[soc.religion.christian] Interfaith - How should Christians respond?

djdaneh@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) (02/28/91)

In article <Feb.25.08.40.09.1991.1033@athos.rutgers.edu> ee8kag@gdt.bath.ac.uk (K A Goatman) writes:

>I know of one local church which is heavily committed to it.  Can anyone
>think of any examples *from the life of Jesus* which may throw some
>light on what his response would be?

>The only verse that sprung to mind is John 14v6 - 'I am the way ...
>no one comes to the Father except by me'

He also said that He had "other flocks to tend," and that "in My Father's house
there are many Mansions."

Further:  He said "except by Me," not "except by the Church."  Salvation is
through Grace, not through church-membership.

Recall the story of those who are saved and say in amazement, "We knew you not!"
-- but Christ said that "as you have done to each of these, you have done also
to Me."  This is dangerously close to reopening the deadly dull Faith Vs Works
argument:  but I suggest that these passages at least _imply_ that salvation
is possible outside of Christianity.

I confess, however, that I am somewhat biased in this matter in that I am
married to an atheist/agnostic (depending on when you ask her) and sincerely
want to believe that she can be saved, since I know almost certainly that she
won't be converted.

		From that day on, Ootai always called me "Mektangonagooligooli,"
		an ancient Inuit word meaning "he who eats mice and pisses on
		his own luggage."

The Roach

ee8kag@gdt.bath.ac.uk (K A Goatman) (03/06/91)

>[What do you mean by the interfaith movement?  Are we talking about
>ecumenical action among Chistians, cooperation with non-Christians on
>specific projects where we share goals, or a commitment to the idea
>that "it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you are sincere"?
>--clh]

Sorry that the posting was a bit unclear on this point.  Of the options
listed above it is the later which I believe sums it up.

The Interfaith group here in Bath says that it exists to promote dialogue
between different faiths; to show that religious dogmatism is man-made and
to show there is a unity in all religions.

It is certainly true that many of the world's problems can often be
attributed to religious pressures or intolerance.  Some people could no
doubt argue that the world would be a far better place if religions
were simply abolished (and there have been many threads on this theme!)

The early church, though, were clearly rigorous in maintaining their religious
purity.  For instance, at the council of Jerusalem (Acts 15) there
were arguments about whether the Jewish practices which were creeping into
the church were acceptable.  Judaism is surely the closest 'relative' to
the Christian faith and yet there could not even be compromise with the Jews!

Examples like this are easy to find.  I am really looking for examples
from the life and teaching of Jesus which might shed some light on the
subject.

Keith.
ee8kag@gdt.bath.ac.uk

liu@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Peter T Liu) (03/06/91)

In article <Feb.25.08.40.09.1991.1033@athos.rutgers.edu> ee8kag@gdt.bath.ac.uk (K A Goatman) writes:

>How do you think Christians should respond to the ever increasing
>interfaith movement?

>[What do you mean by the interfaith movement?  Are we talking about
>ecumenical action among Chistians, cooperation with non-Christians on
>specific projects where we share goals, or a commitment to the idea
>that "it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you are sincere"?
>--clh]

To find the answer to this question, let's turn to the Bible.
You already mentioned one of several Scriptures which I was going
to look up.

>The only verse that sprung to mind is John 14v6 - 'I am the way ...
>no one comes to the Father except by me'

Jesus did not agree with the modern, relaxed view that there
are many roads, many religions, all leading to salvation.  Instead,
he said at Matthew 7:13-14:

	"Go in through the narrow gate,
	 because broad and spacious is
	 the road leading off into
	 destruction, and many are the
	 ones going in through it,"
	"whereas narrow is the gate
	 and cramped the road leading
	 off into life, and few are
	 the ones finding it."

We see from the above that Jesus was quite blunt about the point.

Also, Paul drives home the point that there is only one true faith.
He writes at Ephesians 4:5: "one Lord, one faith, one baptism."

Furthermore, please turn to John 8:42-47.  There we read what
Jesus thought of the religious leaders who pretended to be
righteous but disrespected God.

As to whether a Christian should support interfaith or ecumenical
movements, I leave it up to the reader to decide.  You have the Bible's
word in front of you.  Make your decisions based on the Bible.

