fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu  cathy@gargoyle.uchicago.edu
   "If this is the way you treat your friends, Lord, no *wonder* you have