[soc.religion.christian] Evening Prayer

cms@gatech.edu (02/14/91)

 I have recently become involved in the Third Order Franciscans.  Part
of our daily devotion is Evening Prayer.  I have a sky-blue book
called "Morning and Evening Prayer (with selected Pslams and readings
for the Church Year)" compiled and edited by Howard Galley (Seabury
Press, New York), however, I'm having trouble figuring out
how-to-pray-evening-prayer.  Can anyone send me a how-to description
of Evening Prayer?  It requires a certain amount of hopping around
(the book, I mean :-)) and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Either post or email would be fine.  Thanks!

 Oh, yes, I don't suppose the Roman rite is very much different from
the Anglican rite.  I'd be interested in any differences which may
exist.  (I am Episcopalian.)

--
                                   Sincerely,
Cindy Smith

tconwell%oiscola@mathcs.emory.edu (Ted Conwell) (02/27/91)

Dear Cindy,

I just started reading this news group and your article was the first in the
queue.  Maybe it is God's will.

I have been a Third Order Franciscan (Episcopalian) since the middle 1970's.
I became involved with the order while living in San Francisco and spent many
an evening with the brothers at their Friary.

Evening Prayer is best followed from the Prayer Book.  There is a minimum of
jumping around (psalm in the back and Scripture readings from the Bible) and
it is quite simple.  Do you do Morning Prayer also?  What about the noon office
and Compline?

I hope that you have a support group of other Franciscans near you.  I am the
only one in Columbia, SC and it gets lonely.  I was one of 7 in the greater
Cincinnati/Dayton area when I lived there.  I was the only one in San Diego,
but we had a good fellowship that met frequently in Riverside and I was able
to make some of those meetings.  Also, the Southern California fellowship met
frequently on Saturdays to permit people to make the meetings.  We had members
all over the greater LA basin.

It is best if you can start saying the offices with others and then branch out
on your own.  It takes some time to get used to the sequence, but it is worth
it.

I hope that you have received input from others and I hope that this e-mail
gets to you.  If so, please keep in touch.

cms@gatech.edu (03/08/91)

Ted,

 I've tried to respond to you via email, but my messages keep
bouncing, so I decided to post my response instead.

>From: tconwell%oiscola@mathcs.emory.edu (Ted Conwell)
>Subject:Evening Prayer
>Date: 27 Feb 91 05:34:25 GMT
>
>Dear Cindy,
>
>I just started reading this news group and your article was the first in the
>queue.  Maybe it is God's will.
>
>I have been a Third Order Franciscan (Episcopalian) since the middle 1970's.
>I became involved with the order while living in San Francisco and spent many
>an evening with the brothers at their Friary.

Ted,

 Hi!  I'm pleased to meet you.  Perhaps it was God's will indeed!

>Evening Prayer is best followed from the Prayer Book.  There is a minimum of
>jumping around (psalm in the back and Scripture readings from the Bible) and
>it is quite simple.  Do you do Morning Prayer also?  What about the noon office
>and Compline?

 I've been attempting to follow it from the Prayer Book.  I've gotten
lots of helpful advice from people.  Lately, I've been using the Roman
Catholic evening prayer; not only is it richer, I find it easier to
follow than the Prayer Book.  I am a Catholic but I used to be a Roman
Catholic.  Now, I am a Catholic Episcopalian.  I may begin to pray
Compine sometime, but, for now, evening prayer is enough for me since
I also pray the Rosary in the evening as well.

>I hope that you have a support group of other Franciscans near you.  I am the
>only one in Columbia, SC and it gets lonely.  I was one of 7 in the greater
>Cincinnati/Dayton area when I lived there.  I was the only one in San Diego,
>but we had a good fellowship that met frequently in Riverside and I was able
>to make some of those meetings.  Also, the Southern California fellowship met
>frequently on Saturdays to permit people to make the meetings.  We had members
>all over the greater LA basin.

 I was at the last Convocation right here in Atlanta at Saint Ignatius
House.  Were you there, by chance?  Actually, I think it was the
Southeastern Convocation or something like that, so perhaps you're out
of our district.  I'm not quite sure how the Franciscans are divided
up.

 Perhaps you'd care to join a mailing list I maintain called
"Episcopal Digest"?  I also maintain another list called
"FREE CATHOLICS" which is what's it's name sounds like:  A mailing
list for Catholics of the Anglican, Roman, and Orthodox Communions,
or related communions, although anyone can join the list.  I
understand there are three other Georgians in the Third Order, and I
have their names somewhere, but being just an aspirant at the moment
(I am currently working on my personal Rule with my Spiritual Advisor
and haven't yet submitted it), I thought I'd wait to contact them
until I get a little bit further along.  I met them at the Convocation
and they're nice folks.

>It is best if you can start saying the offices with others and then branch out
>on your own.  It takes some time to get used to the sequence, but it is worth
>it.

 I thought I might go down to Saint Philip's Cathedral in downtown
Atlanta and attend evensong sometime.  That should let me know if I'm
doing it right.

>I hope that you have received input from others and I hope that this e-mail
>gets to you.  If so, please keep in touch.

 Yes, let's keep in touch!  Thanks for your posting.

--
                                   Sincerely,
Cindy Smith