[net.lan] CCITT networking for BSD UNIX

philipp@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Philip Prindeville) (03/16/86)

I haven't heard much about CCITT protocols getting much acceptance
in UNIX circles lately, with the exception of the EAN message
system from the University of British Columbia C.S. Department.
It has been installed at several sites, and is available for a
reasonable fee.

This got me wondering:

(1)	Does anyone in net-land know of an implementation of
	CCITT protocols (X.25 for [say] a DMF-32 as a network
	interface, or X.224/X.225 network/transport socket code,
	or an X.410 (et. al.) mailer)?

(2)	If yes, how is it and are sources available?

(3)	Is there enough interest on the net to start a group
	specifically about CCITT/ISO standards and their
	implementations?  (Hallo Europe?  Canada?)

I had heard that the Swedish PTT (Post, Telegraph & Telephone) had
implemented it, but I thought that was heresay.

Thanks for any info in advance.

soren@olamb.UUCP (Soeren Rabbe) (03/18/86)

> From: philipp@mit-trillian.UUCP
>
> (3)	Is there enough interest on the net to start a group
>	specifically about CCITT/ISO standards and their
>	implementations?  (Hallo Europe?  Canada?)

A YES to a group, dedicated to discussions on International
Standardisation.

I will support such a group with great enthusiasm - but isn't this
covered by the net.internat already?

I have tried to cross post this message to net.news.group, as I believe
it must be the proper group for this discussion.

Regards
	Soren Rabbe
	AmbraSoft A/S
	Denmark - Europe!