Here are some more Scriptures which may be of interest.

1 Timothy 4:1-3

	"However, the inspire utterance says definitely
	 that in later periods of time SOME WILL FALL AWAY
	 FROM THE FAITH,

	 (1) paying attention to misleading inspired utterances
	  and the teachings of demons, by the (2) hypocrisy of
          men who speak lies, marked in their conscience as
          with a branding iron;"

	"(3) forbidding to marry,
	 (4) commanding to abstain from foods which God created
	  to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who
	  have faith and accurately know the truth."

(Numbers, layout, all-caps mine; to bring out important details)

Titus 1:16

	"They publicly declare they know God, but they disown
	 him by their works, because they are detestable and
	 disobidient and not approved for good work of any
	 sort."

What I have quoted above is from the Bible; therefore, do not
flame me.

Let the reader use his (or her) own discernment.

>Keith Goatman
>ee8kag@gdt.bath.ac.uk

Peter T. Liu
liu@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

DISCLAIMER: Not Upenn's opinions

billy@stl.stc.co.uk (Billy Khan) (03/07/91)

[...]

							^^^^^^^^^^^^^

						You cannot say this if you
accept John 14v6!!! There is no salvation outside of Jesus Christ, period!

*I confess, however, that I am somewhat biased in this matter in that I am
*married to an atheist/agnostic (depending on when you ask her) and sincerely
*want to believe that she can be saved, since I know almost certainly that she
*won't be converted.

	Believe she can be saved for goodness sake! How do you know she
won't be converted? Do you know the lords idea for that person? By saying
you don't think she can be converted you are saying that God can't do
everything! Gods knows what it would take to convert her, he could do it.
You must continue to pray to that end!

		From that day on, Ootai always called me "Mektangonagooligooli,"
		an ancient Inuit word meaning "he who eats mice and pisses on
		his own luggage."

The Roach

[You might want to look at I Cor 7:14 in this context.  --clh]

djdaneh@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) (03/09/91)

In article <Mar.7.03.24.26.1991.21614@athos.rutgers.edu> billy@stl.stc.co.uk (Billy Khan) writes:
--quoting moi--

>...these passages at least _imply_ that salvation *is possible
>outside of Christianity.

>						You cannot say this if you
>accept John 14v6!!! There is no salvation outside of Jesus Christ, period!

First of all, please include the quotes you reference.  Not all of us
have Bibles at our desks.

Second, I didn't say "outside of Christ," I said "outside of Christianity."
I don't deny that all salvation is through Christ; I wonder what "through
Christ" actually means.

Does it mean perfect obedience to Christ?  Then none of use are saved,
not one.

Does it mean membership in some specific Church?  Which one, and how
do you know?

Does it mean membership in *some* Church?  Or some specific profession of
faith in {God|Christ|the Pope|some specific Church|some specific minister|
some specific liturgy|etc.}?  And again -- how do you know which one?

I don't know what it means and I suggest that none of us knows what it
means.  I know that Christ will save whom He will save; but I don't know
what His criteria are.  I know what he said about it -- and the single
point he returned to most often, seems to have been the law of Love.

Will Christ save only Christians?  Maybe.  But I know that saying He
can only save people who do or think or believe X is to impose limits
on omnipotence.  He can save Satanists, if He chooses.

One thing Christianity must never be is an excuse to feel smug about
being saved.  As soon as we feel that, it's stopped being true.

>	Believe she can be saved for goodness sake! How do you know she
>won't be converted?

Because I know her far better than you do.  By direct intervention from
God, she could be converted; anything less would go right by her "show
me" attitude.  She thinks God is *irrelevant*.  An attitude I can't
comprehend:  but I know what it means to her.

>Do you know the lords idea for that person? By saying
>you don't think she can be converted you are saying that God can't do
>everything!

By saying she can't be saved unless she is converted, you
are saying that God can't do everything!

>[You might want to look at I Cor 7:14 in this context.  --clh]

Yes.  Other individuals have also referred me to this.  I want to thank
them publically, and you too, Charles.  I went to a bookstore at
lunchtime and looked it up (as I said, I don't keep a Bible at my
office):  and found myself weeping tears of joy.

Thank you all.

Dan'l